Report: Partner of murdered Officer Ella French transferred to rehab, paralyzed and missing an eye


CHICAGO, IL – Chicago Police Officer Carlos Yanez Jr., who was left paralyzed and without an eye after being shot alongside fallen Officer Ella French, has been transferred to a rehab facility, according to reports.

While Officer Yanez still has a long road to recovery, Superintendent David Brown remarked his move to rehab serves as a “major step in his recovery process.”

During the August 7th traffic stop that resulted in Officer French being killed, Officer Yanez was the second officer on-scene during the stop that also shot.

After being struck three times during the incident, Officer Yanez was left partially paralyzed and lost his right eye.

Officer Yanez’s father, a former Chicago Police officer himself, said that there are still complications with removing some of the bullets from his son:

“They operated three times. They still can’t get the bullets out, but he’s still fighting. He’s still trying to live for his son – 3-year-old son, Carlos III.”

Yanez Sr. said that he’d spoken with his son mere minutes before he was shot on the evening of August 7th:

“He said, ‘I love you Dad.’ ‘All right, love you son.’ Then, 20 minutes later, I get that call.”

Officer Yanez’s father credits the third officer who was on the scene during the night of the shooting, Officer Josh Blas, with saving his son’s life:

“Josh – the third officer – Blas, I believe saved my son in responding the way he did, and got Ella as fast to the hospital and Junior as fast to the hospital as he could. My brothers in blue, and sisters, I thank you. Please be safe. Godspeed.”

Superintendent Brown noted that Officer Yanez “still has a long road ahead” regarding his recovery, but is pleased to see that his condition is starting to improve:

“He still has a long road ahead, but we are grateful for the progress he is making. Please continue to keep him and his family, and the French family, in your thoughts and prayers. Also, let’s keep Ella’s and Carlos’ partner and all CPD officers in your prayers as well.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Watch: State police investigating after memorial for fallen Chicago Police Officer Ella French vandalized

(Originally published August 22nd, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL- According to reports, video has surfaced on social media showing someone vandalizing a memorial for fallen Chicago Police Officer Ella French.

Officer French was fatally shot during a traffic stop in West Englewood on August 7th. Many people, old and young, from the community have paid their respects since the tragic incident.

But videos on Twitter, which were posted to a page that has since been deleted, reportedly show someone attempting to knock over a memorial inside the Thompson Center where there was a “Back the Blue” wreath and photo of French.

When the attempt to knock over the memorial was unsuccessful, the person filming grabbed the photo of French from the stand and balled it up while walking away. The individual tweeted a message along with the video, saying:

“I got ma’am’ed once but kept walking without looking back with my big headphones on #AbolitionNow.”

The individual shared another video that shows them trying to kick the entire memorial over, but the display only moved a couple of inches. They wrote:

“That didn’t pan out.”

The Chicago Police Department (CPD) released the following statement regarding the incident:

“Office Ella French will live forever in our hearts. She was kind, respectful, compassionate, brave, loyal, dedicated, selfless. The exact opposite of this senseless act of vandalism.”

The footage of the attempted vandalism was posted on Twitter just a day after Officer French was laid to rest. The video also sparked outrage online with many calling it a disgraceful and disgusting act.

Many began calling for her to be fired from her job. However, the company that the woman listed on her LinkedIn profile stated that she is a former employee. In a social media post, the company wrote:

“We are disgusted by what she has done and want to make clear to everyone that this person’s opinions in no way represent the perspectives or values of Clockedin. Our sympathies go out to the families affected by this incident.” 

As of this writing, it is unclear if that woman has been arrested or charged. The incident is classified as a Class 4 felony.

Authorities said that the Illinois State Police were investigating, since the vandalism happened in a state government building. The memorial has since been removed from the spot seen on the video.

Many members of the community showed up in person to pay their respects for Officer French. Two little girls, a nine-year-old and a 6-year-old, were dressed in their own Chicago Police officer shirts and hats. The girls’ older brother, a Chicago Police officer said:

“They’re just good spirits. We thought it would be uplifting to bring our little sisters here. Put some smiles on some faces.”

In addition to the young girls’ brother, their father is also a Chicago Police officer. The brother added:

“It’s, it’s really hard. I think everyone feels it. And I don’t know. It was very difficult hearing the news.”

News of Officer French’s killing hit 13-year-old Andrew Vreeland hard. He said:

“I’m just unhappy because I don’t think they deserve to die in service.”

Vreeland paid his respects to Officer French and added:

“I think it’s amazing to see everyone honoring these people, you know, all of these cops from different towns, all over the place.”

The funeral was sad for all in attendance, but people watching said they walked away from it with a sense of strength and peace. One of those individuals was Hazel Brown, who stated:

“I had to come witness this. I wanted to be a part of this.”

Brown had the day off, but decided to come to work at her candy shop along the procession route, stating that she opened her door for officers who needed a cool space. She added:

“I really am sad today, but I’m happy in a way too because this shows a lot of love and support for each other.”

The brother of the young girls said that the hope is to send a message to the youngest in attendance, the future leaders who now have a hero to look up to. He added:

“Hopefully they can look up to Ella someday and recognize that’s someone they can be proud of and she can be a mentor for them and someone they can look up to no matter where they go.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspects arrested in murder of Chicago cop are convicted felons on probation – and now their mom has been arrested

(Originally published August 11th, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – Two of the three suspects arrested in the murder of Chicago police officer Ella French are convicted felons on probation, and their mother has also been arrested after creating a disturbance at a local  hospital.

As Law Enforcement Today previously reported, Officer Ella French was killed in the line of duty on Saturday, August 7, when she and her partner pulled over a vehicle for expired plates that were not registered to the vehicle.

According to CBSN Chicago, after driver Eric Morgan, 22, ran away from the scene, his brother and passenger Emonte Morgan, 21, began struggling with French and her partner.  

Emonte Morgan fired several shots at both officers, striking them both, then fired at a third officer, who returned fire and shot Emonte Morgan in the abdomen.

Officer French tragically died of her injuries, and her partner continues to fight for his life in the hospital.

According to CWB Chicago, both Morgan brothers are convicted felons on probation.

Emonte Morgan has a robbery conviction on his record. 

This event occurred in August of 2019, when Morgan met a 36-year-old victim to purchase his $900 iPhone.  At the meeting, Morgan took the phone and ran away.

The victim caught Morgan and tackled him, and the pair fought.  A passerby also intervened and helped to detain Morgan until police arrived on the scene.

Morgan was initially charged with felony theft and misdemeanor battery.  In November of 2020, he pled guilty to one count of robbery in exchange for two years probation, which was still in effect at the time he allegedly shot and killed Officer French.

In May of 2021, CWB Chicago also reports, prosecutors also filed a motion for violation of probation “after Morgan allegedly fled the scene of an accident involving injury.”

As for Emonte Morgan’s brother Eric, CWB Chicago notes that he allegedly robbed four people of $180 in Madison, WI in June 2018, and “later pleaded guilty to felony theft, according to court records.”  The New York Post reports that he, too, was on probation at the time of the shooting.

Also according to the New York Post, Emonte Morgan has been charged with “first-degree murder of a peace officer, attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer (two counts), aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.”

Eric Morgan has been charged with “aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice.”

A third suspect, Jamal Danzy, has been charged with federal firearm violations for straw purchasing the weapon Emonte Morgan allegedly used in the murder, and providing it to him.

The Morgan brothers’ mother, 41-year-old Evalena Flores, has also been arrested after she created a disturbance at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where Emonte Morgan is being treated for a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

CBS Chicago reports that Flores “became angry …when she was unable to see her son.”

The New York Daily News adds that she allegedly kicked a hospital security officer in the groin before her arrest.

Livestream video on social media, reportedly streamed by Flores, shows Flores screaming and struggling with officers.

According to Oak Lawn Police, “Flores will be charged with misdemeanor offenses including battery, resisting a peace officer, and criminal trespass to real property.”  She has a court date in September.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts