Police: 1 year old killed, twin badly beaten with ‘unspeakable’ injuries. Grandma says mom’s boyfriend did it.


ECORSE, MI- Early Tuesday morning, around 5am, police and fire personnel responded to an apartment for an unresponsive 1-year-old. 

When they arrived on scene, the discovered the baby on the hood of a vehicle with injuries that were described as unspeakable. 

The child was rushed to the hospital and as police continued their investigation, they found his twin brother inside the home, also badly beaten. 

The first child, Zyaire Reed, died from his injuries at Children’s Hospital. 

His brother Zion had surgery to repair a broken femur as well as multiple other bones.  Police say that the children and their mother, Lisa Reed, had been sharing an apartment with Reed’s boyfriend, James Gibson, for the last three months. 


Police say that Reed and Gibson did respond to the hospital at the onset of the investigation. 

However, being that he allegedly has a history of child abuse and had several active warrants, he decided to take the family vehicle and flee before he could be arrested. 

Reed was taken into custody and a manhunt was started for Gibson.  Police worked with the Fugitive Apprehension Task Force, which tracked him down after 12 hours to a family members house in Sumpter Township. 

Both Reed and Gibson will be charged in some degree, it is unclear exactly who will face what charges at this point.

Ricky Tanner, an uncle of the two children reacted to the incident by saying:

“Two very innocent boys, happy loving children.  To realize what happened in that home to those boys.  It angered me and brought me to a level I never thought I would understand.”

Ecorse Police Inspector Timothy Sassak, a 32 year veteran, said:

“This is the worst I’ve ever seen.” 

According to the News-Herald, a doctor told Sassak the injuries were severe and that Zyaire was pronounced dead on arrival.  Both children had significant injuries to their lips, ears, and had broken blood vessels in their eyes. 

Zion also had two broken clavicle bones, broken nose, hip, and bleeding on his brain. 

Police advised that there also appeared to be older injuries preset on both of the children showing that the physical abuse had been occurring for some time.

Officers at the scene, according to the News-Herald, appeared to be having a difficult time dealing with the violence they witnessed down to two babies by their caregivers. 

This is something that happens on these types of calls, officers and detective witness the worst that people do to each other, it is always disheartening when those who are charged to protect feel as if they could not protect the most vulnerable. 

Gibson was currently out on parole when this incident occurred.  He had been released from prison because of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

There are a lot of people who know of the situation in the town that do not believe that Gibson should have ever been released from prison, including Tanner, who wants him to know exactly what he feels.  Tanner says that Gibson is a “coward, a violent coward.” 

He continued:

“If you are going to do something like that to a child, what else is he capable of?  I want him to know what he did to this family.  I want him to know the suffering.” 

Tanner advised that Zion was having a hard time in the hospital and was “struggling.” 

He is in need of emergency surgery at Detroit Children’s Hospital of Michigan. 

Zion will require multiple procedures if he is to live, and it is still too early to determine how much of a normal life he will be able to lead after this incident. 

The family is requesting any donations to help with the medical treatment for Zion and to pay for the funeral expenses for Zyaire. 

Man sentenced to just one year in prison after being charged with 64 counts of sex abuse of children

CASCADE COUNTY, MT – In a bizarre case pertaining to a man initially accused of raping a 14-year-old girl and then police alleging to have found the suspect in possession of child pornography, the man has managed to get away with a six-month sentence in jail and a one year suspended sentence.

The judge in the case proclaimed that her hands were tied due to a plea agreement reached during the case.

Back in February of 2019, then-49-year-old William Edward Miller Jr. was arrested after a 14-year-old girl claimed that Miller had raped her in March of 2018. Charging documents at the time also noted that Miller had also coerced an 11-year-old boy to rape the young girl as well.

Then, in August of 2019, police further charged Miller with 64 counts of intercourse without consent and sexual abuse of children, after a search of his residence revealed numerous indecent photos featuring minors and a web search history on his phone and laptop that were rather disturbing.

Police say that a majority of the images retrieved on Miller’s laptop and cell phone featured a woman who was romantically involved with Miller but was a minor at the time a majority of the indecent images were taken.

While Miller was in custody at the time, it was reported that the woman even went so far as to obtain and destroy the laptop and cellphone prior to policing getting their hands on the evidence back in August of 2019.

Now 51-years-old, Miller was sentenced on July 20th after pleading guilty to felony sexual abuse of children and misdemeanor unsworn falsification to authorities.

Judge Elizabeth Best reviewed the charges cited on the plea, and handed down a sentence of six months in the Cascade County Detention Center and a one-year deferred in conjunction with completing a sex offender treatment.

However, Miller was given credit for 384 days’ time served while in custody applied toward the six-month sentence.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Judge Best explained that she could only hand down a sentence for the charges in front of her on the plea – and not that of the original accusations levied against Miller:

“I think it’s really easy and it’s easy for courts, from the bench, to use these offenses as an opportunity to grandstand and to make statements for the newspaper and TV. They’re very, very loaded charges. They’re very difficult charges to defend against.”

As it turned out, the single count sexual abuse of children that Miller was sentenced for came from a photo of a girl who was 17-years-old at the time. That same woman, now 19, has been married to Miller for three months. She characterized Miller as someone that was “kind” and said that she never felt like a victim:

“William is a kind, compassionate, empathetic man. Never has he manipulated or controlled me. I ask that we be free of this charge. I feel that we have suffered enough, and I am not a victim of my husband.”

While in court, Miller characterized himself as being the victim in this case:

“All this happened to me, my wife, our kid has just been a tragic thing. It’s destroyed our lives, and we’re suffering. I’ve served time in jail for stuff that I didn’t even do.”

It’s unclear as to what ever came of the young female victim that alleged Miller had raped her back in 2018, as there’s been no record of her involvement in the case since that initial arrest back in February of 2019.

Whatever came of her 2019 report to authorities, it had managed to not be included or considered within the plea arrangement Miller accepted which may mean that there was a possible recanting or insufficient evidence in the claim.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts