One dead, two injured in shooting interrupted by (defunded) NYPD officers who came upon the scene


NEW YORK CITY, NY – On April 3rd, a man was killed and two others were injured in a violent Bronx shooting that was stopped when police arrived, according to law enforcement sources.

At approximately 6:20 p.m. that evening, three officers in an unmarked police car arrived at the scene of two armed men shooting weapons at a group of individuals at the junction of E. 166th St. and Findlay Ave. in Concourse Village, according to the reports.

The gunmen were reportedly approached by the officers, with two of them having opened fire at the armed assailants.

One local reportedly heard the commotion, describing the following about what they had heard:

“I heard like a dozen shots. They just kept coming. It was like a war zone.”

According to reports, one of the gunmen was hit in the left arm by one of the officer’s bullets. However, the gunfire coming from the suspects reportedly wreaked some serious havoc.

The suspects fired several shots into the torso of a 21-year-old man, who was later pronounced dead upon arrival when transported over to Lincoln Hospital.

Another gunshot victim, a man reportedly in his 50s, was also transported to Lincoln Hospital as well as the suspect who was shot in the arm by police, according to reports. The wounded suspect is thought to be a 22-year-old man.

There were no injuries among the officers on the scene, who were listed as a lieutenant and two officers in uniform. One of the shooting suspects was arrested at the scene but was reportedly not injured during the exchanged gunfire.

One witness had managed to see when first responders were tending to one of the gunshot wound victims at the scene:

“I saw them putting a guy in the ambulance near College Avenue. Police swarmed the block.”

Police officials have not released the identities of any of those allegedly involved in the incident. Approximately 3 hours after the shooting, roughly 14 shell casings were still spread throughout a nearby street, which witnesses say were marked off by coffee cups.

NYPD Assistant Chief Kenneth Lehr hasn’t provided much insight into the case, outside of noting that the motive is unclear, and charges are pending for the suspects involved:

“We do not know the motive for the shooting. Charges are still pending for the suspects in custody.”

This is an ongoing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this case as it develops.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other news pertaining to New York, a state trooper reportedly succumbed to wounds sustained years earlier when he was struck by a vehicle while on-duty. 

Here’s that previous report from March. 


NEW YORK– On March 26, 2021, a New York State Trooper died, three years after he was struck by a vehicle while on Duty in December 2017.

On Saturday, March 27th, acting Superintendent, Kevin P. Bruen made the announcement. 

According to original reports, on December 18, 2017, 35-year-old New York State Trooper Joseph Gallagher was assisting a disabled motorist on the overpass from the westbound Long Island Expressway to southbound Sagtikos Parkway around 2:30 p.m. when he was struck by another vehicle.

Trooper Gallagher was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where he underwent surgery for head injuries. Following his surgery, he was listed in serious condition. 

It was reported that the motorist who struck Trooper Gallagher stopped and stayed at the scene. 

Trooper Gallagher was born in South Buffalo and went to Bishop Timon High School.

He joined the state police in 2014, and was previously assigned to Troop F and Troop T and was last assigned to SP Brentwood. He is survived by his wife, two children, parents, sister and brothers, ABC7 reported.

Trooper Gallagher was not the only New York State Trooper to lose his life due to a motor vehicle accident on March 26th.

Ten years prior, on March 26, 2011, Trooper Kevin Dobson was killed on the 290 in the Town of Tonawanda.

Dobson was conducting a traffic stop when he was struck and killed by a vehicle.

On Friday, March 26th, the New York State Police honored Trooper Dobson.

Saturday afternoon New York Governor Andrew Cuomo ordered flags on state government buildings to be flown at half-staff in honor of Trooper Gallagher.

Governor Cuomo said in a statement:

“Trooper Gallagher is a hero to all New Yorkers — he dedicated his life to public service and worked to keep us safe,”

Cuomo continued:

“His tragic passing is a reminder of the selfless actions so many brave first responders take each day. We will never forget him, and to honor his memory, I am directing flags be flown at half-staff to honor his memory.”

While these were both tragic accidents, they could have been avoided if the motorists had adhered to the “Move Over” law. The “Move Over” law, which was enacted in New York in 2010, is a two fold law which requires motorists to either slow down, or to change lanes in order to stay as far away from an emergency vehicle as possible. 
According to Extreme Tactical Dynamics’ website:
“Move Over Laws apply to two very different types of conditions regarding emergency vehicles that are displaying flashing emergency lights.
Motorists are supposed to MOVE OVER ‘to the right’ and stop when they see flashing lights and hear sirens especially if it’s in the rear view mirror or at an intersection because a first responder vehicle is coming towards them and ‘needs’ to get through as quickly as possible.
The second type of Move Over Law applies to motorists who see stationary flashing lights ahead of them in the same direction; they are to pull to the left at least one lane, two if possible, and slow down, alert and ready to receive addition driving instructions from the police.”
Currently, Washington D.C. is the only area in the country that does not have a “Move Over” law in place. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts