Officers Down: Here are the three Oklahoma Troopers seriously injured in the funeral procession for a fallen officer


OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Law Enforcement Today has an update regarding the collision that occurred during the procession for fallen Tulsa Police Sergeant Craig Johnson that left three motor officers hospitalized. 

Reportedly, a vehicle was driving westbound when he noticed the procession coming up behind him. He pulled to the right of the roadway to allow the procession to pass.

Trooper Rocky Barnes, who was leading the motorcade, struck the left rear bumper of the parked vehicle. The impact of that collision pushed Barnes into the pathway of the rest of the motorcade, striking two other units.

The other troopers involved were Steve Eason and Ron Watson.

OHP has announced that two of the troopers have been released from the hospital, while one remains hospitalized. 

Here’s the original story Law Enforcement Today brought you on the collision. 

A procession meant to honor a fallen officer resulted in more tragedy on July 2nd, according to reports.

While friends and loved ones were taking time to honor the memory of Tulsa Police Sgt. Craig Johnson, three state troopers were said to have been seriously injured in some sort of vehicular collision.

A spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol noted that officials are still trying to gather what transpired during the procession for Sgt. Johnson that led to state troopers getting injured:

“We’re still trying to figure out exactly what happened.”

Officers from the Oklahoma City Police Department were said to have responded to the crash at approximately 10:55 a.m. on July 2nd.

The troopers in question, who are with the OHP’s motorcycle unit, were said to have been involved in a sort of collision among the Kilpatrick Turnpike heading westbound during the ceremony.

Governor Kevin Scott released a statement making mention of the crash that injured the three troopers, saying the following:

“It is always difficult to receive news of first responders being injured in the line of duty, but it is especially heartbreaking to learn this incident happened during the procession for an officer who was senselessly murdered while protecting his community.”

Some sources allege that one of the trooper’s involved had struck a vehicle that was pulling into traffic while on their motorcycle, which then created a sort of chain reaction. However, it is unclear whether that is indeed the case.

Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt also issued a statement with regard to the crash leaving three troopers critically injured, stating:

“This morning in Oklahoma City, three members of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol were injured in a crash while escorting Tulsa Police Sgt. Craig Johnson. Please pray for these Troopers and for everyone in Oklahoma law enforcement.”

Mayor Holt’s statement continued, making mention of how this incident further compounds to pain associated with the heartbreaking loss of Sgt. Johnson:

“This tragic event compounds what has already been a tough week. We also continue to pray for and send our condolences to Sgt. Johnson’s family, and we continue to pray for Tulsa Police Officer Aurash Zarkeshan, who remains hospitalized from the attack earlier this week.”

According to reports, the three troopers were medically evacuated by way of helicopter. The identities of those injured have not been revealed at this time. Please follow Law Enforcement Today to receive updates on this developing story.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing their untold stories. Click to check it out.

Murdered officer's grave desecrated before headstone even placed

Law Enforcement Today previously reported on the tragic death of Sgt. Johnson. Here’s out previous report from earlier this week on this hero’s passing. 


Police say that one of the two officers who was shot early Monday morning during a traffic stop has died.

The attack on Sgt. Craig Johnson and Officer Aurash Zarkeshan happened after they stopped a man around 3:30 a.m. Monday near East 21st Street and South 89th East Avenue.

According to Tulsa police officials, a scuffle ensued between the officers.  Then the suspect pulled a gun on the officers and fired multiple times.

We’re told after they were both down, he shot them each in the head.

They were both rushed to the hospital in critical condition.  According to police, Johnson underwent surgery but died Tuesday.

According to Fox 23 in Tulsa, Zarkeshan remains in critical condition.

In 2005, Johnson joined the Tulsa Police Department.  He was promoted to the rank of sergeant in 2015 and was assigned to the Mingo Valley Division as a shift supervisor.

“Sgt. Craig Johnson leaves behind his wife, his two parents and his two young boys,” Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin said. “He also leaves behind a bunch of brothers and sisters, which stand behind me; he leaves them behind, as well, because we are all family.”

According to local media outlets, the Tulsa district attorney has already added a first-degree murder charge to Ware’s list of charges.  Police say that they’ve arrested a second person who helped Ware get away.

Gov. Kevin Stitt released the following statement:

“My heart breaks for the family of Sergeant Craig Johnson and his fellow officers with the Tulsa Police Department. I ask Oklahomans to join the First Lady and me in continuing to pray for his family as well as for his fellow officers.

My hope is that Sgt. Johnson is forever remembered for the heroism, courage and bravery he displayed while protecting Tulsa for 15 years.

We will also continue to pray for a full recovery for Officer Aurash Zarkeshan, who was injured in the same senseless act of violence.

Our law enforcement officers need the support of their community now more than ever, and I encourage Oklahomans to find ways to show their support for those who keep them protected.”

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts