PIERCE TOWNSHIP, Ohio – An Ohio suspect who was barricaded inside an apartment was taken into custody Sunday morning after an 11-hour standoff. During the confrontation one sheriff’s deputy was killed while another was injured, authorities said.

The standoff began just before 7 p.m. on Saturday when police responded to a psychiatric call at the Royal Oak Apartment complex in Pierce Township, near Cincinnati, according to Fox 19.

According to Fox 19, officers originally responded to a 911 call from a male who said there were subjects in his apartment that were refusing to leave. The man also told officers that he had weapons in his home.

Due to circumstances, the call led to a standoff.  Deputies were hit by gunfire several hours later as they tried to negotiate with the suspect.

One officer was taken to Mercy Hospital in Anderson where he died from his injuries. The second wounded officer was taken to UC Medical Center where he was said to be in stable condition, according to WLWT.

According to tweets from a Fox 19 reporter who was on the scene, deputies kept trying to get the suspect to surrender. “I need you to come on out with your hands up,” a Cincinnati police SWAT team member could be heard saying to the suspect, according to Fox 19.

Moreover, a fire could briefly be seen around 6:30 a.m., according to WLWT.

One eyewitness told Fox 19 that the fire appeared to be under control within 30 minutes and that it’s possible the suspect may have set his own apt/ammunition on fire.

Neighbors in the apartment complex either left or were told to stay inside, according to the report.

A male called 911 to report people in his home were refusing to leave and that he had weapons inside, Capt. Jeff Sellars with the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office said at a news conference.

Sellars said the initial responders from Pierce Township Police Department were not able to make contact with the caller.

Shots were first fired at approximately 8:15 p.m., said Sellars.

Sellars said the Pierce Township PD requested the multi-agency Special Response Team, and the team arrived at 8:25 p.m.

The team tried to negotiate with the suspect and more shots were fired, according to Sellars.

At 10:37, more shots were fired from inside the apartment and members from the SRT team were near the apartment, Sellars said.

Finally, the standoff resolved 8 hours later. The sheriff’s office confirmed the suspect was taken into custody at 6:35 a.m.

Officials have not released the names of the deputies yet as they continue to notify relatives.

Officers did not fire any shots; all shots were fired by the suspect, according to Pierce Township police.

Video and audio clips from the scene confirmed that multiple rapid-fire shots were fired.

Multiple roads were around the apartment complex including Saint Andrews Drive.

Air Care was requested to the scene but did not dispatch, citing weather reasons.

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is taking over the case.