Officers Down: One cop shot to death, another injured in New Orleans


Breaking news out of New Orleans, Louisiana where an officer was shot and killed and another was injured Friday afternoon.

It happened near Hwy. 190 and Hwy. 22.  We’re told that the second officer was shot in the head and rushed to a nearby hospital.  Sources say it was a graze wound.

At this point, we don’t know if police returned gunfire.  We do know that two people have been arrested, including the suspected shooter.  Police say that one of them was arrested at the scene of the shooting and the other caught in the Beau Chene area.

According to witnesses, it started with a traffic stop on Monroe Street that lead to a police chase.  They say the shooter got out of the car and started shooting at an officer – the one who was killed.  The backup officer was shot shortly after.


After the shooting, Hwy. 190 was shut down in both directions.  

1958 was the last time a Mandeville Police officer was killed in the line of duty was 1958.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

Officers Down: One cop shot to death, another injured in New Orleans

An investigation is still underway after two officers were shot Wednesday afternoon in Memphis, Tennessee.  Police say two officers were injured – one critically – while serving an arrest warrant at about 3:30 p.m.

It all when down when the law enforcement gang unit served an arrest warrant.

According to Shelby County Sheriff’s Spokesman Anthony Buckner, deputies were in the home when the suspect opened fire.

One of the officers was shot five or six times in the leg and upper body.  His bulletproof vest may have saved his life.  He was rushed to a Memphis hospital in critical condition. Police later said he was sitting up and talking and seemed to be in good spirits at Regional One Hospital.


Shelby County Chief Deputy Scott Wright spoke to reports from there.

“He’s lucky to be alive,” Wright said.

Shortly after on Twitter, the sheriff’s office said the wounded officer was upgraded to non-critical condition.


The second officer appeared to have been bitten by a dog.  He was treated and released from the hospital later Wednesday.

Police have not yet released the identity of either deputy.

After the suspect opened fire, police responded the same way and killed him.  They have not yet released details about the person’s identity or the felony arrest warrant.

The officers who were injured were part of a multi-agency gang unit.  Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Keli McAlister said it also included Memphis Police Department officers.

She added that gang unit members entered the home with consent.  They came upon the armed threat during a search of the trailer home.

The shooting took place in the south Memphis residential neighborhood located alongside Interstate 240, turning a normally quiet neighborhood into one filled with police sirens and a large law enforcement response.

A wide perimeter was set up by both marked and unmarked police vehicles, which were forced to block traffic and keep some people from reaching their homes.

Because of how the community often reacts with situations like this, Memphis Police Director Michael Rallings asked people to remain calm and be patient during the investigation.  Luckily in the aftermath, there didn’t appear to be any signs of civil unrest.

The TBI is the state’s police agency.  It’ll be up to them to report to the District Attorney Amy Weirich.  She’ll then decide whether to pursue charges against the officers or others involved in the case.

Buckner talked to the media about the risks that officers take while serving arrest warrants.  He called that part of the job “extremely dangerous.”

Just last month, another Shelby County Sheriff’s Office deputy was hurt in a confrontation with a sexual assault suspect near the county courthouse in downtown Memphis.

In that case, the deputy was stabbed and survived and the suspect was shot and killed.

Officers in Memphis have been on particular high alert since June, when the Gangster Disciples called for the deaths of police officers after the Memphis riots.

The warning came from the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, which sent a bulletin to police warning of a threat against all law enforcement by the Gangster Disciples street gang.

It came after the Memphis riots.  They started when 20-year-old Brandon Webber was shot by U.S. Marshals.  They killed him after he rammed their vehicles with his several times and then stepping out of his car with a weapon, officials said.

It sparked a violent riot that lead to dozens of officers and two journalists being injured when the crowd threw rocks, bottles, and chunks of cement at police on the scene.

According to the Department of Public Safety, Webber’s father made the initial threat against law enforcement, calling for retaliation for the death of his son.

The threats are considered by authorities to be against all law enforcement nationwide, but especially the Marshals.

Information from informants to DPS and to the Mississippi Association of Gang Investigators shows that the gang plans to kill a Marshal to even the score.

“We received credible intelligence that a threat had been issued on law enforcement pursuant to the events that occurred in the city of Memphis last evening,” said DPS Commissioner Marshall Fisher. “I felt it was necessary to get that information out to law enforcement.”

Authorities say police need to be on high alert when they are in public, and that all Marshals should cover their agency apparel when they are out.

“We currently have an environment nationwide where it seems that law enforcement officers are increasingly under threats of violence. It’s incumbent upon us to get information out as soon.”

Hours before his death, Webber posted a Facebook Live video that was about eight minutes long – and has since been deleted.  It showed him singing in his car, smoking and driving.  He sees a Memphis police cruiser at one point, says they’d have to catch him and then says he’d “do” them.

“I ain’t lying, I’m gonna do they a** so bad,” Webber said in the video.

The Gangster Disciples is one of the three largest street gangs in Mississippi.  That’s according to the latest gang study by the Fusion Center, which says they were also involved with a threat on law enforcement in 2015 along with the 74 Hoover Crips.

That threat came just after Hattiesburg police officers Liquori Tate and Benjamin Deen were killed and Marvin Banks was captured and charged with two counts of capital murder in their deaths.

Here’s the back story on the Memphis riot, in case you missed it.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said that the man killed by the U.S. Marshals Service had been wanted on numerous warrants.


The suspect’s cousin, Demetrick Skinner, said Webber was fatally shot and claims as many as 20 shots were fired at him.

His aunt, Yolanda Holmes, said police claim he was shooting at an officer. 

MPD officers were not involved in the shooting – they were actually called in to assist the Gulf Coast Regional Task Force and the U.S. Marshal Service.


Shortly after the shooting, a chaotic scene erupted in the Frayser area, with heavily armed police facing off against an angry, rock-throwing crowd.


Dozens of protesters attacked the police, throwing stones and tree limbs until the angry crowds were finally broken up with tear gas. 

According to Memphis Police Deputy Director Mike Ryall, none of the officers were injured seriously.

Ryall said the area of Overton Crossing and Argonne Street, which is where the attacks on the officers were happening, was considered a crime scene. Crime scene officers spent the night there.

State Rep. Antonio Parkinson, a Memphis Democrat whose district includes Frayser, posted a statement on Instagram in the aftermath.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved in the incident in Frayser,” Parkinson said. “The Frayser community is comprised of good, hard working people who love their community.  The community wants answers into tonight’s incident. We are asking for calm and restraint by all and complete transparency in the investigation of tonight’s officer involved shooting.”

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland wrote on Facebook that in the violence, at least two dozen law enforcement officers and at least two journalists were injured.  He said damage was also extensive.

“Multiple police cars were vandalized. A concrete wall outside a business was torn down. The windows were broken out at fire station 31.”


One of the videos posted online showed a man smashing a chair against a police vehicle.


Police reported that they had received a call for assistance from the U.S. Marshals Service earlier in the evening, which later lead to a “tense standoff” between law enforcement and residents after the shooting, which took place in the Frayser neighborhood.

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) also responded, according to local media.

For the full episode and more exclusive video content inside the world of law enforcement, emergency responders and veterans, check out our brand new video streaming platform.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Related Posts