Developing story: Officer shot, ambushed when responding to call for help


A Coconut Creek police officer has been hospitalized with serious injuries after being hit with a shotgun blast in a violent early morning incident.

By the time it was over, two people and a dog were dead, another person was critically wounded and that officer was being rushed to the hospital.

That officer is 30-year-old Andrew Renna.  Police Chief Albert Arenal says he was shot at as soon as he arrived at the scene.

“They were shotgun rounds and they were fired through the passenger door and through the passenger window,” he said, at a noon news conference. “Multiple shots were fired.”

Coconut Creek officer shot
Coconut Creek officer shot – this was his cruiser.

According to Renna, as he tried to get out of the way of the blasts, a shotgun pellet struck his right side and collapsed his right lung, Arenal said.

Renna has been on the force for over four years.  He’s listed in “very stable good condition” at Broward Health North Medical Center.

Police haven’t confirmed if he lived there… but 44-year-old man Jason Roseman was being questioned by investigators in connection with the shooting.  It happened at about 7 a.m. at 4217 NW 57th Drive in the Coral Pointe subdivision. 

When two other officers arrived at the scene, they saw Roseman standing in the intersection of Northwest 42 Way and 56 Drive holding the shotgun.

“When the suspect was confronted by other officers …he dropped the shotgun and surrendered,” Arenal said. “He was taken into custody.”

When police began investigating, they found one person’s body inside a house, a woman’s body in the driveway, and a pit bull also shot dead inside the home.

On top of that, another critically wounded man was also found outside and taken to Broward Health North. Police haven’t identified any of the victims besides the officer.

It apparently all began after a resident called police, saying someone was knocking on her door asking for help.

One minute later, Renna arrived and was shot at.

Arenal said that’s when an all-county call went out for police backup.

Robert Robison, 60, moved into Coconut Creek just three weeks ago.  He said he was shocked to see more than three dozen police cars racing around the Winston Park neighborhood about 7:30 a.m after he had just returned from dropping off his wife at work in Delray Beach.

He said his street is blocked off.

“Police cars were flying down here like crazy,” he said. “They told me, ‘Get out of here. Get out of here. Get out of here.’”

At the time of the shooting, his sister, his 18-year-old son and 14-year-old daughter were home.

“I called the house asked my sister what was going on and she had the dog in the backyard and she heard a man say, ‘Don’t do that,’ and then she heard five gunshots.

“Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop and she went back in the house,” he said. “She was scared. It woke my 14-year-old daughter up. She called me, scared.”

He said there was an overwhelming show of force from area departments.

“I just saw police cars continuously coming in from Fort Lauderdale, Coral Springs, Margate,” he added. “I tried to count them but I stopped at 35 police cars. Everybody speaks about how safe this neighborhood is. I’ve talked to people and they said they never had an incident around here. I’m in a little disbelief. Nobody’s life is worth an argument.”

Local media outlets also interviewed Gabriella Almeida, 28, who said she was trying to get to her parents’ home near the shooting scene.

That’s when she says a neighbor told her parents that a body was lying in the parking lot of their apartment building.

“My parents said their neighbor saw some guy under a truck,” she said. “I believe he died under the truck and was one of the people who was shot. My neighbor, who is a cop, was frantic on the phone saying that there was a dead body under the truck.”

The Broward Sheriff’s Office bomb squad checked the inside of the home where the shooting happened.

They say they found several rifles and something that looked like an IED homemade explosive device.  They later determined it was fake.

“Everybody speaks about how safe this neighborhood is,” Robison said. “I’ve talked to people and they said they never had an incident around here. I’m in a little disbelief. Nobody’s life is worth an argument.”

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

Developing story: Officer shot, ambushed when responding to call for help


In East St. Louis, Illinois this morning, family and friends are morning the death of a state trooper who died after he was shot early Friday.

He was 33-year-old Illinois State Trooper Nick Hopkins.  He was the proud father of three children.  He’d been with the Illinois State Police for about 10 years.

According to Illinois State Trooper Josh Korando, the officer was shot while executing a warrant in East St. Louis.

Shortly after, police surrounded a home near 42nd Street and Caseyville Avenue.

We’re told that police arrested at least one person about 6 a.m. and then searched a second area nearby around 43rd Street and Vanburen Avenue.

Shortly after, we were told that a total of three people were taken into custody.

“It is with profound heartache and unfathomable sadness that we inform you of the death of Trooper Nicholas Hopkins. Trooper Hopkins laid down his life while protecting the citizens of this state. We are asking the public to respectfully give consideration to the family of Trooper Hopkins and the ISP while we continue to grieve and work through this tragedy,” stated Acting Director Brendan Kelly.

Illinois Governor JB Britzker took to Twitter:

“Our state troopers display unbelievable courage and put their lives on the line for us every single day,” Illinois Governor JB Britzker said. “Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers during this dangerous active situation in East St. Louis, and every day.”

A neighbor, Dorothy Burns, said heard commotion in the area around 5:30 a.m. as her husband readied for work.

“All I heard is boom boom — two shots,” she said. “Then it sounded like an explosion and I saw smoke like they were trying to smoke ‘em out.”

Burns said she’s on 42nd Street for three years.  She then seemingly blamed police in her rant to local media.

“All I can say is they need to cut this violence out because it’s on my block,” she said. “Police need to get some stun guns cuz too many people are getting shot. Too many guns around.”

According to Terrence Hargrove Sr., another neighbor who lives about six houses down from where the trooper was shot, said he heard police detonating “concussion bombs,” or stun grenades, at about 5:30 a.m.

He says when he walked outside, he saw his street were lined with police vehicles. 

“Police are everywhere,” said Hargrove.

Another neighbor who lives just a few blocks down talked to local media outlets about the shootings that have killed 24 people in East St. Louis this year – including her late husband, John Graham.

“This is sad. It’s just sad. What can we do to save our community to make it better for our children, seniors and neighbors.?” she said. “All these killings are just senseless.” 

In the meantime in California, there’s still a manhunt underway after a California sheriff’s deputy was shot by a sniper on Wednesday.

It happened at about 2:50 p.m. in the parking lot of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Lancaster station.

Police say Sheriff’s Deputy Angel Reinosa, 21, suffered a “graze wound” to the shoulder.

They say he was shot by a sniper while walking to his car in the station’s lot.

His call came in over emergency radios.

“I have taken shots from the north of the Lancaster helipad,” the deputy is heard saying over the radio. “I think I’m hit in the right shoulder.”

He was hit with a high-velocity rifle round and said two shots had been fired at him from a nearby four-story apartment building.  He was able to scramble back to the station and get medical help.

Reinosa was rushed to the hospital, where he’s expected to recover. No surgery was needed.  Police say Reinosa’s bulletproof vest saved his life.

“He is doing great, thankfully,” Sheriff’s Capt. Todd Weber said. “The wound was minor and he’s been treated and he’s doing well, in high spirits.”

According to Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris, the deputy’s bulletproof vest saved his life but the bullet deflected into his shoulder.

“He was walking out of the sheriff’s station, and a sniper took a shot at him,” Parris said. “It is incomprehensible in our city.”

Right now, it appears the shooting was a random act and not one directed at that specific deputy.

“It was not targeted on this specific deputy. It was any deputy would do.”

Deputies blocked off the area where they believed the shot came from, saying it was a “considerable distance”.  They did not say how many shots were fired. They believed they had the shooter contained, but he was able to escape.

While searching the area, the SWAT team was called in and armored vehicles were brought in to provide cover for deputies using binoculars to scan the building for the sniper.

They spent several hours clearing nearby buildings, including a library and an apartment complex.

At a news conference Wednesday night, Weber said Reinosa has been with the Sheriff’s Department for a year and joined the Lancaster station in May for patrol training.

During that news conference, Parris said the shooter fired from a “building filled with people who are being treated for mental illness.”

It now appears the shooter fired from a building that provides permanent supporting housing for a variety of people, including low- to moderate-income people and people who have disabilities, have been diagnosed with mental illnesses or were recently homeless.

A source told local media outlets that Mental Health America of Los Angeles’ Antelope Valley enrichment services building shares a parking lot with the apartment building, but that source said it’s not where the shooter fired from.

Residents of the building shared with media that there are some mental-health patients who live in the complex.  But they also clarified the building is not specifically designated for that purpose.

The entire thing is low-income government subsidized housing.

The department evacuated hundreds of residents as deputies went floor-to-floor to search for the shooter.


Late on Wednesday evening, police arrested two people.  But they later say the individuals had just been uncooperative with the search and evacuation orders, and were not considered suspects.

Residents say the shooting wasn’t a huge surprise.

“They let people live in our apartment complex who have mental illness,” said Terrisa McGhee, who lives in the apartment complex. “It’s kind of scary because there’s no security onsite 24 hours. Management is never here when things happen. The cops are in there constantly. So it’s not a surprise.”

Police completed the search before 11 p.m. with no suspect in custody, and everyone allowed back into their homes.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts