Officer seriously injured after being struck by thief driving stolen vehicle – who then escaped


Editor note: Law Enforcement Today is proud to announce the launch of a nationwide campaign to “re-fund the police” – and we’re asking every American to help get in the fight.  To learn more about how you can support law enforcement, click here.

FARMINGTON, CT – A Farmington Police officer was seriously injured after being struck by a stolen vehicle earlier in September, resulting in the officer being pinned between the stolen vehicle and his cruiser that he’d just exited from.

Officials say the incident occurred during the early morning hours of September 20th after officers were called out to a condominium parking lot on Talcott Notch Road regarding an active theft in progress from a parked vehicle in the area.

Shortly before 1:00 a.m. on the day of the incident, a witness observed what they believed to be an individual trying to steal a catalytic converter. By the time officers arrived on the scene, police located the suspect vehicle, and one officer parked his cruiser in front of the vehicle in order to make contact with the suspect.

Authorities say at that point, the suspect attempted to flee in the vehicle and struck the officer who’d just exited his cruiser.

Officials claim the suspect trapped the officer between the police cruiser’s driver’s side and the suspect’s car, crushing him as he fled.

According to authorities, the officer was taken to St. Francis Hospital and is being treated for severe but non-life threatening injuries to his lower body.

Lt. Tim McKenzie of the Farmington Police Department stated the following about the incident and officer’s condition:

“The officer suffered some very serious injuries mostly to the lower portion of this person and he is being prepped and he will be needing surgery today. It is non-life threatening, but he’s in a lot of pain.”

Following the officer’s injury, other officers chased the car for a short distance until it crashed into the woods, and the suspect or suspects escaped on foot.

Several K9 teams scoured the vicinity for the suspects but were unsuccessful. The search for the suspect or suspects is still active. Police added that the identity of the driver of the stolen vehicle is unknown.

Farmington Police Department is asking anybody with information or who may have seen the incident to call them at (860) 675-2400.

The identity of the injured officer has not been revealed as of this writing.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates on this active investigation.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Video: Brevard Sheriff shares footage of ambush shooting that left gunman dead and deputy shot

(Originally published September 11th, 2021)

BREVARD COUNTY, FL – The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office recently released the dashcam footage of a traffic stop that turned into an ambush shooting from late August which resulted in the armed suspect being killed and one of the deputies being shot and suffering severe head injuries during the incident.

Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey noted in the released footage that the deceased suspect was a “career criminal” and was critical over the suspect being out on bond during the time of the ambush.

The incident occurred on August 30th, after Deputy Tyler Thoman pulled over a vehicle on West New Haven Avenue, west of Interstate 95 in West Melbourne. The vehicle hosted two male occupants, one female occupant, an infant and a dog.

Footage from the incident was captured from the dashcam of Deputy Brian Potters, who was the second deputy to arrive on the scene to assist Deputy Thoman with the stop due to the multiple occupants inside of the vehicle.

In the footage captured, Deputy Thoman can be seen speaking with the female occupant of the vehicle right next to his cruiser. While this is ongoing, Deputy Potters can be seen briefly standing beside another one of the occupants leaning against the trunk of the car.

Deputy Potters then makes his way over to the suspect in the back passenger seat of the vehicle, engaging in small talk over the infant and dog in the car. Overall, the exchange between Deputy Potters and the suspect seemed pleasant and conversational.

But it was when Deputy Potters asked the suspect in the back seat to step out of the car that things went chaotic – and fast.

The suspect produced what Sheriff Ivey referred to as a “small stock AR-15 styled rifle”, which the suspect immediately opens fire on Deputy Potters.

Deputy Potter can be heard yelling that he was “hit” by the suspect’s gunfire, as he works to create distance between himself and the suspect.

While this is taking place, both of the other vehicle occupants scurry to avoid being caught in between the gunfire, and Deputy Thoman rushes to the rear of his vehicle to take cover.

As the gunman continues to fire from in front of the vehicle, it appears that he’s hit by some return fire by one of the deputies – which results in him somewhat hobbling to move around while gunfire is exchanged.

The suspect goes between the two vehicles seen in the footage, and the two deputies slip back into frame and peer over Deputy Thoman’s vehicle in what appears to be them scanning for the suspect’s whereabouts.

Suddenly, the suspect comes up behind both of the deputies, using his rifle to bludgeon Deputy Potters on the head, as the weapon apparently jammed during the firefight.

Deputy Thoman backs and drops the empty magazine from his sidearm, coming back around on the other side after reloading and empties the entire magazine into the suspect.

Deputy Thoman was not injured during the incident; however, Deputy Potters suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and both lacerations and fractures to his face from the assault he endured via the suspect using his firearm as an impromptu cudgel.

Sheriff Ivey wanted to point out during the dashcam footage release that neither of the other two occupants that were interviewed by the deputies prior to the ambush had anything to do with the attempted killing of the deputies:

“I want to be very clear neither of these two occupants had anything to do with this ambush or criminal activity. And I’m extremely grateful that they were not injured and how they immediately returned to the scene as instructed by Deputy Thoman.”

The sheriff took aim at the fact that the deceased suspect happened to be out on bond at the time of the ambush, highlighting the suspect’s long criminal record and saying something is awry when people like that can walk out of jail on bond:

“This case is a perfect example of what is wrong with our criminal justice system. When a registered career criminal with 23 felony charges, 17 misdemeanor charges, multiple convictions for violent offenses, and two active and pending drug trafficking cases is out on the streets where he can attempt to kill our deputies and put other lives at risk – something is wrong with our system.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Got them! Two arrested after police say they ambushed an officer, targeted him in a shooting

(Originally published September 9th, 2021)

RENTON, WA – Two suspects have been arrested for allegedly opening fire from across an intersection on a Renton Police officer earlier in September, which investigators believe that the shooting was a targeted incident.

Luckily, neither the officer not any other bystander was injured during the volley of gunfire.

The incident happened just before 5:00 p.m. on September 7th near the intersection of Talbot Road and South Grady Way.

Renton Police Detective Robert Onishi said that one of their officers in a marked patrol unit had just stopped on Talbot Road South waiting to turn east on South Grady Way when she heard numerous gunshots going off.

Detective Onishi said that the officer ducked for cover while inside of her patrol vehicle:

“The first thing she did was duck for cover in her car. Then once the shooting stopped, she popped back up again, and people were pointing out a vehicle that was speeding off.”

It was later determined that the gunshots came from the Chevron parking lot near the intersection, and witnesses pointed out two suspects that were driving a red Kia who were reportedly trying to leave the scene after the shooting.

A short pursuit of the suspects ensued, and they were later taken into custody without further incident. The names of the suspects have not been released yet by officials, only noting that the suspected shooter is a 24-year-old man from Kirkland and that the driver is a 23-year-old man from Seattle.

When investigating the scene of the shooting, Detective Onishi said that as many as 15 gunshots were fired by the suspect during the incident:

“Turned out to be a pretty fair amount of gunfire. We recovered, I think, 15 casings in the parking lot there.”

Investigators also say that surveillance video recovered from the scene, that has no been released publicly yet due to it being an ongoing investigation, leads police to believe that the shooting incident was targeted directly at the officer in her patrol unit, according to Detective Onishi:

“There was no other indication that anybody else downrange there behaved as if they were the target of an attack.”

The brazen nature of the shooting is further emphasized by the fact that the incident occurred within one block from the Renton Police Department.

The suspected shooter has since been booked under charges of first-degree assault and drive by shooting and the driver was booked under charges of drive by shooting and attempting to elude pursuing police.

Officials are asking that anyone who witnessed the incident that has yet to be interviewed by police to please call the Renton Police Department at 425-430-7500 and reference case number 21-8883.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts