Officer murdered after being shot by armed robber whose getaway car he pulled over in a traffic stop


MANGHAM, LA- A part-time Mangham Police Officer, Marshall Waters, is dead – killed in the line of duty.

He died Thursday morning from a lower abdomen gunshot wound he sustained on October 17 at approximately 1PM.  

Waters, 49, was shot while conducting a traffic stop on Highway 425 near the border of Richland Parish and Franklin Parish. He was shot while exiting his patrol car.

The accused suspect was also the accused in a robbery in Rayville, which took place earlier that same afternoon.  

Shane Scott, the spokesperson of Northeast Louisiana Ambulance Service, confirmed Waters’ death shortly before 3AM Thursday morning.

Waters was a full-time employee for NELA.

According to Scott, Waters was a man who proudly served his community, dedicating his life to public service and public safety. Waters was also a firefighter for the Winnsboro Fire Department.  

The day of the shooting, Waters was transported to Franklin Medical Center in Winnsboro then transported via helicopter to Rapides Regional Medical Center in Alexandria, where he underwent surgery to repair a hemorrhaging femoral artery.

He remained in critical condition and underwent at least two additional surgeries during his stay in the intensive care unit. 

The Police Chief, Perry Fleming also confirmed Waters’ death via a Facebook post. 

“It’s with great sadness and broken hearts that I, Chief Perry Fleming, and the Mangham Police Department have to inform you of the passing of Officer Marshall Waters PD3 who was shot in the line of duty on October 17, 2020.

We ask that you please continue to pray for Marshall Waters family and the Mangham Police Department family during this time. RIP PD3.”  

Senators Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy both made statements, expressing sympathy for the family of Marshall Waters. 

Cassidy expressed his feelings in a tweet:

“Laura and I are heartbroken to hear of the passing of Officer Marshall Waters of Mangham. We extend our sincerest prayers to his family during this difficult time.” 

“Becky and I are grieving the loss of Officer and EMT Marshall Waters today. Every day, police put themselves between law-abiding Louisianans and dangerous people, and we’ll never forget Officer Waters’ sacrifice.” Kennedy said. 

One of Marshall Waters’ colleagues, Blayne Muse was also kind enough to say:

“He was always willing to do whatever it took to get the job done and he believed in people regardless of the negative of the situation, Marshall, always found a way to find the positive in that person.”

Muse also stated how much he admired Waters’ positivity and leadership. 

The accused suspect, Hermandus Dashanski Semien, age 27, of Ville Platte, was searched and taken into police custody. The stolen vehicle in which Semien was stopped, reportedly played the role of getaway car in the robbery.

Semien abandoned the stolen vehicle in a ditch near Fort Necessity after shooting Waters. Waters was shot in the lower abdomen beneath his vest.

Semien was found in the woods, still armed, where he was later taken into custody, per State Police. Semien was initially arrested on charges of armed robbery, theft of a motor vehicle, and attempted first-degree murder of a police officer. 

The robbery, which took place earlier that afternoon, occurred at the Medicine Chest Pharmacy in Ville Platte, Louisiana.

He dressed as a chipmunk and was identified rather quickly. State Police and US Marshals were called in to help find him.

According to the surveillance video, Semien entered the rear door, forcing a female employee back inside the store, and held her at gunpoint while she filled a bag with an undisclosed amount of narcotic medication. He ran westbound towards an apartment complex. 

It is unclear if the charges will be upgraded since the unfortunate death of Waters and whether or not an attorney would speak on behalf of Semien.  

Anyone interested in donating to the fallen officer’s family, can do so at A Go Fund Me page was also created by Marshall Waters’ sister, Roshanda Ladson to take care of his family’s needs.  

Funeral arrangements are pending at this time.  

It’s not the first loss in October:

GREENVILLE, S.C.- A tragic car crash that took place Tuesday evening, October 20th, has claimed the life of a Greenville County Sheriff’s deputy.

Master Deputy Conley Jumper was killed, and several others were injured after a traffic stop turned deadly. 

According to reports, around 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, deputies initiated a traffic stop on I-85 northbound near White Horse Road in Greenville.

During that traffic stop, at least one occupant of the stopped vehicle got into a “physical altercation” with two deputies and a struggle ensued, according to Lt. Ryan Flood of the Sheriff’s Office.

During the struggle, the car that deputies had stopped “proceeded to accelerate” and collided with a tractor-trailer, Sheriff Hobart Lewis said. Lewis continued by saying the details of how that acceleration happened are still unclear and under investigation, Greenville News reported.

It was said that two deputies and at least two occupants of the stopped vehicle were injured after the initial collision, according to Lieutenant Flood.

As a third deputy was responding to provide backup, they crashed into the vehicles that were initially stopped. Officials said three deputies and at least two civilians were taken to the hospital following the crash. Master Deputy Jumper did not survive, but the other two deputies and two civilians are expected to make a full recovery. 

In a press conference on Tuesday evening, Sheriff Lewis said Sgt. Conley Jumper had been killed as a result of what happened along I-85. 

Lewis said:

“It is with a broken heart that we confirm tonight that a deputy with our agency identified as Master Deputy Conley Jumper has passed away,”  

Jumper, who was described as a six-foot-four “dedicated lawman”, and “gentle giant”, has been a member of the Sheriff’s Office for almost 28 years, much of that time working with police dogs and building narcotics cases that reached the federal level.

Lewis went on to say:

“He was a man of integrity and compassion,”

He continued:

“He was a dedicated lawman. He was truly larger than life.” 

Greenville News reported that law enforcement officers were stationed near the scene and northbound lanes of I-85 remained completely shut down in the area into the evening Tuesday. As crews worked the scene of the crash, dozens of cars of deputies and troopers were visible alongside unmarked law enforcement vehicles. While officers worked to determine what happened, a stretch of I-85 was illuminated by at least 34 sets of flashing blue lights.

During the press conference, Lewis got noticeably chocked up when asking for prayers for Jumper’s family. He leaves behind a wife, Sarah, and a daughter, Kat. 

Lewis said:

“He had more certifications and instructed more classes than anyone can count, and that’s because he always strived to be the best deputy he could be,” 

He continued:

“He was a tireless worker and loving friend, and he had a heart of gold. He will be missed dearly by everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him.”

Lewis said that Jumper had been a Master Deputy but was promoted to Sergeant posthumously.

In 2018, Jumper was honored with the Russ Sorrow Award by Crime Stoppers of Greenville. The award is named in honor of Sorrow, who also died in the line of duty in 1996. The reward is reserved for officers who “show a high level of professionalism and commitment”, Greenville News reported.

It was an award befitting Jumper, Lewis said.

Lewis is quoted as saying:

“He was a man of integrity and passion,”

He went on to say:

“He was the true essence of a public servant.”

Both collisions are being investigated by the South Carolina Highway Patrol and the State Law Enforcement Division.

Law Enforcement Today sends our thoughts and prayers to the Jumper family, and all of their loved ones.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In August, Law Enforcement Today brought you a story of an officer in Texas that was killed during a traffic stop. 

BEAUMONT, TX – A Texas police officer was killed and another was seriously injured when their cruiser was hit by a wrong-way driver at 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Beaumont Police Department said Officer Sheena Yarbrough-Powell, 23, was killed when a wrong-way driver hit her cruiser, and another officer was seriously hurt while they were driving on Cardinal Drive, near the Highway 347 overpass.

The police cruiser was hit head-on by the driver of a Ford Mustang, according to Beaumont Police spokesperson Officer Haley Morrow.

Yarbrough-Powell was pronounced dead at the scene, Morrow said.

The second officer, who was driving, was rushed to a nearby hospital in serious condition. He is now in stable condition and has had surgery since the crash according to Chief Jimmy Singletary.

Officer murdered after being shot by armed robber whose getaway car he pulled over in a traffic stop
Beaumont Police Department Chief Jimmy Singletary speaking at Sunday afternoon news conference.

The driver of the Ford Mustang was also taken to the hospital.

At a Sunday afternoon news conference, Chief Singletary said Powell was a Lumberton native and had been with the force since 2018. She had been married for only 10 months.

The Beaumont Police Department posted on Facebook:

“It’s a sad day for The Beaumont Police Department and the community that our Officers proudly serve.

“At 2:30 this morning, two Beaumont Police Officers were traveling Northbound on Cardinal Drive, near the Hwy 347 overpass, when they were struck head-on by a wrong way driver.

“One Officer was transported to the hospital with severe injuries but is stable. He underwent surgery early this morning and has since been released. He has a long road to recovery ahead of him but we will be with him every step of the way.

“Unfortunately, his partner did not survive her injuries.

“Officer Sheena Yarbrough-Powell, was a 23 year old Lumberton Native. She was hired by the Beaumont Police Department as a Police Cadet on August 13, 2018. On December 20, 2018 she was sworn in as a Beaumont Police Officer.

“Sheena was assigned to 4th Watch Patrol. She had been married for just 10 months.

“There’s no doubt that it’s an extremely difficult time to be a Police Officer but it’s also an extremely important time. Our Officers and Dispatchers have done a remarkable job during this difficult time but today, we are hurting.

“The next few days, weeks, months and years will be difficult for Sheena’s family, both blood and blue but we will get through this together with the help of our community.

“I would like to say thank you to the State Troopers from the Texas Department of Public Safety for responding and leading the investigation of the crash.

“I would also like the thank the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and Lamar P.D. for stepping in and answering our calls for service while most of our Officers were on the scene of the crash.

“Also, I want to ask our community to not only keep Sheena’s family and the police department in your prayers but Beaumont EMS and Fire Department. Police, Fire and EMS go hand-in-hand.

“We are all first responders and our paths cross multiple times throughout our respective shifts. So this loss is hard for them too.

“We have already started to feel the outpouring of support from the community and it means more than you know. There will be more information released as we plan the services to honor Sheena’s life.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Yarbrough-Powell’s death marks the 18th officer killed in the line of duty in the history of the Beaumont Police Department.

A list of all Beaumont police officers killed is noted on the Officer Down Memorial Page, with the first one being Deputy City Marshal William E. Patterson dying from gunfire on Sept. 25, 1881.

The Texas Department of Public Safety is investigating the recent crash.

Beaumont Mayor Becky Ames told 12News Sunday this is the second officer she has lost since taking office in 2007:

“My thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends left behind after such a needless tragedy. There are no words that can comfort grieving at a time like this, but my hope is that you know how many people in our city grieve with you. Our entire city hurts when we lose a first responder.”

We recently reported on another officer who died in the line of duty in Detroit, Michigan. Law enforcement lost another hero on May 31, 2020, when Officer Waldis “Jay” Johnson succumbed to his injuries sustained in April 2017 when he was shot in the head while responding to a domestic violence call in Detroit.

A 14-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department at the time, Officer Johnson was shot on April 30, 2017 when he and his partner responded to a call at the Oakman Apartments in the city, located on the west side.

They had been dispatched to that location on the report of a domestic disturbance.

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Johnson and his partner had approached a common front door to the apartment complex, which was locked. After a few minutes, a man who was unrelated to the call for service came downstairs.

Johnson was immediately met by a tenant with a gun, who pointed it at Johnson. A struggle ensued for control of the firearm. Johnson let go momentarily to get control of his gun, and both fired at the same time. Two bullets struck the suspect from Johnson’s gun; however, Johnson was shot once in the head. Johnson’s partner, Officer Darren Weathers, fired back and killed the suspect, James Edward Ray, 46.

Johnson suffered a traumatic brain injury and remained in rehab until his death. He is survived by his wife, daughter and two sons.

On July 31, Trooper Caleb Starr, 33, was injured when his vehicle was struck head-on by an intoxicated driver in Michigan. According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Starr was traveling west on Grand River Avenue, in Boston Township, responding to a low-priority call when a vehicle crossed the center line and struck his vehicle.

He had to be extricated from the vehicle and flown by helicopter to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, in Grand Rapids, where he remained until succumbing to his injuries.

Trooper Starr served with the Michigan State Police for less than two years. He is survived by his wife and two children


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First



Related Posts