A failed traffic stop in South Carolina Sunday night resulted in an driver and a state trooper shooting each other.  And in New York in an unrelated incident, police are looking for a suspect who they say tried to kill a cop.

First, details on that shooting in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

South Carolina Department of Public Safety Director Leroy Smith says Trooper Paul Wise tried to pull over a car in York County for a suspected seat belt violation.  Instead, the driver took off.


According to Smith, the chase ended up with the driver fleeing on foot when he hit a dead end on India Hook Road in Rock Hill.

Police say the suspect shot at Wise, hitting him.

Luckily, Wise was wearing body armor.  He then shot and arrested the driver.


Both men have been hospitalized with injuries that aren’t considered to be life threatening. 

Police have not yet released the identity of the driver.  The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division has taken lead on the investigation.


Smith said during a press conference:

“It is also important to note the trooper was wearing his body armor, and thank God for the body armor,” Smith said. “We believe that the body armor saved his life.” 

No other information has been released. 

In the meantime, police in New York City are looking for a would-be cop killer who they say opened fire on police and MISSED.

Willie Smith

Willie Smith

They say they pulled him over for a routine car stop for non-working brake lights at 1:30 a.m. Saturday in Jamaica, Queens.

The suspect is identified as 40-year-old Willie Smith of 171 Place in Jamaica. 

Police say he opened fire three times and luckily didn’t strike an officers.

They say he’s known to carry a .45 caliber handgun and wears a bullet-resistant vest “at all times”.  He’s now wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer.

Smith was NOT the driver of the car.  That was 38-year-old Robert West, who police say remained at the scene at the corner of Sayres Avenue and 175th Street.

They’ve charged him with reckless endangerment and obstructing governmental administration.

It was a violent weekend for law enforcement.

Over the weekend, an officer was injured in a Waffle House shooting and is now listed in stable condition.

Police in Chattanooga, Tennessee are on the hunt for a suspect who allegedly opened fire at a restaurant around 4 a.m. Sunday morning, striking an officer. 


The circumstances surrounding the shooting were not immediately clear, and the situation is continuing to unfold. Police confirmed that another person was injured in the shooting, but the names of the victim and the officer have not been released at this time.

A spokesperson for the Chattanooga Police released the following statement early Sunday morning. “At this time I can confirm we have had one of our officers shot. He has been transported to a local hospital. Police and investigators are actively working the scene.”

The officer’s condition has since been reported as stable.


Reports indicated that police are still looking for the suspect involved in the shooting. The suspect was last seen in the area 4th Avenue and 23rd Street.

“Police and investigators are actively working the scene,” a police spokesperson said.

Just hours earlier, another shooting took place in the Tennessee city. Fox reported that Chattanooga police detained one person after two people were reportedly shot near the entrance to the city’s Riverbend music festival, outside the Tennessee Aquarium.

Both victims were shot in a parking lot and were transported to a nearby medical facility. Their condition is unknown at this time. Police closed down the parking lot to investigate the shooting, preventing festival-goers from being able to retrieve their cars after the final night of perfomances.

The two events do not appear to be linked.

And in Volusia County, Florida we lost another brother in blue.

Senior Deputy Frank Schofield was tragically killed on Sunday when a vehicle failed to stop at the intersection of Tomoka Farms Road and Pioneer Trail.

The vehicle collided with Schofield’s bicycle, striking and killing the deputy. He was just 58 and was reportedly getting excited about his upcoming retirement. There are not a lot of details available about the crash but it appears as though Schofield was not on duty during the time of the accident.

The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office paid their respects to “one of the best” following Schofield’s untimely death. 

“All of us who knew Frank will never forget him,” the post read. “He started his VCSO career in 1995 and became a legendary, widely respected veteran member of our Marine Unit.

The picture that VCSO posted shows Schofield helping a young boy navigate through the water in the sheriff’s office boat. He was clearly a law enforcement icon to his peers and to the public.

Comments on Sunday’s Facebook post proved just that.

“Our hearts are broken. It doesn’t feel possible,” one user commented. “We just spoke to him a week ago. He was so proud of his son and was counting the days until retirement. Our love and prayers go to all his friends and family. He was a wonderful man.”

Schofield was struck by a vehicle that failed to stop at an intersection. (Google Maps)


Schofield was just 58-years-old.

“Please join us in saying a prayer for them today and honoring the memory of a great deputy and a great man,” the post finished.

It is unclear if Schofield was on duty at the time of the accident. More information will be reported as it becomes available.