Officer Down: Deputy Donna killed in on-duty accident in Louisiana. Let’s celebrate her life.


DESOTO PARISH, LOUISIANA- We lost another warrior.

Deputy Donna Richardson-Below, 43, died in a tragic two-vehicle crash while on duty in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana.

“It is with extreme sadness that we report the death of Deputy Donna Richardson, who lost her life in a tragic two-vehicle crash while on duty. Deputy Richardson-Below was a beacon of light and impacted all who knew her,” says a post on the law enforcement agency’s Facebook page.

The collision happened just before 8 a.m. Wednesday on U.S. Highway 84 west of Louisiana Highway 3248 and east of Mansfield, according to Louisiana State Police.

Richardson-Below was driving an unmarked DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Office unit west on U.S. 84 when it was struck by an eastbound 2008 Jeep Cherokee being driven by 33-year-old Richard Wimer.

The Stonewall man lost control of his vehicle as it entered a curve, causing the Jeep to cross the double yellow line and travel into the oncoming lane, where it collided with the deputy’s Ford Crown Victoria, says a statement from Trooper First Class Brent Hardy.

Richardson-Below, who was properly restrained, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Richardson-Below had been with the DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Office since January of 2019 and had previously been an agent with Louisiana Probation and Parole.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

In the meantime, we have new details today about the investigation surrounding the shooting of two police officers in Northeast Baltimore on Wednesday.  Both were assigned to a U.S. Marshals task force.

“Our worst fears became a reality when shots were fired and the two officers were hit,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said.

One officer was released from the hospital Wednesday night. The other had to undergo emergency surgery for his wounds, and remained at Shock Trauma in serious condition, according to Schock’s Physician-in-Chief Dr. Thomas Scalea.

Meanwhile, the gunmen has been identified as a former state corrections officer. 

Michael Marullo, of Scranton, PA, was believed to be in Baltimore. He was wanted on multiple charges, to include attempted homicide. 

When members of the task force made contact with Marullo, gunfire erupted leaving two wounded and the gunmen dead.

Neighbors reported that they saw a sheet covering what appeared to be a body after seeing a “suspect” was shooting back at officers. 

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan said:

“A former state corrections official who had been under investigation, who left his job, and who then had a warrant outstanding for attempted murder in Pennsylvania last night. And came back to Baltimore and then was involved in the shooting today.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI were on scene conducting investigations.

The details from our original coverage is below. 

We’re told that one of the officers is from Baltimore City and one is from Baltimore County.

According to David Lutz, a spokesman for the Marshals Service, they were a part of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force. 

The two were apparently part of a group of officers attempting to arrest a man wanted in a Pennsylvania attempted murder.

Lutz tells local media outlets that the suspect was killed, although he has not yet provided details about that individual.

Both of the officers are currently being treated at Maryland Shock Trauma with what appear to be non life-threatening injuries.  We’re told one officer was injured in the leg and the other in the stomach.

For those unfamiliar with the U.S. Marshals service, they are part of a federal agency.

Their job tasks courthouse security, fugitive apprehension, prisoner transport, and witness security.

According to Lutz, the deputize officers from local, city and county agencies to be part of the local task force.

Everything started just after noon on Wednesday when officers were called to Radecke and Cedonia avenues in the Frankford neighborhood.  According to neighbors, a suspect was shooting back at officers from inside an apartment building.

According to Lutz, the officers were working on an attempted murder warrant – sources tell us the suspect in the shooting is a former Maryland Corrections Officer wanted for a shooting in Pennsylvania.

Police have blocked off an an extensive crime scene in the area, and both the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are responding to the scene.

We’re told that Baltimore Mayor Jack Young and City Council President Brandon Scott are at Shock Trauma.

Gov. Larry Hogan released a statement: 

“This morning, two members of a joint federal-state-local task force—a Baltimore City police officer and a Baltimore County police officer—were struck by gunfire during a warrant apprehension operation.

This task force included state troopers assigned to the Maryland State Apprehension Team, as well as Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

I have directed Maryland State Police Superintendent Bill Pallozzi to offer the state’s full support and all available resources for the investigation. We ask Marylanders to join us in praying for the full and speedy recovery of the brave officers who were injured.

Every day, state law enforcement officials are working in close coordination with federal and local agencies in Baltimore City and throughout the state. We are providing unprecedented resources to combat this violent crime crisis from all directions, with everything we’ve got. The time has come for Baltimore City to finally take back its streets and communities, once and for all.”

Young also sent out a statement:

“I am so very thankful for our officers that step in the line of danger everyday to keep our city and residents safe. My prayers are with the officers and their families.

Our officers are engaged daily with dangerous work and they willingly put their lives at risk so that we all might have a safer City and region. On behalf of the City of Baltimore, we’d like to thank all the members of our law enforcement community.

Scott said:

“At Shock Trauma waiting on updates about the officers shot at Radecke & Cedonia, minutes from my home. My prayers go out to our brave Baltimore City and County officers as well as the whole community who is undoubtedly shaken by this incident. Will share details as we learn more.”

Also today, we now know the names of the officers injured in the shooting at an Arkansas Wal-mart. 

Forrest City police have identified the officers as Lt. Eric Varner and Detective Eugene Watlington.

Varner went to the hospital in Forrest City and was conscious and talking at the scene. He was treated and released.

Watlington was brought to a Memphis hospital and taken into surgery.

A police department spokesperson that Watlington is expected to be OK.

The suspect died at the store on Deaderick Road.

Authorities said that the suspect was known to police but declined to release his name at this time.

Lt. Varner and Det. Watlington are assigned to the Criminal Investigation Department and were in the area when the call came in. He says neither officer was wearing a bullet-resistant vest when they responded to the store.

No civilians were injured in the incident.

The shooting happened on the grocery side of the store.

Here is the original story we brought you after this incident occurred. 

Per WMC5 in Memphis, Forrest City police confirm two officers were shot during an active shooting situation at Walmart Monday morning.

The police chief tells us the suspect was also shot inside the store on Deaderick Road and died at the scene.

They said the seen was secured around 11:40 am, local time. 

It’s not clear how serious the officers’ injuries are. One went to a local hospital and was conscious and talking during transport.

The other officer was brought to Regional One in Memphis. His condition is unknown at this time.

Police say the situation started with a report from someone inside the store that a man was making threats.

Arkansas State Police confirm they have been asked to investigate the shooting incident but provided no other information.

Investigators are planning a news conference around 1 p.m. (CST) Monday. 

A woman who was inside the store at the time said she “heard 12 gunshots around 10:30 am, towards the back of the store. “

This is a developing story. LET will provide more details as they become available.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and vets called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.

Colorado woman uses red flag law against officer who shot and killed her knife-wielding son

NYPD officer ambushed – shot in the face while sitting in his vehicle

NEW YORK CITY- A police officer sitting in a marked van was shot in the face Saturday night in an ambush-style attack.

According to NBC New York, at the time of the shooting, around 8:30 pm., the officer was sitting in the van with a second police officer in the Hunts Point neighborhood, on Simpson Street between E 163th Street and Barretto Avenue. The NYPD issued an advisory to stay clear of the area while they investigate.

A man walked up to a New York police van parked in the Bronx around 8:30 p.m. and started a conversation by asking for directions before opening fire on the officer and then running away.

The officer was grazed in the face by a bullet.

The officer, a six-year veteran of the department, was driven by his partner to a hospital for treatment. He is alert, talking and expected to survive.  His survival is being called an “absolute miracle”.

Police are still searching for the shooter, who is described as dressed in black and wearing a black hat.

Sources said that the NYPD has a description of the shooter and are actively looking for him. They also say police are looking into the possibility that the shooting was an ambush.

LET will bring you an update as soon as one is available. 

Sadly, we have had other officers shot and killed in the past few days, one in Alabama, the other in Florida. We have lost 22 members of the law enforcement community this year. We are grateful that the NYPD officer shot tonight did not make 23. Our thoughts and prayers are with this officer and his family. 

Here is a quick look at those we have lost in just 39 days of 2020. We take the time to remind you, because their lives mattered. 

Corrections Officer Christopher Acres

Middlesex Sheriff’s Office (MSO) Correction Officer Christopher “Chris” Acres died unexpectedly on Jan. 28.

Middlesex Sheriff’s Office (MSO) Correction Officer Christopher “Chris” Acres died unexpectedly on Jan. 28. Funeral services were held yesterday.

The 52-year-old had served the MSO for 31 years.

“It is with profound sadness that we regret to announce the sudden passing of Correction Officer Chris Acres,” the sheriff’s office said in a Facebook post and in a tweet on Jan. 30.

“He was a devoted colleague, friend and family member. We ask you to keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.”

Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Joseph Bullock

Officer Down: He was a husband and father of two. And he always wanted to serve and protect.

Trooper Joseph Bullock was shot and killed when he encountered a disabled vehicle on I-95 just north of the interstate rest area in Martin County.

He stopped to assist what he believed to be a disabled motorist at about 10:15 am. One of the occupants of the vehicle fatally shot him as he approached.

A Riviera Beach police officer who happened to be driving past the scene shot and killed the subject.

Trooper Bullock was a U.S. Air Force veteran and had served with the Florida Highway Patrol for 19 years. He is survived by his parents and two sisters.

Officer Down: He was a husband and father of two. And he always wanted to serve and protect.

Police Officer Nick O’Rear was shot and killed during a vehicle pursuit on I-65 near Old U.S. Highway 31 at about 10:00 pm.

An officer with the Warrior Police Department had initiated the pursuit when he attempted to conduct a traffic stop. Office O’Rear responded to assist in the pursuit when the man opened fire, striking him. Officer O’Rear’s vehicle then crashed nearby. He was transported to UAB Hospital where he succumbed to his wounds at 1:15 am.

The driver fled into Jefferson County where he was taken into custody and subsequently charged with capital murder.

Deputy Sheriff Richard Whitten

Deputy fighting back after being shot in the neck loses his battle, leaves behind wife and kids

Deputy Sheriff Richard Whitten succumbed to complications of a gunshot wound sustained on May 29th, 2019, while responding to a shots fired call in Cleveland. He was en route to a training class and had just driven past the scene of the double-murder when the shooting was dispatched over the radio. As he responded back to the scene and encountered the suspect fleeing in a vehicle. Deputy Whitten and a member of the Cleveland Independent School District Police Department pursued the subject onto CR 2243, where the man immediately pulled into the parking lot of a veterinary office.

As Deputy Whitten challenged the subject the man produced a handgun and opened fire, striking him in the neck and paralyzing him. The other officer returned fire as the subject fled. The man later committed suicide after being located by other officers.

Police Officer Sara Beth Barnes

Officer Down: He was a husband and father of two. And he always wanted to serve and protect.

Barnes was killed on January 3oth after losing control of her SUV while driving on the interstate. 

Cartersville Police Department Officer Sara Beth Barnes was just 32-years-old.

Detective Jacob Nolan Bergren

Officer Down: He was a husband and father of two. And he always wanted to serve and protect.

A detective from Louisiana has reportedly passed away after battling terminal cancer, according to the Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Caddo Parish Juvenile Detective Jacob Nolan Bergren, age 36, died on January 28th surrounded by his friends and family. 

According to reports from the law enforcement agency, Detective Bergren served the Caddo Parish community for nearly a decade. 

Police Officer James “Chip” Smith

Officer Down: He was a husband and father of two. And he always wanted to serve and protect.

Red Bank, TN officer “Chip” Smith was shot and killed during a domestic dispute. 

Authorities have charged is wife in the slaying. 

Police Officer Alan McCollum

Alan McCollum (Corpus Christi Police Department)

He and two other officers were on the scene of the stop when another vehicle struck one of the patrol cars, then struck him and a second officer. Officer McCollum suffered fatal injuries and the other officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Deputy Sheriff Sheldon Gordon Whiteman

Deputy Sheriff Sheldon Gordon Whiteman | Long County Sheriff's Office, Georgia

Deputy Whiteman from the Long County Sheriff’s Office in Georgia was killed while engaged in a high-speed pursuit on Thursday, January 23rd.

While only having been with the department for four months, he had previously served with the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office for four years.

Sadly, he leaves behind his wife, three children, and his father.

Police Officer Katherine Mary Thyne

Police Officer Katherine Mary Thyne | Newport News Police Department, Virginia

Officer Thyne from the Newport News Police Department in Virginia tragically died on Thursday, January 23rd after being dragged by a vehicle for over a block.

She and her partner were investigating reports of drug activity, when they approached a vehicle on 1400 block of 16th Street.

The driver sped off, causing the officer to be dragged, and the driver crashed into a tree which pinned the officer between the vehicle and tree.

The young officer had only been on the force for a year and leaves behind her 2-year-old daughter, fiancée, mother, three brothers, and grandparents.

Major Angelanette Moore

Major Angelanette Moore | Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail, Virginia

Major Moore of the Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail in Virginia passed away on Thursday, January 23rd.

After serving in the jail for 20 years, she collapsed while on duty from a heart attack. Despite officers and medical staff immediately administering CPR, she could not be resuscitated.

She is survived by her husband and son.

Officer Tiffany-Victoria Bilon Enriquez & Officer Kaulike Kalama

Officer Tiffany-Victoria Bilon Enriquez | Honolulu Police Department, HawaiiOfficer Kaulike Kalama | Honolulu Police Department, Hawaii

Officer Enriquez and Officer Kalama of the Honolulu Police Department in Hawaii died on Sunday, January 19th after responding to a stabbing call at a home.

Officer Enriquez was one of the first officers who arrived at the scene to help the stabbing victim. When she approached the house where the suspect was located, she was gunned down.

She was an Air Force Reserves Veteran and served the department for seven years.

Officer Kalama later responded to the residence after Officer Enriquez was shot, and he was also shot by the suspect inside the home.

Officer Kalama had served the department for nine years and leaves behind his wife and son. Officer Enriquez is survived by three daughters and one grandson.

Deputy Sheriff Jarid Taylor

Deputy Sheriff Jarid Taylor | Bryan County Sheriff's Office, Oklahoma

Deputy Taylor of the Bryan County Sheriff’s Office in Oklahoma died in a vehicular crash on Tuesday, January 14th while responding to an emergency call.

He had been with the Sheriff’s office for just under two years and is survived by his two children and fiancée.

Detective Amber Joy Leist

Detective Amber Joy Leist | Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, California

Detective Leist of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in California passed away on Sunday, January 12th after she was struck by an oncoming vehicle after helping an elderly woman who fell in the roadway.

While off-duty, she managed to help the woman safely across the intersection, but was struck while returning to her car.

She served with the department for twelve years and is survived by her two sons.

Police Officer Nicholas Reyna

Police Officer Nicholas Reyna | Lubbock Police Department, Texas

Officer Reyna of the Lubbock Police Department in Texas was killed by another vehicle while tending to a single-car rollover on Saturday, January 11th.

Lieutenant Eric Hill of the Lubbock Fire Department was killed as a result as well. Officer Reyna had only been on the force for a year before he passed.

Police Officer Paul Dunn

Police Officer Paul Dunn | Lakeland Police Department, Florida

Officer Dunn of the Lakeland Police Department in Florida had died as a result of crashing his motorcycle on Thursday, January 9th.

He was heading back to the police station on his department motorcycle when he struck a raised median of the roadway, causing him to be thrown from the bike.

The Marine Corps veteran had served with Lakeland Police Department for six years and had previously served with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office for 12 years. He leaves behind his wife, three children, and two stepdaughters.

Public Safety Officer Jackson Ryan Winkeler

Public Safety Officer Jackson Ryan Winkeler | Florence Regional Airport Department of Public Safety, South Carolina

Officer Winkeler of the Florence Regional Airport Department of Public Safety in South Carolina was shot and killed while conducting a traffic stop Sunday, January 5th.

Officer Winkeler also served as a volunteer firefighter with the Latta Fire Department prior to his passing.

He is survived by both his parents and his sisters.

Investigator Ryan D. Fortini

Investigator Ryan D. Fortini | New York State Police, New York

Officer Fortini of the New York State Police passed away from cancer on Wednesday, January 1st.

He had served the department for 16 years before retiring in 2015, and his cancer had stemmed from his assignment to the search and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center site following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Officer Fortini is survived by his fiancee, parents, brother, and sister.

Officer Munir “Mo” Edais

Officer Munir “Mo” Edais

Officer Munir “Mo” Edais

Officer Munir “Mo” Edais of the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department died unexpectedly on January 21st.

The circumstances of the officer’s death were never revealed, but he’d served with the department for 10 years and leaves behind his 2 children and one child on the way.

Investigator John Cole Haynie

Investigator John Cole HaynieInvestigator John Cole Haynie of the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office in Georgia died on Saturday, January 25th after a month-long battle with the flu.

He had served the sheriff’s office for 8 years prior to his passing. He is survived by his wife.

Officer Cesar Ramirez

Officer Cesar Ramirez

Officer Cesar Ramirez

Officer Ramirez of the Norwalk Police Department in Connecticut passed away on January 28th after battling brain cancer.

He had served the department for 32 years prior to passing and was celebrated by his community and Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling named December 13th as “Cesar Ramirez Day” in his honor.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First


Related Posts