Officer being brutally attacked by suspect ends up being saved by four random Good Samaritans


WILLOUGHBY, OH – An officer in Ohio and the police department she works for are grateful that four people saw a man attacking her and decided to do the right thing and stop and help her.

Had the good Samaritans not stopped to help, God knows how the fight would have ended.

Those in law enforcement know that there is no such thing as a ‘routine traffic stop.’ Regardless of the time of day or infraction the person is being stopped for, officers never know how the stop will end.

An example of this happened on September 10th when Willoughby Police Officer Stacee Wright stopped a vehicle for speeding.

The stop occurred like hundreds of others Ofc. Wright has conducted throughout her career, finds a person who is speeding within her jurisdiction and pulls them over.

Only this stop, which happened just before 4:30 p.m., did not end like any she has probably conducted throughout her career.

Willoughby Police Department reported when the vehicle Ofc. Wright stopped and came to a rest, the suspect, identified as 64-year-old David Koubeck, went into his backseat to get his license.

On the dashcam video, Ofc. Wright instructs Koubeck to sit down next to his vehicle and he refused, saying:

“I’m not sitting. I’m not sitting.”

While refusing the officer’s direction to sit down, Koubeck began pointing his finger in her face and at one point, pushed her. After the push, Koubeck shouted:

“I’m not sitting, mother [expletive]!”

Ofc. Wright began ordering Koubeck to place his hands on the vehicle or to turn around with his hands behind his back.

After he refused, a physical struggle ensued between the officer, who was trying to arrest him, and Koubeck who was seemingly intent on harming the officer.

Four people who happened to be in the area noticed Koubeck attacking Ofc. Wright, instead of just pulling out a cell phone and recording the incident or driving by, jumped in to help her.

The four people who jumped in were able to help Ofc. Wright place the man in handcuffs and then immediately left the area.

Willoughby Police Sergeant Michael Sevel spoke to 3News about the situation, saying:

“His [Koubeck’s] behavior was aggressive towards her, he refused several commands of hers, all of these are red flags. So we’re thankful it ended the way it did because it could have ended worse.”

Willoughby Police Chief Jim Schultz also weighed in on the incident, praising the four Good Samaritans for their actions in helping his officer. The Chief issued a post on Facebook praising the efforts of the community that his agency serves:

“I would like to personally thank several great Samaritans and our wonderful community for their quick action and support. On Saturday afternoon around 4:25 pm, several people assisted our Department during an incident on Lost Nation Road…

“I am so proud of our community and the tremendous support we receive on a day-to-day basis. Saturday was another awesome example. I greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!”

Sgt. Sevel added:

“It just makes us extremely proud to work for Willoughby, where there’s good people willing to put their safety on the line. They had no idea what they were stepping into, they could have been risking their lives to help that officer.”

Ofc. Wright sustained what was described as minor injuries during the attack and was treated and released from the hospital. Koubeck was charged with assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, traffic charges of speeding, and not wearing a seatbelt.

HOA tells residents trying to honor fallen veterans that three American flags is "too many"

Caught on camera: Woman handcuffed, placed in police SUV gets officer’s rifle, opens fire

CLAY COUNTY, OK – A woman who was the subject of a wellness check was detained by a sheriff’s deputy and was placed in the back seat of a marked SUV in handcuffs.

Deputies then had a conversation with another civilian in the yard of the home. Their intent was only to detain her for erratic behavior, and she was not going to be arrested.

It only took a few minutes for that to change.

Cameras inside the vehicle captured what unfolded in that backseat and led to 36-year-old Rachael Zion Clay to be held on a $1 million bail.

The woman can be seen wiggling around, eventually freeing one of her hands from the cuffs. She was then able to reach through the partition, release the lock that held the deputy’s rifle.

She brought it back through the partition, and as video shows, she tinkered with the rifle for several minutes while seemingly rocking back and forth.

After nearly four minutes, Clay can be seen haphazardly pointing the rifle out the back window and firing it blindly.

Authorities were able to confirm what video appeared to show.

“While in the back seat of a patrol car, she was able to get her wrist free from the handcuffs and the handcuffs were put on properly,” said Grady County Undersheriff Gary Boggess.

“There’s several switches, one is a gun switch to unlock the gun lock and she found it, unlocked the gun lock, and was able to retrieve an AR-15 rifle. Then she was able to figure out how to put a round in it, put it on fire and she fired approximately 10 rounds at our deputies and a civilian.”

Body camera footage captured the moment of the shots, and the civilian can be seen being shot. He grabs at his chest and screams “ow.”

Seconds later, as they all retreated to cover behind the other deputy’s vehicle, a blood stain appears on his shirt in the area he initially clutched.

A deputy radioed for additional units and EMS. He was also hit, with a round grazing his head, narrowly avoiding a more catastrophic outcome.

A young man can be seen coming out of the home, and officers telling him to get behind the vehicle. He was the son of the wounded civilian. Helped render aid to both injured men until EMS arrived.

Clay barricaded herself in the vehicle for close to three hours before eventually surrendering.  She was charged with shooting with intent to kill.

Authorities say that both men were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and have been released.

The events of that day, while freak in nature, provided valuable insight into how things can be done differently to protect both law enforcement and innocent civilians.

Boggess told ABC 7 that his agency is looking into protocol and practice changes to prevent this sort if incident from happening again.

“One, I will say, is our console where it actually said ‘gun,’” he said. “She was able to see that. That’s going to be replaced. We’re going to put a switch someplace else in the vehicle to lock our gun.

It’s a freak deal. It’s one of these, I’m not going to say one in a million, but you know, it’s one of those deals that, you know, once it happens, then you go back and try to make sure it never happens again. That’s what we’re looking at.”

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts