Off-duty Border Patrol agent stops mass stabbing inside Texas Sam’s Club. Where’s the media?


MIDLAND, TX – On March 14th, there was an instance of an off-duty Border Patrol agent who was at the right place at the right time. He potentially saved several lives who were out doing some shopping.

Authorities from the Midland Police Department have stated that Jose Gomez had admitted to stabbing four individuals inside of the Sam’s Club over the weekend.

Off-duty Border Patrol agent stops mass stabbing inside Texas Sam's Club.  Where's the media?
Jose Gomez mugshot  -Midland PD

While police have not gotten an understanding as to why the stabbing occurred in the first place, the suspect was taken into custody thanks to a Border Patrol agent who happened to be at the scene as it played out.

The incident took place at around 7:30 p.m. that evening, when Gomez allegedly stabbed two children and two adults inside of the store.

One of the victims was an employee of the store who’d approached Gomez after catching wind of customers being stabbed.

The off-duty agent, who has been reported as Agent Bernie Ramirez, intervened. Agent Ramirez drew his weapon and managed to disarm the 19-year-old suspect and detain him until police arrived.

All of the injured victims were then transported to the Midland Memorial Hospital.

Of the four victims injured in the stabbing, three were already released from the hospital at the time of this writing. The fourth individual injured, who was cited as having non-life-threatening injuries, is expected to be released soon as well.

Gomez is facing three counts of attempted capital murder and one count of aggravated assault for the incident.

The FBI has also gotten involved in the investigation and have reason to believe that there may have been some sort of racial motivation associated with the stabbings.  

Speaking of incidents involving stabbings, we’d recently gotten an update on the suspect who allegedly stabbed a police officer in Rochester, New York back in January. 

Reports have surfaced that a man accused of stabbing a police officer in the face had his bail reduced from $75,000 to $25,000.

Jamal Dima is the 20-year-old accused of stabbing Officer Brian Cala in January (more on that below) with a five-inch knife in Glendale park. He’s currently facing charges under aggravated assault on an officer and criminal mischief.

Dima is said to be heading back in court in May of this year with his trial to begin some time in August.

Here’s the background on what led to Dima’s arrest.

Police Officer Brian Cala was reportedly stabbed in the face in Rochester during an altercation with a suspect over reports of criminal mischief on January 26th of 2020.

Officials stated at the time that Officer Cala was hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries and that the suspect was taken into custody shortly thereafter.

However, that incident had marked the second time in a four-month period that a Rochester Police officer was stabbed by a suspect in the line of duty.

During the January incident, the Rochester Police Department dispatched a unit to the scene after a call came in regarding a 20-year-old male engaging in criminal mischief in the neighborhood of Glendale Park late in the afternoon.

Officials from the Rochester Police Department stated that after Officer Cala arrived at the scene and was attacked, reportedly being stabbed in the upper body and face from the knife-wielding suspect he encountered.

One of the officers present during the altercation shot at the male suspect, striking him in the upper body.

Officer Cala was described as a 20-year veteran of the force.

A foot pursuit ensued after the assault on the officer, where the suspect was later apprehended on Dewey Avenue.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.

Feds moving to stop passengers from flying with pets as 'emotional support animals'

The officer was taken to the Strong Memorial Hospital and was said to be expected to recover from the encounter at the time.

The suspect who sustained the gunshot wound was transported over to the Rochester General Hospital. Police say he is expected to recover.

An investigation ensued as to what may have prompted the suspect to launch an attack at responding officers. When the suspect appeared in court on January 28th, he pled not guilty to the charges. 

Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren released the following statement about the incident:

“Our police officers put themselves at risk every time they put on their uniform. Sadly, today, one of Rochester’s finest was injured while protecting our city.

While I am heartened to hear that the injured officer will be released from the hospital and heading home soon, I ask all of our residents to pray for him and his family. I am thankful that no one was more seriously injured in this incident and wish our officer a quick and full recovery.”

The latest stabbing of an officer came just months after another law enforcement official was stabbed several times back in early October in Rochester. When called out to a domestic disturbance on Friday, October 4th, 2019, Officer Denny Wright was attacked by a 28-year-old man toting a knife.

Officer Wright was also a 20-year-veteran to the department, according to Deputy Chief Mark Mura.

The officer arrived at a home located on Peck Street to investigate the call at around 11:45 a.m. that morning. The lone officer was then attacked by the suspect, getting stabbed several times in the upper and lower body.

The officer assaulted had fired one round from his weapon during the attack, but had missed the suspect. A local resident, Lydell Weatherspoon, was made aware of the commotion going on in the Peck Street home and helped the officer.

When speaking to a local news crew, Weatherspoon described the blood covering the officer inside the home:

“Couldn’t see the officer at all, all you saw was red. That’s how I know he immediately needed help.”

After the intervention of both bystanders and other responding officers, the suspect was taken into custody and transported to a hospital for what was described as an evaluation.

Witnesses reported that the suspect had a history of perceived mental illness or issues. Officer Wright was then immediately taken to the Rochester General Hospital where he was listed as being in serious, but stable condition.

After the incident that played out in October, Police Chief Singletary stated that all Rochester Police cars will have two officers in them from there on. The chief noted that officer safety is the number one concern moving forward:

“As Chief, my concern is for the overall well-being of my officers.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts