NYPD officer shot, returns fire on naked suspect during Harlem gunfight


An armed and naked man shot a cop inside a Harlem apartment building Wednesday night during a “violent struggle”. Thank God the officer’s vest saved him. 

The officer then returned fire, killing the man.

Police say the 34-year-old officer is a seven-year veteran of the force from the 32nd Precinct. 

He was rushed to Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.

Police Commissioner James O’Neill told reporters the bullet fired at Frederick Douglass Boulevard did not penetrate his body.

Officers found a firearm on the suspect, who they later identified as 29-year-old Victor Hernandez. He was pronounced dead at Harlem Hospital.

According to police sources to the NY Post, that suspect was the superintendent of the building at 2785 Frederick Douglass Boulevard and his mother was a cop at the 52nd Precinct.

It all went down just before 2 a.m. after a 911 call came in from a resident saying a man was harassing her, banging on doors and breaking glass.

Eight officers responded.

 “As the officers fanned out to search the second-floor hallway, one officer suddenly encountered the suspect standing naked, pointing a 9mm semiautomatic handgun  at the officer,” O’Neill said. “A violent struggle immediately began and shots were fired.”

According to O’Neill, the officer “yelled for help as the struggle continued.”

“The other officers discharged their firearms, striking the suspect several times. Our officer had been shot one time in the chest. The round did not penetrate his bullet-resistant vest. Our officer had also been punched numerous times, resulting in injuries to his face,” O’Neill said.

It’s not the suspects first run-in with law enforcement.  He’s had “previous interactions with the police,” he said.

The Post reports that he had two domestic violence arrests this year, according to their sources.

The 911 caller told The Post she heard “a lot of commotion going on in the hallway,” including glass breaking.

“When police came, I buzzed them in. I felt threatened,” said the second-floor resident who identified herself as Selena.

“I open my door… I saw Victor, he was buck naked. He had a laptop, a tablet – no bigger than that – he was buck naked and banging on the other door.”

She continued:

“I don’t know if he was high, I don’t know, but he had that look in his eye, kind of wild – because I made eye contact with him he started running towards me and I shut my door… he was kicking my door. He ran towards his apartment.”

She also said she saw a dead dog in the hallway.

“Next thing I heard: ‘Shoot him! Shoot him! Shoot him!’“ she said.

The mayor, known for his attacks on law enforcement, made sure to show face and let everyone know it.

Mayor de Blasio said the officer was in “good spirits” and with his wife, who is a fellow cop whom he met at the police academy.

“Thank God, because of his vest he is alive he is well,” Hizzoner said. “This is a situation… that our officers face every day in the city, a call comes in, something happens you don’t expect it to happen.”

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

NYPD officer shot, returns fire on naked suspect during Harlem gunfight

In the meantime, two police officers were faced with their worst nightmare on Sunday after armed suspects threatened their lives and they were forced to fatally shoot them. So why didn’t you hear about it in the media? 

Because it doesn’t fit their narrative of “innocent” people being “murdered” by police.

Officers were involved in two fatal shootings on Sunday. One took place in Boise, Idaho, the other in north St. Louis.

According to local source KTVB, A woman is dead after an officer-involved shooting that occurred shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday morning near North Clover Drive and West State Street.

Police responded to a call at about 6 a.m. Sunday about a suspicious woman in the area who was banging on front doors and walking through people’s yards.


The woman pounded on Danny Boyd’s door while he was watching TV with his son.

“We heard a really loud banging on our front door like someone really trying to get our attention,” Boyd said. “My son thought it was someone we knew so he yelled come in.”

The woman came inside Boyd’s home and said she was looking for someone.

“She gave us a name and said they stole some property from her while she was in jail and came back to collect on it,” Boyd said.

Boyd said the woman left and proceeded to pound on neighbors’ doors. He then went outside to confront her.

“I said it’s probably not the best idea to go in their yard at six in the morning they get quite aggressive and she said, ‘Don’t worry, I can too,'” he said.

That’s when Boyd said he called the police. Officers arrived within minutes.

“Then a couple minutes later, maybe four minutes later, heard five or six gunshots just ring out real fast, rapid succession, and that was it,” Boyd said. “Grabbed my family and got them to the back of the house and waited for everything to die down.”

Police say they confronted the woman, who was sitting inside of a vehicle. She pulled a gun on the officers prompting them to open fire and kill her, according to the Boise Police Department.

The identity of the woman and the identity of the officers involved in the shooting have not been released.


More than one officer was on the scene at the time of the incident, but who fired is still under investigation.

According to the Boise Police Department, there is no ongoing threat to the community.

No officers were injured in the shooting.

Meanwhile, in St. Louis, KSDK reports officials said a man was shot and killed in an officer-involved shooting in the Old North St. Louis neighborhood early Sunday morning.

The incident happened just after 5 a.m. near North 13th Street and Clinton near the Bristol Place Townhomes. A man was shot in his torso and taken to an area hospital where he later died, officials said.

St. Louis Metropolitan Chief John Hayden said the shooting stemmed from a failed traffic stop after the driver sped away from two officers near St. Louis Ave and N. Florissant.  Police said the man ran out of his car after he crashed into two poles half a mile from the initial traffic stop. 

The officer then reportedly attempted to tase the suspect, but it was unsuccessful. 

“As the officers confront this individual, the person refuses to take their hand out of their pocket,” said Hayden. “The officer attempts to tase the suspect, unsuccessfully. The suspect then pulls his weapon from his pants pocket, points it at the officer and the officer in turn fires several shots into the torso of the suspect.”

Witnesses said that they heard at least six gunshots ring out. No officers were injured during the shooting.

A loaded 9mm gun was found at the scene and two different types of narcotics were found inside the crashed car, police said.

Hayden said the 39-year-old officer who fired the shots has been on the force for 13 years. He has been placed on paid administrative leave.


The officer’s 28-year-old partner was also on scene during the incident. He has been on the force for three years. 

“It’s a dangerous job every day, and the officers are trained to deal with the dangers they’re faced with,” Hayden said.


Both investigations are ongoing. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts