This editorial is brought to you by a former Chief of Police and staff writer for Law Enforcement Today.
New York City, New York – Despite the massive $5 billion budget cut passed for the 2021 fiscal year in New York City, the City Council is allocating $4 million in 2021 in tax-payer-funded resources for “sex workers”.
Because like many crooked politicians, even when revenue is low, there’s always money for prostitutes.
— New York Post (@nypost) August 8, 2020
While seeing numerous departments and agencies getting funds slashed for 2021, like the NYPD, these funds for “sex workers” are going to pay for expenses like housing, medical care, legal services (now why would prostitutes need legal services – insert sarcasm) and countless other aspects to meet the needs of those engaging in earning income via ill-gotten gains.
Sean Coleman serves as the executive director of the Bronx LGBTQ Center Destination Tomorrow, which is one of the entities that got $460,000 of this slice of “sex worker” money. Coleman stated how times are tough for those that decide to illegally sell their body:
“Since the COVID-19 pandemic, we have seen an influx of sex workers who are reaching out asking for assistance with paying rent, utilities and food.”
It’s comforting to know that it took a global pandemic for consumers of these services to wager that engaging in intimacy is risky business is prostitutes – because STDs and a criminal record apparently weren’t enough of a deterrent to begin with.
Now to be fair, the “sex worker” funds did have a slight cut from last year’s allocated prostitute money (yes, New Yorkers were paying for hookers with tax dollars last year without actually getting “the goods” in exchange). Last year’s budget was $4.38 million, so an astounding $270,000 was cut from said funds.
The city’s public hospital system snagged $700,000 to assist people in the sex trade in the upcoming budget and Sanctuary for Families also renewed a contract worth $500,000 which some of those funds will be used to offer social services and healthcare to “sex workers”.
Because prostitutes need to have stable housing too; because if they don’t, then they can only entertain their Johns at a motel with bedsheets that would look like a Jackson Pollock painting under a blacklight.
Nothing quite like having budgeting priorities in order over in New York City.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
New York City has some strange priorities as of late – like housing sex offenders right next to an elementary school playground.
There’s nothing more unwanted in a community than someone convicted crimes related to pedophilia – yet it seems that New York City has housed six convicted pedophiles in a Manhattan hotel that lies just under 1000 feet away from a elementary school playground.
— Brewer Shettles (@BrewerShettles) August 8, 2020
According to state law, the aforementioned is a violation of law in and of itself via issued court opinions on what it means that convicted sex offenders cannot enter or be near schools or other areas primarily designated for children.
The Belleclaire hotel at Broadway and West 77th Street is located near the playground for PS 87, which the state’s Sex Offender Registry still shows the six to still be housed there under their primary residence.
As of August 7th, a city rep noted that the listings were inaccurate and claimed that the six mentioned pedophiles on the registry “are not at that location.” When pressed on whether the six men have ever been housed at said location post release, no further comment was provided by the city rep.
As of August 8th, Law Enforcement Today confirmed on the registry that the men are still being listed as living at the addresses afforded to the Belleclaire hotel.
Here are the six pedophiles still listed at the address:
Twenty-six-year-old Devron Vernal was convicted in March of 2015 under the charge of sexual contact with an individual less than 11-years-old. His victim, who his relationship status was cited as being “non-stranger”, was a 4-year-old girl. His criminal acts were described as “sexual contact” and “deviate sexual intercourse”. Vernal was sentenced to 4 years in prison for the offense.
Twenty-nine-year-old Jonathan Evans was convicted in October of 2010 under the charge of criminal sexual act in the first-degree of a victim less than 11-years-old. His victim, who his relationship status was cited as being “non-stranger”, was a 6-year-old boy.
His criminal acts were described as “sexual intercourse”, “sexual contact” and “deviate sexual intercourse”. Evans was sentenced to 5 years in prison for the offense.