ALBANY, NY- Let this sink in—under New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo—who is being hailed as the next great thing in Democratic presidential politics, the New York State prison system just released eight sex offenders from jail.
Three of these inmates had been convicted of raping children. So, while liberals race to save prison inmates from coronavirus, we are releasing sexual deviants back into the community to rape again.
Law Enforcement Today has learned from Breitbart News that this weekend in Monroe County, New York, the jail freed more than 50 inmates from custody as part of the state’s legalized jailbreak program sponsored by the Department of Corrections and Community Services, according to WIVB-4.
The biggest outrage is that the eight were all identified by New York state courts as being likely to re-victimize children. Yet they were released. Pissed off yet? This is an outrage.
Patrick Phelan, chief of police in Greece, NY., told WIVB that his office was not notified by state officials of the sex offenders’ release, even though the state had placed them in a local Holiday Inn Express.
“We weren’t told by anyone. I think good practice would be if you’re going to release convicted felons,” Phelan said.
“Some of them very violent, some of those level three sex offenders, you might want to give law enforcement the heads up.”
Phelan further said that the inmates were not under the direct supervision of parole and the hotel staff was told to immediately notify the Department of Corrections if any of the inmates left the property.
Ok, let us get this straight…hotel staff is supposed to get involved with making sure these criminals stay on hotel property?
“So, you have a violent criminal who’s done time in state prison who’s been given the chance of parole, and not followed the conditions of their parole. That’s who you’re talking about right now,” Phelan said.
Of the four sex offenders staying at the Holiday Inn Express, three are registered level three sex offenders. New York State Court designates level 3 sex offenders as the most dangerous, “high risk of repeat offense and a threat to public safety.”
— Sabrina Maggiore (@sabri_maggiore) March 29, 2020
Media reached out to DOCCS for their response to Chief Phelan’s concerns, and they said the decisions on who to release was based on a “review of the underlying technical violation, not the original crime.” Really.
Greece Town Supervisor Bill Reilich is fuming about the decision to release the inmates into his community.
He said that he is calling on Monroe County Sheriff Baxter and all law enforcement agencies to join him in contacting Cuomo and insisting that he return the inmates to their cells at Monroe County jail.
“I think it’s being cautious and the safety of my residents is the number one priority,” said Reilich.
“This morning we sent out the notification that we normally would when a sex offender moves into your neighborhood, to notify the residents so they could be aware of what’s going on,” he continued.
Here is a statement that Reilich issued:
Cuomo’s Department of Corrections and Community Services had the audacity to defend their decision. In a statement to local media, they said:
“This significant action is being taken in response to a growing number of COVID-19 cases in local jails over the past few days and weeks.”
Reilich thinks the move was not necessary and he believes the jails could have handled a potential outbreak without releasing prisoners.
“The jail was doing a fine job of ensuring that there was no virus in the jail and at this point if we had run into that situation certain measures would have been taken. We’re not in that situation,” Reilich added.
Across the country, we have been told that “older, low risk” inmates would be released under these early release programs, not violent sex offenders.
It is unknown if this next statement was made with a straight face.
“Our top priority remains the public health and safety of New Yorkers during this global public health emergency and this measure will further protect a vulnerable population from contracting and transmitting this infections disease,” a department official said.
This is maddening. How in the hell can this be justified? The state of New York is clearly putting the interests of prison inmates ahead of its citizens, including its most vulnerable, children.
At a time when children will be outside, with schools across New York being closed, how long do you think before one of these perverts victimizes a child? I guarantee if it was my child, there would be hell to pay.
This latest abomination comes as Cuomo has ordered the release of 1,100 inmates who have broken the terms of their parole in fear that the convicts may contract the coronavirus in prison.
In New York City, de Blasio has said that he will have 375 inmates back out into the public sphere. On a federal level, 14 Republican and Democrat Senators—including Mike Lee (R-UT), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)—have urged the Justice Department to free felons over the age of 60.
The coronavirus outbreak is changing America, and not in a good way. We have seen in some cases the best of our country, but in others we have seen the worst. The erosion of civil liberties and the emptying of our prisons will change our country. We will not know the damage that has been done until it is too late.
Inmates released from Rikers Island are now getting hotels, cab fare, and a free phone
There’s a delicate balance that comes with trying to promote safety for jail employees in Rikers due to COVID-19, but also maintaining public safety. So, it’s no surprise that Rikers has been releasing inmates, but do they really need hotel rooms and cab fare, too?
Reports have been making the rounds that an unspecified number of inmates released from the jail have been getting a personal ride to their destination, along with a cell phone and possible hotel rooms.
OK. I’m DONE for the night. Many of us are fighting like hell to get protective gear for our city workers & ventilators for our hospitals and the Mayor’s giving cell phones to murderers & child molesters. It’s absolutely shameful. You voted for this #NYC! https://t.co/KBXeUYcMna
— Nicole Malliotakis (@NMalliotakis) March 27, 2020
As of March 26th, there’s been a reported 58 cases of COVID-19 that have affected various employees within the Departments of Corrections, along with 73 inmates testing positive within DOC facilities.
While one could certainly appreciate trying to avoid further spread to DOC employees and inmates, the “bells and whistles” seems just too over the top.
A DOC employee spoke with the NY Post on March 27th about the ongoing goodies being dispersed:
“This is a disgrace to all correction officers — insane and dishonorable.”
It’s even more of a disgrace because Mayor Bill de Blasio has still not afforded DOC personnel proper access to PPE like face masks to ensure increased safety measures.
— Julia Marsh (@juliakmarsh) March 27, 2020
Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for City Hall, explained that inmates within Rikers who present symptoms of COVID-19 are being afforded hotel rooms that have been traditionally used by the Department of Homeless Services to serve as impromptu isolation units.
Outside of those showcasing symptoms, other released inmates will have hotel rooms allocated if they’re under work release or are homeless upon release.
The idea is that these inmates who could be asymptomatic can be monitored after being released from the jail.
Cohen further confirmed that the cell phones and periodic cab fare are being administered.
The rationale behind the issued flip-phones is to be able to maintain contact with those released under certain guidelines for monitoring. The purpose for disbursing cab fare is for those who may carry the virus can avoid public transportation.
With the reasoning articulated, the measures can potentially decrease the viral spread of COVID-19 to a degree. Yet, the amenities given in the name of safety doesn’t make them easier pills to swallow.
In other news, de Blasio has been trying to place his city’s lacking supplies of PPE and medical supplies on President Trump.
New York mayor Bill de Blasio is quick to blame the Trump administration for pretty much everything. However, the fact that the city didn’t secure its first order of emergency protective gear and supplies until March 6 is squarely on him.
Law Enforcement Today has learned from sources that de Blasio, who has been trying to deflect blame for the city’s apparent lack of preparation for the coronavirus in fact was asleep at the switch as the virus swept across China and then into Europe and finally the United States.
On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” de Blasio said that the White House needed to step up and provide the city with huge shipments of medical supplies by April, including surgical masks and respirators. He has also asked for the military to assist the city.
“He’s not acting like a commander-in-chief because he doesn’t know how,” the communist sympathizing mayor said. “He should get the hell out of the way.”
De Blasio complained that the city comprised “30 percent of the coronavirus cases in the United States, 70 percent in the state of New York,” while ignoring criticisms directed at him that he waited too long to take care of matters such as closing schools and other actions to keep New York residents from making contact with each other. “We need to take intense radical action right now.”
“If the president doesn’t act within days to maximize production, to get surgical masks, if he doesn’t mobilize the US military, people will die,” de Blasio said.
Sources say that on Feb.7, officials with the city’s Office of Emergency Management attempted to purchase nearly 200,000 N95 masks, however weeks later they learned that vendors had run out.
On March 6 and March 10, a full two months plus after the coronavirus outbreak first hit China, they finally secured the first emergency procurements of masks and hand sanitizer, according to the city’s comptroller’s office.
De Blasio blames Trump for lack of supplies yet NYC did not order supplies until March.
Must have slipped his mind. https://t.co/vGfMj1ytlf
— Deplorable Resistor ?????? (@DeplrbleRzistr) March 20, 2020
“Our city is the epicenter of this outbreak in the United States and we are lacking supplies because the mayor didn’t notice until two weeks ago?” said an angry City Councilman Chaim Deutsch.
“We ought to have been prepared for this. Blaming Trump is an easy way to avoid hard questions, but it exposes a distinct lack of management on the part of this administration,” Deutsch, a Brooklyn Democrat said.
According to a city hall spokeswoman, the city’s Office of Emergency Management on February 7 tried to purchase the masks, however regular vendors had run out. She said that the Health Department had already procured 19 million surgical masks and noted that there had been no payment delays.
In March, Comptroller Scott Stringer approved the early March orders of masks and hand sanitizer the same day, however a medical supply vendor who maintains standing city contracts told the New York Post that initial requests for the protective gear from the city’s Department of Citywide Administrative Services were caught up in bureaucratic red tape.
He noted that it took the agency and average of 72 hours to complete an order.
“We’d send them a list of products we can deliver within 24, 48 hours,” said the head of one of the medical supply companies.
He declined to be named out of fear of losing his current contracts.
“The private sector is knocking on our door all day, every day. We have every hospital facility from Buffalo to across the country chasing us for the same product—N95 masks, surgical masks, gloves, hand sanitizer—and the city just moves so slow, I mean it’s a joke,” he said.
The vendor stated that his company started stocking up on supplies in January and he works with a Chinese manufacturer that’s operating at 100 percent capacity.
He noted that the city missed out on eight of 10 supply orders because DCAS blew payment deadlines. And this is President Trump’s fault somehow?
“I personally live in the city. It’s just a shame to see the city move at the pace they’re moving. It’s just an embarrassment,” the supplier said.
“For the private sector, we’ve been selling and pushing product in the last four weeks and the city woke up two weeks ago,” the executive said.
A city spokeswoman said there were not payment delays.
On March 16, de Blasio suspended typical procurement rules and took over the process. Prior to that, the comptroller’s office approved 12 emergency contracts totaling $150 million.
During his press briefing last Thursday, de Blasio sought to assure the NYPD and other first responders who have complained about the lack of protective equipment, that he’s tried everything in his power to obtain supplies.
“We will do everything we can to get every conceivable supply of protective equipment from anywhere in the nation that we can on the private market and get it directly to you,” de Blasio said.
He then added that President Trump “has to give the order to get the federal government to get you what you deserve.”
Way to deflect there Mr. Mayor.
According to Nick Benson, a DCAS spokesman, the city maintains a three- month supply of gloves, cleaning products and hand sanitizer.
Since the onset of the coronavirus outbreak, the city has ordered 25 million masks, 2 million bottles of hand sanitizer, 12,000 thermometers, and 2,000 ventilators. Turnaround times “vary significantly,” Benson said.
“There is enormous demand for these and other products, but the City of New York is leveraging existing contracts with vendors to obtain supplies. When a vendor is unable to provide the quantity we need, we have identified other vendors. In many cases, vendors are shipping goods as soon as they’re manufactured,” Benson noted.
On March 19th, de Blasio complained that if the federal government doesn’t send 3 million more N95 masks, 50 million more surgical masks, 15,000 ventilators and 45 million surgical gowns, coveralls gloves and face shields by April, the city might run out of these supplies.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!