North Carolina city volunteers to take unaccompanied illegal migrant children – on the taxpayer dime

Share:

GREENSBORO, NC- The Biden administration, after opening the southern border to a floodgate of illegal migrant children is now in the process of trying to find cities in which to house them.

According to the Washington Free Beacon, one mayor in North Carolina apparently thinks it is a wonderful idea and is prepared to welcome a number of them into the city.

Greensboro mayor Nancy Vaughan said Thursday that opening an overflow shelter for hundreds of the unaccompanied migrant children could add “as many as 800 jobs” for city residents, and said the federal government (in other words, taxpayers) would be paying for the accommodations.

Officials from the Department of Health and Human Services visited Greensboro on Tuesday, according to the Washington Examiner.

That outlet reported that HHS is looking at the American Hebrew Academy, a boarding school which has been closed as a site which would hold up to 800 children, city officials said.

“On Tuesday, May 4, both city and county officials met with representatives from the US Department of Health and Human Services to conduct a site assessment of the American Hebrew Academy facility at 4334 Hobbs Rd. The facility is one of several sites across the country identified as unused property for potential use as a temporary influx housing for unaccompanied children,” the City of Greensboro said in a statement released Thursday.

City officials said that they had not reached out to HHS with the proposal, but rather it was the Biden administration that reached out to Greensboro. Officials said the boarding school closed in 2018 due to financial issues.

Officials from HHS have visited the city twice in recent weeks, however, isn’t expected to announce the lucky winner of the migrant sweepstakes until later this summer. According to the Examiner, HHS would contract medical, security, food and other services for the site.

Vaughan said the jobs which “could potentially” be created included “food services, clinicians, teachers, and more.” The federal government would apparently be responsible for on-site security, and medical needs which would be independent of city and county resources.

If Greensboro were selected it would become part of over a dozen emergency facilities nationwide to join the influx of migrants who crossed the border at Biden’s invitation, with the federal government being over-run and not having adequate existing facilities in which to house the migrant children.

Record numbers of unaccompanied children have been showing up at the border to take advantage of Biden’s lax border enforcement policies.

Biden of course reversed Trump-era policies which started in March of last year, where the administration opted not to arrest anyone crossing the border illegally, but instead turned them back and returned them to Mexico to be dealt with there. That policy saved border area facilities from becoming overrun.

However, in February, Biden directed ICE and CBP to stop turning away children, which resulted in 18,000 unaccompanied illegal migrant children crossing the US-Mexico border n March, a record number ever recorded in a single month.

All of this comes with a cost, which has been estimated at about $3 billion which covers costs associated with housing for those who have crossed into the US. Of course, with an administration spending trillions of dollars like its candy, $3 billion is a drop in the bucket.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Biden’s border “control” policies, which should be named “Operation Enduring Cluster F**K” continue to cause issues all along the southern border which will soon be felt across the USA. For more on our porous southern border, we invite you to:

DIG DEEPER

WASHINGTON, DC – The Biden administration is asking federal employees to pause their normal duties to take paid leave to assist with the processing and caring for an increasing number of unaccompanied minors arriving at the southern border.

Employees who volunteer will serve a fourth-month detail with the Health and Human Services Department’s Office of Refugee Resettlement, according to a memorandum sent out March 25 by Kathleen McGettigan, Acting Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). The memo reads:

“The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is partnering with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), to support the Administration’s urgent efforts to care for and place Unaccompanied Children who have entered the United States via the southern border.

“HHS is seeking interested candidates to serve up to a 120-day voluntary deployment detail as part of the HHS, Administration for Children and Families (ACF), Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), Unaccompanied Children (UC) Program.

OPM and HHS are calling upon our Federal Agency family of exceptional public servants to lend support to this humanitarian effort through this detail opportunity.”

The Biden administration has refused to call the situation at the border a crisis, but the numbers are making that refusal difficult to continue. In March, border agents encountered nearly 19,000 children at the border, the largest number ever recorded in a single month. The flow of migrant children is expected to continue to grow in the coming weeks.

The federal government has more than 20,000 children in detention facilities. Government projects show there could be more than 35,000 migrant children to care for by June.

This week, the administration reportedly sent emails directly to federal employees asking them to volunteer for paid leave to help care for the unaccompanied minors. The emails were sent to employees at agencies including the Department of Homeland Security and NASA, according to a report by The New York Times.

In the March memo, the administration asked agency supervisors to allow staff to volunteer for the four-month detail, and that each agency would be reimbursed for the expense:

“We are requesting that agencies support this effort by encouraging supervisors to allow interested staff to volunteer for the details.

“We continue to be inspired by the spirit of volunteerism and dedication to public service demonstrated by all those across the federal government who have supported many response efforts in the past.”

President Biden has already deployed the Federal Emergency Management Agency to the border to assist with the growing number of arrivals, but HHS still requires additional staffing. A FEMA spokesman said the agency is doing what it can to support the inflow of minors:

“FEMA is supporting the Department of Health and Human Services’ response to the arrival of unaccompanied children at the southwest border. FEMA is actively engaged with HHS to quickly expand capacity for safe and appropriate shelter, and to provide food, water and basic medical care.”

Despite the administration’s refusal to declare the situation at the border a crisis, Rep. John Katko (R-NY), the top Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, used the FEMA deployment as an opportunity to call out the administration:

“If FEMA is involved, it’s a disaster by definition. The secretary is tasking FEMA to help on the southwest border, it further demonstrates the severity of the situation.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity
Media blackout? DHS official says they’ve been ordered not to speak with media about border crisis

March 18, 2021

 

TEXAS – According to a recent report from Breitbart News, a senior-level law enforcement source in the Department of Homeland Security  allegedly told the outlet that officials outside of the White House Press Office and DHS Public Affairs “have been advised not to speak on immigration issues at the border.”

It’s with little debate at this point that there are issues ongoing at the southern border – namely concerning influxes of migrants crossing into the country unlawfully in the midst of the pandemic, and perceived lax approaches to immigration with the new administration. 

And now, according to Breitbart, gathering insight into the ongoing debacle at the southern border may be harder to access moving forward. 

From what the report alleges, an “official with knowledge of the restrictions” spoke to Breitbart under the veil of anonymity, allegedly saying the following: 

“We have been advised not to speak on immigration issues at the border and to rely on DHS’s Office of Public Affairs and the White House Press Office to handle messaging.”

There’s reportedly no set time for when these alleged orders regarding media relations expires. 

Immigration-related issues has been a topic lately that has managed to gain attention from both aisles of the political spectrum. 

Democratic Representative Henry Cuellar from Texas recently made an appearance on Fox News about immigration concerns transpiring at the southern border: 

“I can tell you this, those numbers of people that are being released, they’re purposely withholding that information.”

“I now know that they’re bringing people from McAllen over to Laredo, processing them in Laredo, and they’re going to release them in my community.”

“I’ve seen this before, don’t let the local communities know what you’re doing, where they’re starting to bring people in from the valley, process them in Laredo, release them at a bus station. And, again, I’ve seen this before in the past.”

A media blackout wouldn’t be terribly surprising if it were indeed ordered by higher-ups within the DHS.

On March 6th, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Domestic Policy Council Director Susan Rice reportedly visited a handful of cities in Texas to get a first-hand look at what’s ongoing at the southern border.

However, members of the press were reportedly barred access to the Border Patrol stations and the HHS unaccompanied children’s detention facility where the delegation had visited on March 6th. 

Sources reportedly informed Breitbart that said denial of access to the press during those visits were “to prevent the imagery of overcrowded facilities from circulating.” 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First

 

Share:
Related Posts