The Bronx Freedom Fund bills itself as a “nonprofit charitable bail fund that helps indigent New Yorkers charged with low-level offenses avoid the devastating consequences of pretrial detention.”
How admirable that sounds.
On November 4, accused child molester Luis Olivo, 63, was freed on $2,000 bail posted by the non-profit group. According to the New York Post, Olivo had been arrested on Oct. 19 over an incident where Olivo allegedly grabbed a 3-year-old boy’s head and shoved it into his crotch at a Woodhaven laundromat.
Olivo enticed the boy by sitting in front of a table spread with candy. According to the Post, Olivo was talking to the child and passing a balloon back and forth prior to grabbing the child’s head. Seems like a worthy candidate to be walking the streets.
As is typical for cases where someone is released who shouldn’t be, Olivo was arrested again this past Sunday for allegedly molesting an 8-year-old girl inside the Unique Shopping Mall in the Queens neighborhood of Jamaica.
A witness notified police that Olivo grabbed the child and put his hand under her skirt and groped her. Court documents also say that Olivo is accused of putting the girl’s hand on his crotch and trying to kiss her.
The Post contacted the mother of the boy that Olivo molested in the laundromat, and she broke down in tears.
“My baby is only three, maybe he’ll forget. But the 8-year-old will always remember what happened to her,” the child’s mother said.
New York City police officers were not happy as well and slammed the liberal group for their part in the second incident.
“When are groups like Freedom Fund going to start worrying about victims?” the detective told the Post. “Because of their actions, a little girl and her family have been victimized and traumatized unnecessarily.”
This is what we have come to expect from social justice warrior groups such as this.
Another police officer also slammed the group and others like it.
“These liberal groups have no idea how traumatic sex crimes are to the victims, especially young children.” They talk about giving criminals second chances. Well, these two children won’t get a second chance.”
A perp allegedly sexually abused a 3 y/o boy. A judge sets bail, and @BronxFreedom paid it. After he was free by the criminal advocates, Luis Olivo was then arrested for allegedly groping 8 y/o girl. This is a disgrace.https://t.co/SFRXa7jNXr
— NYC PBA (@NYCPBA) December 5, 2019
This incident is a familiar method of operation for the Bronx Freedom Fund. There is a history of them bailing out criminals, only to have them re-offend. The group paid a $1,000 bail for Randy Santos, who was arrested for groping a 19-year-old woman. He was rearrested last month and charged with the murders of four people.
Santos beat four homeless men to death as they slept on the streets in New York City. The murders occurred in the Chinatown neighborhood in Lower Manhattan in three different locations. A fifth man suffered head trauma and was hospitalized in critical condition.
In yet another case in 2018, they paid bail for Lynneke Burris, who was re-arrested a week later and charged with raping a 23-year-old teacher. Burris, who had a lengthy criminal record, including several for violent muggings. In April of 2018, he followed the high school English teacher into the elevator of her apartment building, where he choked her until she passed out.
He then dragged her into a stairwell. After she regained consciousness, he told her to remove her clothing and he sexually assaulted her.
Under a plea deal, Burris avoided a 25-year prison sentence, however, was sentenced to 18 years in prison and 20 years of supervised release.
Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans? It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice. Check it out today.
Of course, the Bronx Freedom Fund refused to respond to a request for comment by the New York Post.
As we have been reporting, the New York state legislature passed new criminal justice guidelines that take effect on January 1. Under the new bail guidelines, crimes such as those committed by Olivo, Burris, and Santos, where the BFF put up the bail for “low-level offenses”, will now have suspects released on appearance tickets, which are basically the same as traffic citations.
These laws are supposed to make New York “safer.” However, as the above three cases show, safer for the criminals isn’t safer for innocent people.
Police and other law enforcement entities are outraged by the “reform” that’s sweeping through New York City’s criminal justice system.
The state of New York recently passed criminal justice reforms that are slated to take effect on January 1, 2020. Among the reforms passed, one would remove bail requirements for all but serious offenses, replacing them with appearance tickets akin to a traffic violation citation. The law will also change the discovery phase of any arrests and prosecutions.
However, law enforcement officials throughout the state have expressed serious concerns over the law and its subsequent effect on law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve.
According to WHAM-13 in New York, at a meeting of law enforcement officials in the Rochester area, Monroe County District Attorney Perry Duckles expressed his concerns.
“The 2019 criminal justice reforms will significantly alter the procedural landscape of prosecutors’ offices, impact the fiscal operations of county and alter law enforcement practices at every level,” he said.
Numerous law enforcement leaders at the meeting called for the implementation date to be pushed back until all stakeholders have input on the changes. One of the complaints cited by law enforcement officials was that they had no input whatsoever into the law.
“Sheriffs and police chiefs would have gladly worked with our legislature and our governor to develop common sense, humane reform regarding bail,” Wayne County Sheriff Barry Virts stated.
He said they were never given a voice.
“But we were never given the opportunity or chance. The result is a devastating tip of the scales in favor of defendants accused of incredibly serious crimes.”
Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary said that law enforcement personnel were not asking to throw the entire law “out the window.” Rather:
“What is being suggested is to have applicable dialogue concerning portions of the legislation that will impact New York’s criminal justice system.”
Others stated their belief that the law places inmates at risk, especially those fighting opioid addictions. Monroe County Undersheriff Korey Brown said:
“We are losing our ability to take someone from the thralls of addiction and provide a safe place and opportunity for recovery when they’re not ready.”
Some, including Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul downplayed concerns.
“We want people who should be kept behind bars kept behind bars, and they will be. But we’re talking about the individuals, two individuals accused of the same crime—one’s rich, one’s poor. One goes back to school, one goes back to college—the other one sits in jail unable to be productive. That’s the unfairness we’re trying to fight.”
However some legislators, such as Senator Pam Helming are concerned.
“I’ve read social media posts, I’ve read editorials in newspapers who believe the new reforms are not that bad, because they only apply to non-serious crimes,” she said.
She issued a challenge.
“I challenge anyone who has this view to look at this list of crimes, to read the legislation and tell me that you believe manslaughter, aggravated vehicular homicide and rape in the third degree are minor offenses.
Tell me, how is promoting obscene sexual performances by a child a minor offense? How is that?
How about arson in the third and fourth degrees, selling controlled substances near our schools? Making terrorist threats or committing burglary and robbery in the second degree?”
She argued that the reforms were rushed through the State Legislature without the input of law enforcement agencies. Waterloo Police Chief Jason Godley argued the new laws would cause harm to crime victims.
“This is a reform—we use that term loosely here today, reform—we use this as a way to shift everything from the victims we’ve tried to protect over the years to the criminals. It’s not fair to the victims.”
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!