New Jersey – A Roselle Park police officer tragically took his own life on Sunday after he was involved in a vehicle wreck, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

New Jersey 101.5 reported that the 39-year-old officer, who was identified as Edward Nortrup, fatally shot himself in the head while emergency crews rushed to try and pull him from the wreckage. 

According to those reports, the officer appeared to have lost control of his vehicle on Broad Street in Matawan just after 12 p.m. Sunday. The officer’s vehicle reportedly struck two cars, then rolled the vehicle partially over as he came to a stop. 

NJ officer shoots himself as emergency crews try to free him from car wreck


Monmouth County prosecutor’s office spokesman Chris Swendeman said that as emergency crews left the side of the Nortrup’s vehicle in order to get equipment to spring him from the wreckage, that’s when they heard a gunshot. 

“As first responders left the vehicle to get equipment to help with the extraction, the driver located a firearm and fatally shot himself,” Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Spokesman Chris Swendeman said.

Swendeman did not confirm whether or not the officer used his service weapon to take his own life. 

No other details about the circumstances of the crash have been released as of this time. 

In an email to NJ 101.5, Roselle Park Chief of Police Daniel J. McCaffery said, “We are grieving as a department for the loss of our officer.”

New Jersey State Policemen’s Benevolent Association president Parick Colligan said that learning of an officer’s suicide is one of the worst calls to get, knowing that it could have possibly been prevented. 

“I always feel like this is preventable. It’s not like a line-of-duty of death,” Colligan said. “There’s always danger out there but these are the deaths that are hard because somehow we missed this guy and didn’t get him help.”

According to, the officer was a 13-year veteran of the department. Nortrup served as a detective and was additionally a member of the Union County Emergency Response Team. 

It is with tremendous sadness that Police Chief Daniel J. McCaffery announces the passing of Roselle Park Police Officer…

Posted by Roselle Park Police on Monday, January 20, 2020


According to reports, New Jersey has now lost 37 officers to suicide since 2016. 

Officers in New Jersey are now mandated to complete a new training called the New Jersey Resiliency Program for Law Enforcement by 2021. 

“This is training that is necessary with the epidemic of law enforcement suicides nationwide,” McCaffery said. “We welcome any training that allows out officers to cope with the stresses of our jobs as best that we can.”

Early Sunday afternoon, we shared with you the developing story out of Honolulu, Hawaii, where multiple officers were shot.  We’ve received confirmation that two officers were in fact killed.

Here is the latest on that situation.

The two officers who were killed today have been identified as Tiffany-Victoria Enriquez and Kaulike Kalama, each of whom had less than 10 years each on the force, Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard said at a news conference.

Chief Ballard, choking back tears, offered condolences to their families.

“The HPD ohana (Hawaiian term meaning family) grieves along with you and shares your loss,” she said. “On behalf of the men and women of the Honolulu Police Department, we extend our deepest condolences,” she said. “I knew each one of them very personally.”

The officers were shot by Jaroslav “Jerry” Hanel, 69, outside the Hibiscus Drive address after responding to a woman’s call for help.

As of the time of this report, she also said that Hanel and two females are “unaccounted for” after the massive fire that destroyed seven homes and damaged at least five. Hanel is presumed dead inside the home.

The two females were known to be residents of the Hibiscus Drive home where today’s ordeal began.

While Ballard acknowledged that it’s likely the suspected died in the fire, there is still an active search for him.

Two officers ambushed, murdered responding to call to help woman. One is a young mother of three.

Two officers ambushed, murdered responding to call to help woman. One is a young mother of three.


Enriquez, a 7-year HPD veteran, was the mother of three children. Kalama is a 9-year HPD veteran.

The woman who made the initial call, Lois Cain, was taken to the hospital with stab wounds to her leg, Ballard said.

She said that Hanel did not have any gun permits.

According to court documents, Hanel has a history of erratic behavior and making false 911 reports.  His attorney spoke to media outlets and said he had delusions that he was being tracked by the FBI.

According to neighbors, Cain, 77, was the landlord of the property and was trying to evict Hanel, when he attacked her.   Apparently she had delivered eviction papers to him on Friday, but we’re told he refused to sign them.

A passer-by saw Cain covered in blood and called 911.

As officers arrived, Hanel opened fire on them in the driveway.

Witnesses told local media outlets that they saw the injured officers being dragged out into the street, and that rescuers were seen performing CPR on an officer right after the shooting.

They told reporters that they believed at least one other person on the property was stabbed, although authorities did not immediately have information on the two stabbing victims.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and vets called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.

Colorado woman uses red flag law against officer who shot and killed her knife-wielding son


After ambushing the officers, the suspect set fire to the home he was in.  That fire spread quickly to several nearby properties while firefighters tried to battle the flames during the active police investigation.

Desperate homeowners were seen using garden hoses to try to put out the flames nearing their homes.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said the entire state was mourning the death of two Honolulu officers killed in the line of duty on Sunday.

“As we express our condolences to their families, friends and colleagues, let us also come together to help and support those who have been forever changed by this tragedy,” he tweeted earlier.

City Council Member Kymberly Marcos Pine offered prayers for the families of “the Honolulu Police Department officers who were killed and all who were injured during the Diamond Head incident today” via Facebook. post on Facebook.

“It is terribly upsetting to see the recent increase in crime, and we grieve with HPD and other first responders who put their lives on the line to keep us safe,” she wrote.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell also offered his condolences for the families and friends of the two officers who were shot.

We’re told the American Red Cross is helping the affected families.  They set up an emergency shelter for the victims at Waikiki Elementary, which was housing nine people as of Sunday night.

Also on Sunday, we reported on the death of another one of our brothers.

“If I were to go into the fires of hell, I would follow him because I know he would bring me back.”


Sandy, Utah’s Police Chief William “Bill” O’Neal, 48-years-old, died last week after suffering what’s being called an “unfortunate medical event.”  O’Neal “subsequently died of natural causes.” 

A department spokesman said no further details would be released until the medical examiner’s report is received.

O’Neal had been with the Department since 1996 and served as Chief since July 2018.

NJ officer shoots himself as emergency crews try to free him from car wreck

Sandy Police Chief William “Bill” O’Neal


You may remember him from his involvement in the 2003 rescuing of then-14-year-old Elizabeth Smart of Salt Lake City, who had been kidnapped from her bedroom while her sister pretended to sleep.  As a reminder, Elizabeth was taken by Wanda Barzee and Brian David Mitchell, who were said to be married.  Apparently, the couple was polygamist because Mitchell “performed a ceremony” to marry Elizabeth as well, and raped her daily for the remainder of her capture. 

Elizabeth was starved, tethered to a tree, force fed her drugs and alcohol, and pushed his “religion” on her, calling himself a prophet named Immanuel. 

After the incident, O’Neal told reporters, “Being able to rescue her was a monumental thing in our careers.  When she was talking, I could see her teeth and from the fliers and the smile, I recognized her teeth. I know that sounds strange and that’s when it hit me. Wow, this is Elizabeth Smart.”

Elizabeth is now a motivational speaker, among other things, and released the following statement upon notification of O’Neal’s death: 

“I am profoundly grateful for the courage and bravery of the law enforcement officers, especially Chief Bill O’Neal, who responded to the call and helped rescue me almost 17 years ago.  Chief O’Neal was a leader who provided tremendous service to our community for nearly 25 years. I express my deepest condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.”

Sandy Police Sergeant Jason Nielsen said of O’Neal, “The first moment I met him he was always just friendly, outgoing, very loud and vociferous. Just a great character. He was kind of larger-than-life, actually. An icon of the city, I would say. Especially with the police department.

“It’s crazy how much of an impact and an influence he had on each individual officer and citizen that he encountered.”

Nielsen continued, “When I first found out the news, I was in disbelief … he was young, it was completely unexpected and tragic. It’s a tremendous loss we’re going to feel for a long time.  He was strong. He was a big guy.”

Even Sandy Mayor Kurt Bradburn shared kind recollections of the Chief.  He said, “From working as a lifeguard at Alta Canyon Recreation Center in high school to serving and leading almost every department at Sandy Police, his impact on the community cannot be measured. 


“Bill O’Neal embodied what it means to protect and serve. Sandy residents have enjoyed a safe community over the years due in large part to his efforts and his influence.”

On O’Neal’s Facebook page, Mayor Bradburn wrote, “It was an absolute honor to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with this man through many ups and downs the past few years. I will miss him greatly. Till we meet again Chief … rest easy and thank you.”

Among many other accolades and awards, Chief O’Neal received the Sandy Police Medal of Valor.

Flags flew at half-staff outside City Hall following O’Neal’s death, and American flags lined the police department parking lot.

Sgt Nielsen said the officers of the Sandy Police Department were pressing on despite their sadness.  

“We’ve got a job to do,” he said, “and we can’t just quit, we can’t just take the day off. We have to keep doing our jobs. And that’s exactly what we’re doing today and we’re pushing forward and doing exactly what he’d want us to do.”

Nielsen added, “If I were to go into the fires of hell, I would follow him because I know he would bring me back.  You don’t see cops cry a lot, but there were a lot of tears today.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First