Police: Newark detective suffered in pain until she realized she had been shot like her partner


NEWARK, NJ – Two Newark police detectives were involved in a shooting with an armed suspect on December 14th.

One of the detectives was rushed to the hospital after being shot while the second suffered in pain for days, not realizing she had bullet fragments lodged in her leg.

Newark Police Detectives Quadiryyah Marshall and Nicholas Edert immediately came under fire when they made contact with an unidentified suspect.

The contact left Edert with a gunshot wound to his leg and Marshall with bullet fragments also in her leg. However, Marshall only realized she had pain in her leg and did not realize she suffered any injuries as a result of the shooting.

Marshall reportedly dealt with the pain in her leg for several days until she finally decided to seek medical treatment at University Hospital.

It was there that she learned that the pain she was feeling in her leg was the result of bullet fragments allegedly fired by the unidentified gunman.

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka and Public Safety Director Brian O’Hara spoke about the incident and the injuries received by both officers during their heroic actions. Baraka said:

“I am grateful to learn that the lives of two Newark Police Detectives were spared after they were both shot this week. Detective Marshall, Detective Edert, and the other officers involved in the incident that resulted in the shootings are true heroes and champions of public safety in the City of Newark.”

O’Hara also weighed in on the incident:

“Not only did Detective Marshall display incredible bravery by not backing down when an armed suspect pulled out a gun and started shooting at her and other officers, she also displayed remarkable strength by enduring days of suffering with a bullet fragment in her leg.

“She is being treated for her injuries, which are more severe than she realized. The people of Newark are incredibly blessed to have men and women like these who are willing to put their lives on the line to ensure their safety.”

On the 14th, both detectives were in the area of 14th Avenue and 14th Street around 8:30 pm when they were approached by members of the community about a male who was acting suspiciously.

When the detectives made contact with the male, he immediately pulled a firearm and began shooting at the officers. Shortly after the shooting occurred, Baraka said:

“They [detectives] approached an individual who obviously was suspicious and asked him a few questions. Before the conversation ended, the gentleman pulled out a gun and began firing without provocation, and struck one of the officers…By the grace of God, he’s doing well.”

Shortly after the shooting, the Newark Police Department reported that they were able to take the suspect into custody without further incident. According to Baraka, none of the officers returned fire.

Edert was transported to the University Hospital and was released on December 15th with hundreds of officers, New York State Troopers, and Newark Fire Fighters standing by to greet and wish him well.

When Edert was released, O’Hara said:

“Last night could have very easily ended in some serious tragedy with multiple officers facing death, but thanks to the heroism of our police officers, Officer Edert will spend Christmas at home with his family like he’s supposed to.”

The Newark Police Department has not announced any specific charges against the suspect in the case, however, they did state that a gun was recovered at the scene.

It is likely the suspect has or will be charged with the attempted murder of a police officer along with other felony charges.

Two men arrested and charged with the attempted murder of a Chicago cop after shooting him during a traffic stop

Officer ambushed and shot, narrowly survives horrific attack – now the suspect has been captured

NORTH AUGUSTA, GA – An officer who was shot while investigating a suspicious incident is recovering and the police have been able to identify at least one of the people involved.


The suspect involved in shooting and injuring the 15 year veteran has been identified as Thomas Michael Airington, who is currently being held in the Aiken County Jail.

The officer, Lieutenant Aaron Fittery, thankfully was not seriously injured in the shooting and has already been released from the hospital.

According to the North August Director of Public Safety, John Thomas, the incident occurred on December 9th before 5 pm when officers were dispatched to a suspicious incident involving a Dodge Ram that had four occupants.

As officers arrived on the scene, they saw the alleged Ram that was involved driving away on Georgia Avenue.

Officers attempted to stop the vehicle which fled from the officers. As the vehicle fled, the Ram struck another vehicle in the area of Martintown Road and Georgia Avenue, Thomas said:

“The suspect continues down Georgia Avenue and exits the truck, and as you have seen and heard from the previous reports, shots were fired. So at that point, he [suspect] opens fire on our officers.”


After Fittery had been shot, wounded in the leg, Thomas reported that a good Samaritan stopped to check on him. Thomas noted:

“Aaron [Fittery] said, ‘I have been shot, I need some help. Can you get me to the hospital?’ She stopped and took him to the hospital very quickly.”

The woman has not been identified but the agency would like to find her to thank and commend her for her efforts at helping a wounded officer.

Thomas noted that some of the officers involved in the incident did return fire but did so with restraint. He said:

“I think you have to understand the training and restraint during that time of day. We have to look beyond the sights of a gun, we have to look at what’s in our view, what’s in our vision, what kind of crossfire we’re going to get into.

So, kudos to our department and the training that we go through to ensure that the public is safe. I’m proud of the restraint that we showed during a busy time of the day, which is obviously a great thing for our citizens.”

Airington, was arrested by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and charged him with attempted murder of a police officer and possession of marijuana. Airington is apparently no stranger to the law as he was already out on a $50,615 bond for multiple offenses from August of this year.


Airington’s charges in August were possession of a stolen gun, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, trafficking in methamphetamine and cocaine, possession of narcotics and possession of marijuana.

Lieutenant Tim Thornton from the North Augusta Police Department also reported that Airington had the interest of the US Marshals Service, probably because he had already violated the terms of his bond.

Thomas noted that the community stepped up to ensure that the officers were okay and offered to help in any way that they could as the officer-involved shooting investigation unfolded. Thomas said:

“The local businesses brought us water and just made sure that we were OK.”


Thomas spoke about the violent situation and wanted to ensure citizens that these types of incidents happen rarely in the city. He said:

“I just want to assure the public that this doesn’t happen in North Augusta a lot. I’m telling you, this is something that is not common. We don’t know how this happened so quickly, but it did.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts