New York police sergeant repeatedly stabbed in face and head during unprovoked attack


DOBBS FERRY, NY – A Dobbs Ferry Police Sergeant was reportedly stabbed and slashed in the face and head during what was described as an unprovoked attack during the afternoon of May 20th.

Officials say the incident transpired near Beacon Hill Drive and Keller Lane just after 2:00 p.m. on May 20th.

The police sergeant was reportedly trying to help a Con Edison crew with traffic control in the area when he was suddenly attacked.

Investigators say that the suspect approached the police sergeant from the rear and started to slash and stab him in the face and head with what was described as a six-inch knife.

The suspect reportedly fled the scene on foot after the attack, which some members of the Con Edison crew started to pursue the suspect.

Robert Kluge, who was apparently oblivious to the preceding attack at the time, said he’d seen the Con Edison crew pursuing the assailant following the incident:

“I thought that was a little strange. But he wasn’t running towards me, so I didn’t pay too much attention. He ran by me. About 30 seconds later, two construction workers were running, chasing him. They asked me where he went and I said, ‘That way.’”

The suspect, later identified as 36-year-old Matthew Burke, was taken into custody and has since been charged with attempted murder of a police officer, attempted murder, attempted aggravated assault upon a police officer, and criminal possession of a weapon.

The police sergeant was reportedly transported to the Westchester Medical Center having suffered several severe punctures and lacerations. Even though the injured police sergeant lost a substantial amount of blood during the attack, officials say that he is expected to survive.

Reports note that the unidentified police sergeant has since been released from the hospital.

Both the Dobbs Ferry Police Department and the Westchester County Police Department are leading the investigation into the incident.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Toda as we continue to gather updates on this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Earlier in May, we at Law Enforcement Today reported on another incident involving an unprovoked attack on a law enforcement officer – this time happening in Oklahoma. 

Here’s that previous report. 


OKLAHOMA CITY, OK– On Tuesday, May 3rd, officials released body-camera footage showing the horrifying moment when a man repeatedly rammed a police officer’s vehicle and then tried to shoot the officer while he was trapped inside the vehicle.

According to reports, the incident occurred around 2:30 a.m. on May 1st as Oklahoma City Police Officer Samuel was driving through south on Martin Luther King Boulevard on his way to a disturbance call. 

Video from traffic cameras show another vehicle with the driver since identified as 37-year-old Quinton Pace, slamming his car into Officer Flower’s vehicle multiple times. Flowers can be heard telling dispatch:

“I gotta guy that just tried to run into my car. He’s coming up behind me now. He’s coming back at me again now. Yeah, he just hit my car. He’s taking off northbound again. Looks like he’s going to whip around again.”

Authorities said that both vehicles were disabled at Northeast 52nd Street when Pace crashed into the officer again. 

After the collision, Flowers was trapped inside his vehicle. Flowers told the dispatcher:

“I’m hit. I’m trapped in the vehicle.”

Pace reportedly got out of his vehicle with a gun and began firing at Flowers while he was still trapped inside his vehicle.

Authorities said that Flowers returned fire through his patrol car’s windshield and driver’s side window, striking Pace and stopping his violent actions. Oklahoma City Police Captain Dan Steward said:

“Officer Flowers fired his rifle through the patrol car’s windshield and driver’s side window, striking Mr. Pace and stopping his actions.”

Another officer who responded to the scene was able to successfully place Pace in custody. Both the officer and gunman were transported to the hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries. 

Flowers was not shot, but had sustained injuries during the wreck. He said in the body-cam video:

“I got some minor cuts, but I think I’m okay.”

Pace was arrested and charged with one count of shooting with the intent to kill and use of a firearm while committing a felony. He was booked into the Oklahoma County Detention Center. 

This is an active investigation and at the time of this writing, authorities have no idea what motivated Pace to attack Officer Flowers. Flowers has been working for the Oklahoma City Police Department for two and a half years.

In a separate incident that took place in Denver, Colorado, a suspect in the recent shooting of a Denver police officer has been taken into custody. During an advisement hearing on Monday, May 10th, the suspect, 40-year-old Pedro Juan Gallegos had his bond set $100,000, cash only. 

Gallegos is facing charges of attempted murder, possession of a weapon by a previous offender, and criminal trespassing. The officer, whose name has not been released, was shot in the leg after responding to a home near Alcott Street and W. 42nd Avenue.

Officers were responding to the home about a report of a person on a porch who was not supposed to be there. The officer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center in critical condition. On the afternoon of May 9th, the officer was out of surgery and in stable condition.

Gallegos’ attorney argued that Gallegos’ past arrests did not involve “violent” incidents and that he had a job lined up and a place to stay with family. Gallegos added that he would “comply with everything” if given a chance to post bond. 

However, Judge Tanya Wheeler was firm in her conviction and called the allegations “incredibly aggravated circumstances” and moved forward with opting for the bond amount requested by the prosecutors. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts