Nevada police take fire from active shooter – deputies warn everyone to stay in their homes


PAHRUMP, NV — Police from the Nye County Sheriff’s Office responded to an active shooter situation on the southwest side of Pahrump just outside of Las Vegas Thursday evening. The shooter had been firing at deputies.

The incident started at around 7:45 PM on Dec. 3 at 3200 East Kings Way. According to the sheriff’s office, deputies responded to a call from that address. It is not yet clear if the shooter was at this particular residence.

The gunman had reportedly barricaded himself inside a house. Deputies used flashbangs to gain entry to the house and take the suspect into custody.

The suspect informed police that there was another person inside the residence, but upon further investigation, this information was proved false.

Law enforcement has now set up a perimeter and begun clearing the area.

During the incident, the Nye County Sheriff’s Office issued a tweet, warning citizens to stay away:

“Deputies are taking rounds overhead. This is an active shooter situation and all residents are advised to avoid the area and stay in your houses.”

Various other online outlets put out tweets covering the incident as it was ongoing.

Live radio traffic in the area covered the situation as it was ongoing. Prior to police entry, they reported that responding deputies had been given permission to deploy flashbangs in order to enter the home where the gunman was barricaded.

No casualties or injuries related to the responding officers have been reported. The suspect was not injured upon being taken into custody. The suspect has not yet been identified, according to various news sources.

The Nye County Sheriff’s Office made a post on their local alert forum following the incident:

“Suspect arrested all officers safe. The suspect in the active shooter on Kings Way is in custody. No officers were shot. No officers fired their weapon. The suspect is not injured. We will do a more detailed release tomorrow.

Many thanks to Nevada Highway Patrol, Nevada Parole and Probation, the US Marshall’s Office for sending us resources. Thanks to LVMPD and Nevada Division of Investigations for their offer of support.

Thanks to Pahrump Valley Fire and Rescue for being on standby throughout.”

The Nye County Sheriff’s Office also posted several photos depicting the aftermath of the incident.

Nevada police take fire from active shooter - deputies warn everyone to stay in their homes
Credit: Nye County Sheriff’s Office alerts
Nevada police take fire from active shooter - deputies warn everyone to stay in their homes
Credit: Nye County Sheriff’s Office alerts

This is a developing story. Please follow Law Enforcement Today to receive updates as we gather updates in this investigation.

In the meantime in St. Louis, an officer was reportedly shot in the neck twenty minutes after midnight on December 3rd nearby the city’s downtown area. 

According to Chief John Hayden from the department, the shooting incident took place along the 1600 block of North Broadway, which runs south of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.

Officers at the time were responding to what was described as a disturbance call in the area, which Chief Hayden explained is one of the most common calls officers respond to: 

“Officers come to work – just trying to do their jobs. The disturbance call is the most common call that we can get. Certainly in a disturbance call, it is unknown what will happen.” 

And that “unknown” element certainly took place, when police say officers noticed a muzzle flash emanating from the area where they’d just responded to.

When said muzzle flash went off, Chief Hayden said a 32-year-old officer who has been with the department for nearly two years was hit with “a projectile” from a suspect shotgun blast. 

From what Chief Hayden said when detailing the incident, he referred to this latest incident has being part of a larger pattern where officers are “under assault” now more than ever: 

“Our officers have been under assault. There is no other way to put it. Our officers have been trying to do their jobs on several instances this summer, and this is the 10th officer to be struck by gunfire. And it’s really disturbing that officer’s can’t do their job without coming under gunfire.”

“I’ve been with the department for 34 years. [There] has never been a time when officers are just going on call – they haven’t confronted anybody – and the sentiment is that an officer can be shot at.”

Despite the officer having been struck in the neck by said gunfire, it was reported that the sustained injuries are non-life-threatening. The officer was reportedly transferred to the Barnes Jewish Hospital for treatment. 

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson took to Twitter to remark on the shooting, calling the incident “very disturbing”: 

“Last night, a young officer was shot while responding to a disturbance call. I am thankful he will be ok. He is the 10th [SLMPD] officer shot in the line of duty since June – all while just doing their job. Very disturbing. Thank you to all our officers!”

Police have yet to take anyone into custody regarding the shooting, nor has there been any indication yet that a person of interest has been identified. Investigators are reportedly still interviewing witnesses as of the morning of December 3rd. 

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather updates on this case as they develop. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In an update to a report on an officer shot in the face in Charleston, West Virginia, officials have identified the officer injured and afforded details on the status of her injuries. 

Here are the updates on that report. 


CHARLESTON, WV – According to reports, a Charleston Police officer was shot in the face on the afternoon of December 1st. 

While details on the incident are limited at this time, here’s what we know thus far. 

Officials say the shooting transpired within the 200 block of Garrison Ave in Charleston, which the suspect had initially fled the scene after the shooting in a Red Dodge Durango heading toward I-77 minutes before 3:00 p.m. on December 1st. 

The shooting was confirmed with Bryan Humphries, a spokesperson with the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office.

According to preliminary reports, the officer – who has been identified as Officer Cassie Johnson – was shot in the face during the incident by the suspect. 

Officials also say that the suspect was also shot, but apparently non-fatally, and is currently in custody.

In a joint statement coming from Charleston Police Chief of Police Tyke Hunt and Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin, the following was conveyed:

“This afternoon, a Charleston Police Officer was shot while in the line of duty, The officer has been transported to the hospital and is in surgery at this time.”

“We ask all Charleston residents to keep our officer and the entire Charleston Police Department in their thoughts and prayers. We will provide more information as it is available.”

Both the suspect and the officer are currently being treated at a local hospital for the sustained gunshot wounds. The CPD officer was initially only identified as being a female officer and the suspected was said to be male. 

With the identity of the officer having been revealed, officials also say that Officer Johnson is currently in grave condition following the shooting. 

Police Chief Tyke Hunt shared recently shared an update of Officer Johnson’s current status:

“Officer Johnson was struck in what would normally be a fatal wound, but in the true fighting spirit of the Charleston Police Department and those who are truly called to serve, she is a fighter.”

“She has a pulse and she’s not out of the woods, but she is going to be recovering. And we pray that she makes a full recovery.”

City Mayor Amy Shuler also spoke during the status update, asking for prayers for both Officer Johnson and her loved ones: 

“So not only do we need your prayers tonight for Cassie, but we need prayers tonight for her mother Cheryl, her sister Chelsea, but also to our first responders who make these calls every single day.”

As for the reasoning for the officer making contact with the suspect, officials have only referred to the matter as the officer having responded to some sort of “parking complaint”. 

Police have still yet to reveal the identity of the suspect allegedly involved in the shooting at this time.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts