According to The Daily Caller, NBC News spent weeks documenting its own science contributor’s battle with COVID-19. Dr. Joseph Fair, a virologist, believed he had the virus and appeared on air multiple times to discuss his struggle with the illness in May and in June. On Tuesday, Dr. Fair admitted that he actually tested NEGATIVE for the virus.
Dr. Fair states that he tested negative for COVID-19 numerous times, but had originally believed he had it regardless. Fair also tested negative upon taking an antibody test. On Tuesday, Fair tweeted:
“My undiagnosed/suspected COVID illness from nearly 2 months ago remains an undiagnosed mystery as a recent antibody test was negative. I have myriad COVID symptoms, was hospitalized in a COVID ward, and treated for COVID-related co-morbidities, despite testing negative by nasal swab.”
My undiagnosed/suspected COVID illness from nearly 2 months ago remains an undiagnosed mystery as a recent antibody test was negative. I had myriad COVID symptoms, was hospitalized in a COVID ward & treated for COVID-related co-morbidities, despite testing negative by nasal swab.
— Dr. Joseph Fair (@curefinder) July 7, 2020
Back on May 14th, Fair suggested during an interview on The Today Show that he may have gotten the virus through his eye during a packed flight he took two weeks earlier.
According to the Washington Free Bacon, the interview was done while he was in a New Orleans hospital bed and Fair claimed that he contracted COVID-19 despite taking precautions like wearing a mask and gloves.
During the interview, the host, Hoda Kotb said that Fair received four negative tests for the virus, but still stated, “clearly you have it.” Fellow host Craig Melvin called Fair’s false negative tests “scary” and co-host Savannah Guthrie called it a “cautionary tale.”
Fair speculated his tests came back negative because he delayed going to the hospital for more than a week when he first felt ill and he said his doctors felt he must have the virus. He said in a statement:
“I was a very healthy person. I exercise five to six days a week. If it can take me down, it can take anybody down.”
Fair was also featured that say night, May 14th, on NBC Nightly News, where he encouraged citizens to wear protective eyewear in addition to a face-mask. Four days later, on May 18th, Fair appeared on Deadline: White House along with a chyron reading, “Breaking News: NBC News Contributor Updates on his Battle with COVID-19.” Fair said:
“He felt increasingly sick from flu-like symptoms and eventually called an ambulance. His breathing grew so constricted that he had a panic attack.”
On June 14th, Fair appeared on Meet the Press to discuss his “recovery” where he claimed:
“It was the worst I’ve ever felt. I did not expect if I got COVID-19 that I would get that ill.”
TODAY on #MTP: NBC News Science contributor and virologist, Joseph Fair says his experience with COVID-19 was the “worst I’ve ever felt.” @Curefinder: “I was shocked at how severe my illness got without having those underlying conditions.” pic.twitter.com/WSs21LX2UF
— Meet the Press (@MeetThePress) June 15, 2020
According to Steve Krakauer’s “Fourth Watch” newsletter, NBC News originally told viewers about the negative tests, but abandoned that part of the narrative as the story on Fair continued.
Back on June 14th when Fair spoke with Chuck Todd on Meet the Press to discuss his journey and recovery from COVID-19, Todd as well as Fair, failed to tell the audience that on that same day, Fair had already tested negative a 5th time for the coronavirus test.
Since admitting that he does not nor has he ever had COVID-19, Fair has not responded to repeated requests for comment. Throughout the past month, NBC has also declined to comment.
Fair has been regularly appearing on NBC and MSNBC, but has not been on air since his tweet revealing the antibody test results this past Tuesday. So far, there have been no “on-air” corrections or online corrections. The Today show website wrote a brief story, where they now describe what Fair had as a “severe illness.”
“In the end, NBC’s viewers were left with two very alarming and false impressions. First, that an expert virologist can take every precaution but can still catch COVID-19 through his eyes. False.
Second, that tests can be so untrustworthy that you can have multiple negative tests and still have coronavirus, also false. Anti-science and truly damaging.”
Newsom orders another 8,000 prisoners released from prison as anarchy and violence spread across America (Op-ed)
This editorial is brought to you by a former Chief of Police and staff writer for Law Enforcement Today.
SACRAMENTO, CA.- In the midst of a crime wave, what do liberal governors do? Why of course, they release more criminals back onto the streets. In California, NPR is reporting that far-left Governor Gavin Newsom is planning to release an additional 8,000 prisoners this summer to help “control the spread” of the coronavirus in prison facilities.
The plan was announced after just over a third of inmates and staff at San Quentin State Prison tested positive for COVID-19.
According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, anyone eligible for release will be tested for the virus within seven days of their release from detention.
According to the department’s secretary the “actions are taken to provide for the health and safety of the incarcerated population and staff,” Ralph Diaz said in a statement on Friday.
“We aim to implement these decompression measures in a way that aligns both public health and public safety.”
Newsom said last Tuesday that the outbreak was a “deep area of focus and concern,” according to Breitbart News. San Quentin had over half of the coronavirus cases of the total throughout the state, which has a total prison population of approximately 113,000.
In the past two weeks, California has seen a rise of more than 860 cases, for a total caseload among inmates standing at 5,841 cases. It is reported that an additional 1,222 employees have been affected. Current caseloads are 2,286 active cases among the prison population with 719 active cases among Corrections staff. Thirty-one inmates have died from COVID-19.
NPR said that around half of the inmates could be released this month. The department is currently looking at prisoners who have less than 180 days left to serve on their bids. It is estimated that roughly 4,800 inmates could be eligible for release by the end of this month.
There are criteria that must be met in order for an inmate to be considered for release—they cannot be incarcerated relative to a domestic violence or other violent crime, and those subject to registration as sex offenders will also not be considered.
I spoke to Newsom's team to ensure that this inmate release prioritizes low risk, medically vulnerable inmates that are not serving sentences for serious, violent, domestic violence or sex crimes. This release is one of many steps to fix this broken system https://t.co/S80EKMPj77
— Assemblymember Marc Levine (@AsmMarcLevine) July 10, 2020
San Quentin had actually escaped the first two months of the pandemic with no COVID cases, however that number has spiked recently. The outbreak at San Quentin has been attributed to a transfer of more than 100 inmates from the California Institution for Men in Chino, which is another crowded institution that had already reported hundreds of COVID cases.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported that most of those inmates had not been adequately tested prior to being transferred to San Quentin.
Spokesmen for the department said that some inmates at both San Quentin and Chino would be now eligible for early release. They said that prisoners who meet its criteria, have a year or less remaining on their sentence and are incarcerated at “institutions that house large populations of high-risk patients” would be considered first.
INMATE RELEASE: The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation announced today that around 8,000 inmates will be released by the end of August to help combat the spread of COVID-19.https://t.co/PUBpEz7wOx
— KGET 17 News (@KGETnews) July 10, 2020
Folsom State Prison and five additional facilities are included in the program, with inmates who are 30 and older and meet eligibility requirements “immediately eligible for release,” the department said. Younger inmates will be subject to a case-by-case analysis.
The department said that it has already secured the release of over 10,000 inmates since mid-March when the coronavirus pandemic took hold in the U.S.
NBC Bay Area reported that a letter was sent to inmates on Thursday notifying them that eligible inmates would be receiving a sentence credit effective Aug. 1, with releases expected shortly afterward.
“This is absolutely critical for the health and safety of every Californian. Too many people are incarcerated for too long in facilities that spread poor health,” said Jay Jordan, executive director of Californians for Safety and Justice in a statement.
The decision to release inmates came just a few days after the prison system’s chief medical officer was replaced in response to criticism that transfers within the system helped exacerbate the outbreak of COVID in state facilities, CBS News said.
In a news conference earlier this past week, Newsom said that inmates from Chino “should not have been transferred” to San Quentin in late May.
Anne Irwin, director of a non-profit advocacy group Smart Justice California credited Newsom for the move which she said, “will protect the lives of people living and working inside prisons and in surrounding communities.”
“We applaud the Governor for working on two crucial fronts: getting the most vulnerable people out of harm’s way and stemming the spread of COVID-19 inside prisons and neighboring communities,” she said in a statement.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!