NEW YORK – The first photos of two Saudi Arabian sisters whose bodies were found duct-taped together near a New York City river were released Wednesday as authorities continue to investigate their mysterious deaths, reported Fox News.

New York City police released images of Tala Farea, 16, and Rotana Farea, 22, who were found dead on Oct. 24 near 68th Street and Riverside Park in Manhattan’s Upper West Side neighborhood. One fact that is noteworthy is their bodies were bound by tape and facing each other, and located on rocks near the Hudson River. As a result, authorities believe they may have washed ashore.

“While we continue the expansive investigation into the deaths of sisters Tala & Rotana Farea … Did you know them? Meet them? See them?” Dermot Shea, NYPD chief of detectives, tweeted on Wednesday.

Furthermore, police urged anyone who saw the sisters between Aug. 24 and Oct. 24 to come forward. This is the timeframe they were reported missing to when their bodies were discovered.

“We are looking at all clues in their past life,” Shea said on Tuesday.

The Farea sisters’ deaths have been enveloped in the unknown since last week. Their bodies, which had no obvious signs of trauma, were discovered about 225 miles away from Fairfax, Virginia, where they lived and vanished in August.

The sisters came to the U.S. from Saudi Arabia with their mother in 2015. Rotana Farea had been enrolled at George Mason University until the spring. Prior to their recent disappearance, Tala and Rotana Farea were reported missing in December 2017 when they left their family home and were placed in a shelter.

Other than this information, there are few pubic details regarding the sister’s history.

Saudi Arabian sisters

Sketches were initially released of the Saudi Arabian sisters who were found bound by duct tape in the Hudson River near New York City’s Upper West Side. (New York Police Department)

Their mother told detectives the day before the bodies were discovered, she received a call from an official at the Saudi Arabian Embassy, ordering the family to leave the U.S. because her daughters had applied for political asylum, New York police said Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia’s Consulate General in New York said in a statement that it had “appointed an attorney to follow the case closely.”

The cause of death has not been made known. The lack of obvious trauma appeared to rule out a theory they may have jumped into the river from the George Washington Bridge.

In a follow-up statement, the Saudi Arabian consulate described the pair as “students accompanying their brother in Washington.”

Finally, anyone with information is urged to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).