Murderer released from Rikers Island with other ‘non-violent offenders’ arrested for robbing bank – again

Share:

MANHATTAN, NY- He’s a convicted murderer.  He got out on parole.  He landed back in prison for “allegedly” attempting to strangle his girlfriend to death.  And “allegedly” trying to rob banks.

Then he was one of the hundreds of “non-violent inmates” released under Mayor Bill de Blasio’s plan to protect inmates from contracting COVID-19.

Now he’s under arrest against for another “alleged” attempted bank robbery.

We’re talking about James Little, 41.  He was most recently in Rikers Island for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

On March 28, he was one of the inmates released.  You know, for “health” reasons”.

Police say on Tuesday, he walked into an Apple Bank in Manhattan’s Gramercy Park wearing a mask and gloves.  They said he handed the teller a note that read “give me money”.

He left moments later… empty handed.

Police busted him shortly after and linked him to two other bank heists — one on Jan. 23 and the other on Dec. 26 of last year, in which he scored $1,000 in each case.

Police said Little did 20 years for a murder in Coney Island when he was 15 years old, and was released on parole in 2016.

As we reported last month, Rikers released hundreds of inmates, providing them hotel rooms and cab fare, too.

Reports have been making the rounds that an unspecified number of inmates released from the jail have been getting a personal ride to their destination, along with a cell phone and possible hotel rooms.

As of the time of the original report on March 26th, there’s been a reported 58 cases of COVID-19 that have affected various employees within the Departments of Corrections, along with 73 inmates testing positive within DOC facilities.

A DOC employee spoke with the NY Post on March 27th about the ongoing goodies being dispersed:

“This is a disgrace to all correction officers — insane and dishonorable.”

It’s even more of a disgrace because Mayor Bill de Blasio has still not afforded DOC personnel proper access to PPE like face masks to ensure increased safety measures.

Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for City Hall, explained that inmates within Rikers who present symptoms of COVID-19 are being afforded hotel rooms that have been traditionally used by the Department of Homeless Services to serve as impromptu isolation units.

Outside of those showcasing symptoms, other released inmates will have hotel rooms allocated if they’re under work release or are homeless upon release.

The idea is that these inmates who could be asymptomatic can be monitored after being released from the jail.

Cohen further confirmed that the cell phones and periodic cab fare are being administered.

The rationale behind the issued flip-phones is to be able to maintain contact with those released under certain guidelines for monitoring. The purpose for disbursing cab fare is for those who may carry the virus can avoid public transportation.

With the reasoning articulated, the measures can potentially decrease the viral spread of COVID-19 to a degree. Yet, the amenities given in the name of safety doesn’t make them easier pills to swallow.

In other news, de Blasio has been trying to place his city’s lacking supplies of PPE and medical supplies on President Trump. 

New York mayor Bill de Blasio is quick to blame the Trump administration for pretty much everything. However, the fact that the city didn’t secure its first order of emergency protective gear and supplies until March 6 is squarely on him.

Law Enforcement Today has learned from sources that de Blasio, who has been trying to deflect blame for the city’s apparent lack of preparation for the coronavirus in fact was asleep at the switch as the virus swept across China and then into Europe and finally the United States.

On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” de Blasio said that the White House needed to step up and provide the city with huge shipments of medical supplies by April, including surgical masks and respirators. He has also asked for the military to assist the city.

“He’s not acting like a commander-in-chief because he doesn’t know how,” the communist sympathizing mayor said. “He should get the hell out of the way.”

De Blasio complained that the city comprised “30 percent of the coronavirus cases in the United States, 70 percent in the state of New York,” while ignoring criticisms directed at him that he waited too long to take care of matters such as closing schools and other actions to keep New York residents from making contact with each other. “We need to take intense radical action right now.”

“If the president doesn’t act within days to maximize production, to get surgical masks, if he doesn’t mobilize the US military, people will die,” de Blasio said.

Sources say that on Feb.7, officials with the city’s Office of Emergency Management attempted to purchase nearly 200,000 N95 masks, however weeks later they learned that vendors had run out.

On March 6 and March 10, a full two months plus after the coronavirus outbreak first hit China, they finally secured the first emergency procurements of masks and hand sanitizer, according to the city’s comptroller’s office.

“Our city is the epicenter of this outbreak in the United States and we are lacking supplies because the mayor didn’t notice until two weeks ago?” said an angry City Councilman Chaim Deutsch.

“We ought to have been prepared for this. Blaming Trump is an easy way to avoid hard questions, but it exposes a distinct lack of management on the part of this administration,” Deutsch, a Brooklyn Democrat said.

According to a city hall spokeswoman, the city’s Office of Emergency Management on February 7 tried to purchase the masks, however regular vendors had run out. She said that the Health Department had already procured 19 million surgical masks and noted that there had been no payment delays.

In March, Comptroller Scott Stringer approved the early March orders of masks and hand sanitizer the same day, however a medical supply vendor who maintains standing city contracts told the New York Post that initial requests for the protective gear from the city’s Department of Citywide Administrative Services were caught up in bureaucratic red tape.

He noted that it took the agency and average of 72 hours to complete an order.

“We’d send them a list of products we can deliver within 24, 48 hours,” said the head of one of the medical supply companies.

He declined to be named out of fear of losing his current contracts.

“The private sector is knocking on our door all day, every day. We have every hospital facility from Buffalo to across the country chasing us for the same product—N95 masks, surgical masks, gloves, hand sanitizer—and the city just moves so slow, I mean it’s a joke,” he said.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing their untold stories. Click to check it out.

Murdered officer's grave desecrated before headstone even placed

The vendor stated that his company started stocking up on supplies in January and he works with a Chinese manufacturer that’s operating at 100 percent capacity.

He noted that the city missed out on eight of 10 supply orders because DCAS blew payment deadlines. And this is President Trump’s fault somehow?

“I personally live in the city. It’s just a shame to see the city move at the pace they’re moving. It’s just an embarrassment,” the supplier said.

“For the private sector, we’ve been selling and pushing product in the last four weeks and the city woke up two weeks ago,” the executive said.

A city spokeswoman said there were not payment delays.

On March 16, de Blasio suspended typical procurement rules and took over the process. Prior to that, the comptroller’s office approved 12 emergency contracts totaling $150 million.

During his press briefing last Thursday, de Blasio sought to assure the NYPD and other first responders who have complained about the lack of protective equipment, that he’s tried everything in his power to obtain supplies.

“We will do everything we can to get every conceivable supply of protective equipment from anywhere in the nation that we can on the private market and get it directly to you,” de Blasio said.

He then added that President Trump “has to give the order to get the federal government to get you what you deserve.”

Way to deflect there Mr. Mayor.

According to Nick Benson, a DCAS spokesman, the city maintains a three- month supply of gloves, cleaning products and hand sanitizer.

Since the onset of the coronavirus outbreak, the city has ordered 25 million masks, 2 million bottles of hand sanitizer, 12,000 thermometers, and 2,000 ventilators. Turnaround times “vary significantly,” Benson said.

“There is enormous demand for these and other products, but the City of New York is leveraging existing contracts with vendors to obtain supplies. When a vendor is unable to provide the quantity we need, we have identified other vendors. In many cases, vendors are shipping goods as soon as they’re manufactured,” Benson noted.

On March 19th, de Blasio complained that if the federal government doesn’t send 3 million more N95 masks, 50 million more surgical masks, 15,000 ventilators and 45 million surgical gowns, coveralls gloves and face shields by April, the city might run out of these supplies.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Share:
Related Posts