Month-long crime spree in New Mexico ends with the arrest of an 11-year-old boy

ALBUQUERQUE, NM— Police officers in Albuquerque brought an end to a month-long string of crimes that included burglary, grand theft auto, and even aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and shooting from a moving vehicle. While the brazen crimes alone could be considered shocking, another revelation has made national headlines: The arrested suspect is an 11-year-old boy.

Fox News report Sunday revealed that Albuquerque Police Chief Harold Medina told reporters he was disappointed to see an 11-year-old arrested from the crime spree. He echoed this sentiment in a post to X blaming a "toxic mix of guns and social media," and adding "Kids need consequences."
He wrote, "Disappointing to see a 11-year-old arrested for a crimes - from burglary to shooting a firearm. But this armed individual's behavior was escalating and he was a danger to the community. We need to do something about the toxic mix of guns and social media. Kids need consequences."

Medina told a local news outlet KOB4“I am grateful that we took this young suspect into custody without our officers having to use force. Despite his age, this suspect is considered very dangerous because of his use of a firearm and his escalating violence.” The outlet provided a timeline of the boy's rampage through Albuquerque that ran from May 5th to June 1st.

It began on May 5th with the theft of a Kia Forte that was recovered an hour later KOB4 reported. Seven days later an unidentified woman told police that four juveniles were throwing rocks at her residence, attempting to break her windows. The woman was also hit in the leg with one of the rocks. Later the same day, at another home a 12-year-old girl called 911 reporting that the group was throwing rocks at her home and attempting to break in. She identified the group as the "KIA Boyz" and said they were known in the area.

On May 17th, Albuquerque PD responded to a vehicular "smash and grab" burglary at a commercial location in which a stolen grey KIA was reversed into a storefront resulting in over $15,000 in stolen merchandise and damage. Twelve days after the brazen burglary a male called 911 reporting he'd been shot by four juveniles driving a blue KIA.

He reportedly spotted the KIA parked in front of his home and asked the juveniles to leave. They did so, only to return shortly after and shoot the man.

Finally, on June 1st, another shooting drew detectives with reports that a male had been shot in the hand and that the 9mm was located at the scene. The suspect was subsequently arrested. According to KOB4, he has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, conspiracy, shooting at or from a motor vehicle, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated battery, unlawful possession of a weapon by a minor, non-residential burglary, criminal damage to property over $1,000, and conspiracy to commit a fourth-degree felony.

Because the suspect is a minor, his name hasn't been publicly released as of this report.
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by LET CMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy