Mexican police officers tried to arrest the son of notorious drug kingpin ‘El Chapo’. The cartel just retaliated.


Sinaloa, Mexico has been overrun with violence as the botched attempt to arrest a high profile cartel leader turned into chaos in broad daylight. After the failure to detain the son of notorious drug kingpin ‘El Chapo’, a police officer was brutally assassinated, being shot more than 150 times.

The Mexican police officer, who is only being identified as Eduardo ‘N,’ 32 by local authorities in Mexico, was involved in the arrest of the son of alleged drug lord Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman. That officer was slain in a parking lot based in Culiacán, Sinaloa. A closed-circuit television camera had captured the disturbing moment on Wednesday morning when at least two armed men with what appeared to be semi-automatic rifles climbed out of a red car and opened fire at a white Nissan four-door sedan.

The ambush of the officer, which took less than 30 seconds, resulted in Eduardo’s death as he was sitting in his vehicle seconds after parking his car within the plaza. The hail of bullets from the gunmen left a sum of approximately 150 bullets into the white vehicle, a tactic not uncommon for execution-style killings that occur in the area.  


A Mexican police officer was gunned down by cartel forces in broad daylight. (YouTube/Dailymail)


As the video shows, the red car that had carried the gunmen had followed Eduardo’s car into the parking lot of a shopping center in Culiacán, the capital of Sinaloa state in Mexico. After flooding the Nissan with bullets, the two suspects jumped back into the red vehicle and can be seen speeding out of the parking lot.

The victim was a high-level officer with Sinalo’s State Preventive Police. Local media reports indicate that the officer was involved in the October 17 arrest of Ovidio Guzmán López, the son of Sinaloa cartel boss Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán. There’s reasonable speculation that this assassination is directly connected with the officer’s participation in the events that played out on October 17.

The events believed to have inspired this execution all started when Mexican security forces had Guzman Lopez, the son of ‘El Chapo’, outside of a house on his knees against a wall before they were forced to back off and let him go as his cartel’s gunmen was wreaking havoc in Sinaloa.

Defense Secretary Luis Cresencio Sandoval last week showed video and presented a timeline of the failed operation to arrest Guzmán López. The administration of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador was embarrassed by the disastrous failure of the attempt to arrest the alleged cartel leader and turn him over to the United States based upon the U.S. government’s request for an extradition.

A video that was shot by soldiers during the attempted arrest of Guzmán shows him exiting the house with his hands up. With gunfire going on in the background amidst the city, presumed to be associated with cartel violence in response to Guzman being detained, soldiers ordered him to call off the attacks around the city. Guzmán then called his brother, Archivaldo Iván Guzmán Salazar, on his cellphone and told him to cease the violence.

Archivaldo refused his brother’s request and shouted threats against the soldiers and their families over the phone. The attacks continued and eight minutes later the first wounded soldiers were reported. Archivaldo Guzmán likely realized that he and the cartel had the upper hand.

A cartel attack in broad daylight took the life of a local police officer.


The aftermath of the warzone within the city left thirteen dead. Officials in Mexico City ultimately ordered security forces to withdraw four hours after the operation began to avoid more bloodshed.

Mexico’s Public Safety Secretary, Alfonso Durazo, said that the terminated operation to arrest Guzmán Lopez was a ‘hasty action’ that deserves criticism, but the details revealed that the arrest had been in the works for more than a week.

The government’s timeline of events exhibited that the U.S. government requested Guzmán Lopez’s arrest for extradition on September 13, and on October 9, an elite Mexican army anti-drug unit traveled from Mexico City to Culiacan to prepare for the operation.  Authorities were still in the process of getting a search warrant when the operation began outside a large home where Guzmán Lopez had been located.

As authorities moved in on the house, gunmen began attacking the officers. Sandoval said that once lawmen came under attack, the search warrant was no longer needed. It became apparent that those involved in the planned arrest weren’t poised to handle the fierce retaliation of the Sinaloa cartel forces throughout the home and city.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.


Military organizers had four extra teams establishing an external security ring for the operation, but the cartel’s gunmen cut off the routes for three of them, preventing added support from assisting authorities. Meanwhile, the cartel sent groups of gunmen to numerous military installations around the city to attack soldiers and their families. At one military housing block, a sergeant ushered children who were playing outside to safety, but he was taken hostage in the process.

Overall, two officers and nine soldiers were taken hostage by the cartel during the fray, according to Sandoval. The majority of them were providing security for two fuel tanker convoys at a toll plaza on the outskirts of the city; which Sandoval said soldiers had projected that 150 gunmen in 30 vehicles arrived at the plaza where they were stationed. Once Guzmán Lopez was released by the group who had detained him, all the military personnel were let go and the team that had captured Guzmán Lopez left the home.


There’s been no mention of who was negotiating with the cartel while the madness ensued in Sinaloa. Sandoval stated that the leader of the team who initially detained Guzmán Lopez was offered $3 million to let him go, but when he refused, he was advised that the cartel was going to kill him and his family.

While there’s no mention as to whether the leader of the team sent to arrest Guzmán Lopez was the now slain Officer Eduardo, it’s clear that there’s likely more retaliation that will occur from this failed operation.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First