Metro Special Police officer, a mother of four and young grandma, murdered – killer on the run


WASHINGTON, DC – A 41-year-old Metro Special Police officer was fatally shot during the evening of September 21st.

DC Police are currently investigating and have stated they’re searching for a white Toyota Camry that may be connected to the fatal shooting.

DC Police responded to the area of the 3300 block of 10th Place SE at approximately 8:42 p.m. after a report of gunfire in the area. Upon arrival, responding officers found the body of 41-year-old Metro Special Police Officer Angela Washington, who had suffered an apparent gunshot wound.

Officials say that SPO Washington was in uniform and on-duty at the time of her death.

According to the Metro Special Police Department’s official website, they’re a “private law enforcement agency authorized by the District of Columbia’s Municipal Regulations” that have “full arrest powers on the property or within the geographical area that they are assigned to protect.”

Authorities have not furnished any details on what preceded or possibly prompted the shooting, only noting that police are actively searching for a Toyota Camry with dark tinted windows that was last spotted on Wheeler Road SE headed toward Southern Avenue SE.

DC Police have released the following statement regarding a reward for any information that can lead to an arrest and conviction for the person(s) responsible for the murder of SPO Washington:

“The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for each homicide committed in the District of Columbia.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by sending a text message to 50411.”

No additional details have been released as of this writing, as this is still an active investigation within the preliminary stages.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates on this developing case.  

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Officer seriously injured after being struck by thief driving stolen vehicle – who then escaped

(Originally published September 21st, 2021)

Editor note: Law Enforcement Today is proud to announce the launch of a nationwide campaign to “re-fund the police” – and we’re asking every American to help get in the fight.  To learn more about how you can support law enforcement, click here.

FARMINGTON, CT – A Farmington Police officer was seriously injured after being struck by a stolen vehicle earlier in September, resulting in the officer being pinned between the stolen vehicle and his cruiser that he’d just exited from.

Officials say the incident occurred during the early morning hours of September 20th after officers were called out to a condominium parking lot on Talcott Notch Road regarding an active theft in progress from a parked vehicle in the area.

Shortly before 1:00 a.m. on the day of the incident, a witness observed what they believed to be an individual trying to steal a catalytic converter. By the time officers arrived on the scene, police located the suspect vehicle, and one officer parked his cruiser in front of the vehicle in order to make contact with the suspect.

Authorities say at that point, the suspect attempted to flee in the vehicle and struck the officer who’d just exited his cruiser.

Officials claim the suspect trapped the officer between the police cruiser’s driver’s side and the suspect’s car, crushing him as he fled.

According to authorities, the officer was taken to St. Francis Hospital and is being treated for severe but non-life threatening injuries to his lower body.

Lt. Tim McKenzie of the Farmington Police Department stated the following about the incident and officer’s condition:

“The officer suffered some very serious injuries mostly to the lower portion of this person and he is being prepped and he will be needing surgery today. It is non-life threatening, but he’s in a lot of pain.”

Following the officer’s injury, other officers chased the car for a short distance until it crashed into the woods, and the suspect or suspects escaped on foot.

Several K9 teams scoured the vicinity for the suspects but were unsuccessful. The search for the suspect or suspects is still active. Police added that the identity of the driver of the stolen vehicle is unknown.

Farmington Police Department is asking anybody with information or who may have seen the incident to call them at (860) 675-2400.

The identity of the injured officer has not been revealed as of this writing.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates on this active investigation.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Video: Two police K9s shot by criminal who held gun to the head of a man, stole his car and lead police on chase

(Originally published September 19th, 2021)

VOLUSIA COUNTY, FL – A carjacking suspect was shot and critically wounded after shooting two K-9s while fleeing deputies early Saturday morning, according to the Volusia County Sheriff.

Volusia County Sheriff’s deputies said a Lyft driver reported a carjacking around 11:30 p.m. Friday in Osteen. The driver said the suspect held a gun to his head before stealing his white Kia Sedona minivan.

Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said the Lyft driver picked up a customer in Sanford and drove him to a remote part of Reed Ellis Road in Osteen. Chitwood said when the Lyft driver and suspect arrived, 21-year-old Shedrick Singleton Jr. from Orlando put a gun to the driver’s head and told them to get out of the car.

Singleton then fled the scene in the stolen Kia. The victim stopped a passing vehicle and alerted law enforcement of the carjacking, the sheriff said, and license plate readers were able to track the car moving through Deltona.

Deputies located the stolen Kia on Lake Helen Osteen Road in Deltona. When they attempted to stop the vehicle, they say the suspect bailed out at Deltona Gardens Apartments and ran into a wooded area to hide.

Chitwood said about 10 minutes after the bailout, a Volusia Co Sheriff’s Deputy K-9 handler and K-9 Ax approached the suspect and the suspect shot Ax. Ax came out of the brush with a gunshot wound to his face.

The Sheriff said:

“Once he leaves the scene, we’re now able to track that our suspect has moved deeper into the woods. And for the next hour and 20 minutes, you know we’re tracking him and he’s in a really deep in the woods we know he’s armed, we’re not really trying to force anybody’s hand.”

The suspect was tracked through the woods by drones, a helicopter, and deputies. About 90 minutes after Ax was shot, the suspect was observed exiting the woods. K-9 Endo was released to apprehend him and was shot twice, once in the jaw and once in the paw.

The suspect also suffered multiple gunshot wounds during the gunfight.

Both K-9s were treated and were eventually able to be released back to their handlers to recover.

In a Twitter update, Sheriff Chitwood wrote:

“Those dogs took bullets for their handlers and still had to be pulled out of the fight! Special animals who are truly part of our family. Thank God they’re OK & our deputies went home safe this morning.”

Sheriff Chitwood gave an update during a presser on Saturday afternoon:

“There is no doubt that K-9 Ax and K-9 Endo took bullets that were meant for my deputies.

“If the deputies would have gone into the woods, the first person to come in contact with Singleton, without a doubt, would have been shot.”

Ax was treated at Animal Emergency Hospital Volusia in Ormond Beach, where the Daytona Beach Police Department sent its own K-9s to donate blood for him. Endo was treated at Veterinary Emergency Center of East Volusia in South Daytona, according to WESH News.

This was not Endo’s first gun battle. Endo was shot during a domestic violence call on November 4, 2015, and was awarded the VSO Medal of Valor and Purple Heart.

Singleton was transported to Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford with life-threatening injuries. He faces charges including armed carjacking and the use of a deadly weapon against a police K-9.

When Singleton fired at law enforcement, four Volusia County deputies and one DeLand police officer returned fire.

The incident is being investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts