After a lull, the #metoo movement has reignited this week as two prominent male figures were accused of inappropriate conduct against women.
Celebrity magician David Blaine is under investigation by the NYPD after reports surfaced from at least two women who claim to have been sexually assaulted by the performer.
NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said during a press conference earlier this week that, “there is an active investigation” into the allegations against Blaine.
EXCLUSIVE: David Blaine under NYPD investigation over allegations that he sexually assaulted at least two women https://t.co/6tR6JYFJni
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) April 1, 2019
The Daily Beast reported that when the NYPD took statements from each of the women, they learned that one of them might fall outside of the statute of limitations. The woman claimed that Blaine assaulted her in his New York City apartment back in 1998, well past the 5-year limitation.
SVU detectives have yet to interview Blaine. He has not been charged with a crime, nor contacted by police.
“The NYPD takes sexual assault and rape cases extremely seriously,” Chief Spokesman Phil Walzak said in a formal statement, “and urges anyone who has been a victim to file a report so we can perform a comprehensive investigation, and offer support and services to survivors.”
This isn’t the first time that David Blaine has been accused of sexual assault against women. In 2004, model Natasha Prince claimed that the illusionist raped her in London. Blaine denied the accusations. Detectives began investigating her story but after interviewing Prince decided not to pursue the case further.
Blaine became well known after broadcasting stunts like being buried alive, living in a box suspended above London for over 40 days, and holding his breath for nearly 20 minutes underwater.
These comes soon after Joe Biden additionally made national headlines after multiple accusations arose from women who he had made feel uncomfortable during his time as the vice president.
On Sunday, Biden responded to accusations he’s inappropriately touched women over the years.
His argument? He doesn’t “believe” he did… but he could be wrong. And he’s willing to “listen respectfully” to suggestions he did.
Biden, who is considering a run for president in 2020, released a statement in response to allegations from a Nevada politician that he crossed the line.
“In my many years on the campaign trail and in public life, I have offered countless handshakes, hugs, expressions of affection, support and comfort. And not once — never — did I believe I acted inappropriately,” he said. “If it is suggested I did so, I will listen respectfully. But it was never my intention.”
Former Vice President Joe Biden has not responded to another claim that he touched a woman inappropriately. A woman says Biden rubbed his nose against hers at a fundraiser nearly 10 years ago.@edokeefe has more from the second woman to speak up: pic.twitter.com/VmRkuxMplf
— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) April 2, 2019
Biden and the Democratic Party sure seem to be pulling complete U-Turn from the “#MeToo” movement, especially after the unfounded allegations and savage attacks against the now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
“She deserves to be treated with dignity,” Biden said of Ford. “It takes enormous courage for a woman to come forward under bright lights, with millions of people watching, and relive something that happened to her, assert that something happened to her, and she should be treated with respect.”
Those were the words of former Vice President Joe Biden about Christine Ford, the woman who made unfounded accusations against Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings.
Those words are coming back to haunt him.