In Memoriam Officer Glenn Doss Jr.


Chief James Craig of the Detroit Police Department sadly reports the death of Officer Glenn Doss Jr.

Wednesday, January 24, Officer Glenn Doss, 25, responded to a domestic assault in progress with a weapon and shots fired, late in the evening. When he and his partner, Officer Samuel Anderson, arrived with other officers, the suspect was standing outside his residence.

The suspect commenced firing at police vehicles as they approached the scene. Two patrol units were struck by fired rounds. Tragically, Officer Doss was struck in the head and chest by the suspect’s gunfire as he was seated in his patrol vehicle. One bullet that caused his critical injury struck him over his left eye and lodged his brain.

Officer Anderson, who was driving the scout car, immediately exited the scene and rushed Doss to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. His condition was listed as “critical.”

The suspect in the shooting barricaded himself inside the residence and a standoff followed for several hours. When SRT deployed chemical munitions into the house, the suspect fled out the back door. As a result, he was quickly taken into custody.

A second emergency surgery was performed on Doss, the following day and he remained in the intensive care unit on life support. Brain swelling from the injury was a major problem. He remained in critical condition, in a medically induced coma until his passing away yesterday afternoon.

“As you now know, our officer just passed 45 minutes ago,” Detroit Police Chief James Craig said outside the hospital Sunday afternoon. “He fought a good fight. He is truly what we call one of Detroit’s finest. He is what we call an American hero. He did what we expect each and every officer to do: Go out and serve this community with distinction and honor.”

Craig introduced Doss’s father, who is also a Detroit police officer. Also named Glenn, he could be heard in the flurry of scanner traffic Wednesday night after Doss was shot.

His request over the airwaves was resounding: “Please pray for my son.”

And those sentiments were echoed Sunday as he reflected on his family’s loss.

“First of all we want to thank everyone for their prayers and their support that they sent up to God for my son,” the father said. “I want to thank God for the 25 years that have allowed me the honor and the pleasure to raise such a great young man, who was so positive and who was so humble.

“He never gave me any problem at all.”

“There has never been a time, it has been more dangerous to be a Detroit police officer than the last year and a half,” said Mayor Mike Duggan. “There have been more shootings of police officers than I can ever remember, and yet the 2,500 men and women of the department go out  there every day. And I would say to the folks of this city: When you see a police officer, thank them for their courage and their service.”

“It’s somber, we’ve had too many losses in our department. We’ve had too many injured officers,” said Asst. Detroit Police Chief Arnold Williams. “It’s hard. It’s a hard job, and we’re doing it for the community. Sometimes, people lose that perspective.”

Decharlos Brooks, 43, was charged Saturday — before Doss died — with eight counts of assault with intent to murder, seven counts of resisting and obstructing, one count of carrying a dangerous weapon and 17 counts of felony firearms, The Detroit News reported.

Glenn Doss Jr. served the Detroit Police Department for two years and was assigned to the seventh precinct. He is survived by his girlfriend of nine years, Emily Crouse and their nine-month old son, Eli, and his parents.

Doss comes from a family of public servants. In addition to his father, Glenn Doss Sr. who is a Detroit police officer with 19 years of service, his mother is a lieutenant with Detroit’s EMS.

Officer Glenn Doss Jr. is gone, but will never be forgotten. EOW: Sunday, January 28, 2018.

Submit a Correction
Related Posts