Medics attacked by gunman while treating victim – armed EMT returns fire and takes out shooter

Share:

PINE BLUFF, AR – Two Pine Bluff, Arkansas paramedics were shot multiple times early on Thursday morning and one returned fire and killed the gunman.

The incident occurred just before 4:40 a.m. on December 17th when EASI Ambulance Service paramedics responded to a residence in the 1400-block of West 23rd Avenue to render aid to a woman who was reported to have an orthopedic injury. 

The ambulance crew was not aware that the woman’s injury was a result of a domestic violence incident. 

According to a police report, the ambulance call did not at first mention the domestic violence nature of the response, and that police would have accompanied the ambulance crew to the scene.

Police told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that the responding paramedics were treating a 20-year-old woman with an injured knee in the back of their ambulance when her boyfriend, 22-year-old Kevin Curl Jr., approached them aggressively.

21-year-old Paramedic John Spriggs Sr. told police he asked Curl to back up, but the angry man refused.  Spriggs added that Curl asked the paramedics what they were going to do about it, shoved one of them, and then pulled out a gun.

Police said Curl shot each of the paramedics three times in the chest, pelvis, and abdomen.

Despite being critically wounded, Spriggs pulled his own firearm and returned fire, striking Kevin Curl in the chest with at least one round. 

Police said the gunman was pronounced dead on the floor of his residence.  His father, Kevin Curl, Sr., told police that he was in the back of his house when he heard his son screaming “Dad.”  He said his son crawled into the house and collapsed on the kitchen floor and told him that he had been shot. 

When police arrived at the scene, they found Spriggs on the ground beside the ambulance and the 35-year-old Paramedic Joshua Godfrey bleeding inside it.  Both paramedics and the female victim they had been treating when they were attacked were transported to Jefferson Regional Medical Center, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

Kevin Hadley, Pine Bluff Assistant Police Chief gave a statement:

“The patient who was being worked on was a female who had reportedly been abused. She and both paramedics were taken to Jefferson Regional Hospital. Hadley said that his information was that both paramedics were taken to surgery and their conditions were not known.”

Medics attacked by gunman while treating patient, armed medic returns fire
Screenshot courtesy of YouTube

Pine Bluff’s Emergency Ambulance Service released a statement on Facebook:

“At approximately 4:30 AM, EASI responded to a call for service that was received as orthopedic in nature.  Upon arrival, the crew made contact with the caller and learned that her injuries were sustained in a domestic incident earlier that morning.

“While attempting to provide patient care, Paramedic John Spriggs and EMT-B Joshua Godfrey were shot multiple times by the patient’s boyfriend.  Both Spriggs and Godfrey were transported to Jefferson Regional Medical Center, where they both required emergency surgical procedures. They currently remain in the hospital in stable but serious condition.

“It has been a long and stressful day for the EASI family, and we continue to pray for Spriggs and Godfrey, as well as their families, during this difficult time. Their families have expressed gratitude for the outpouring of love and prayers.

“The Pine Bluff Police Department’s investigation into the incident is still ongoing, so we will not be commenting further at this time.”

Many people responded to the Facebook post with support of having more armed Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) and paramedics:

Hayley Vowell wrote:

“Even more reason for responders to carry the means to defend themselves. They deserve to go home alive and unharmed at the end of their shift. No excuse not to want your employees protected.”

Stephanie Tyler wrote:

“Praying for both the EMTs and their families as well as all of you!!!! This is beyond saddening and makes me so angry at the gangsters and idiots out on the streets right now.”

EASI also saw support from other emergency medical agencies:

Ken Kelley with ProMed Ambulance wrote:

“From the entire ProMed Ambulance family, we offer our prayers and support. The challenges our frontline responders face are difficult. Always know we stand strong with those holding the thin white line.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Anti-Trump Tik Tok users try to sabotage President's rally, accidentally end up donating nearly K to GOP

Brooklyn EMT crew lured into apartment building with fake 911 call, robbed at gunpoint

December 9, 2020

BROOKLYN, NY – As crime spirals out of control in Bill de Blasio’s lawless city of New York, the latest incident of insanity comes as an emergency services crew was lured into a Brooklyn neighborhood on a false call only to be robbed

The New York Fire Department explained that the bogus call came in Monday night at 11 pm for a response request to 365 Sackman Street in the Brownville neighborhood of Brooklyn. 

Members of the volunteer EMS crew, responded to a call of a patient experiencing difficulty breathing.  

As they got off the elevator on the 11th floor to treat the victim, the EMS team, 45-year-old male and 28-year-old female, were confronted by a masked man with a gun. 

There was no patient to tend to.  It was a planned robbery of the responding EMS personnel. Equipment, including their tools of the trade, their radios, and their wallets, phones, and other personal belongings were stolen.

The New York Police Department reported that medical supply bags were taken, and they were ordered to return to the apartment building’s lobby.  The bags were later found inside the building with medical instruments and computer tablets missing.

Gun violence, coupled with armed robbery, is one of many crime statistics that have exploded in New York City this year.

The NYPD crime statistics department indicated that gun violence surged by over 95% during the first 11 months of 2020 compared to the same period last year.

The NYPD told ABC 7 New York:

“So far in 2020, there has been a 38% increase (422 vs. 305) in the number of victims murdered in New York City compared to last year.”

The NYPD said November’s gun arrests were up significantly as well. 

The new statistical data was announced as December 4th saw the shooting of two U.S. Marshals and an NYPD detective in the Bronx and two separate shootings on December 2nd and on December 3rd.

Dermot Shea, NYPD Commissioner said the wave of shootings doesn’t deter the NYPD’s resolve:

“Whatever the challenge, our NYPD officers have shown innovation and determination to get the job done this year.  Our work to reimagine the kind of policing New Yorkers deserve is always evolving, in line with our agency’s best traditions to reflect the needs of everyone in our city.”

From January to November 2020, the number of shootings in New York City rose by 95 percent over the same period last year, or 1,412 vs. 721.

As mentioned previously, in November alone, the number of shootings in the city increased 112 percent over the same period last year, or 115 vs. 51.

It is usual for violence to decrease during the colder winter months, as is evidenced by past statistics. 

This winter, however, with Covid-19 lockdowns, all but doing away with bail or bond in New York City crimes, and defunding the police to where fewer officers are out trying to prevent crimes, it appears to be exploding. 

Normally quiet, December, January, and February will likely not be quiet at all.

Recent examples from the Thanksgiving weekend in the Bronx prove that point.

A violent crime wave that started on Thanksgiving Day spread over into Black Friday through the next morning. 

Black Friday shootings began in the Bronx just after 6:00 p.m. Police reported that a man was in an argument at 1870 Webster Avenue.  During the argument, the unnamed suspect shot the victim in the chest. 

He was rushed to the St. Barnabas Hospital and is expected to survive from his injuries.

Police then responded to another shooting in Flatbush. 

The New York Police Department reported that two men were standing outside of 25 Tennis Court near Ocean Avenue when they were approached by an armed suspect.  The armed suspect opened fire, striking the two victims, one shot in the forearm and hip; the second victim was struck in a foot. 

The suspect fled the scene in a black Grand Cherokee.

A few minutes after this shooting, police responded to the Staten Island University Hospital in Staten Island for a man who walked into the hospital with a gunshot graze wound to his head.

The victim told police that he was shot in the area of Park Hill Avenue in the Clifton section, however, he refused to cooperate any further with the police investigation.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Share:
Related Posts