Married San Diego detectives among three killed in head-on crash caused by wrong-way driver


SAN YSIDRO, CA – Two San Diego Police detectives were reportedly killed in a head-on crash that occurred along Interstate 5 on June 4th in San Ysidro, which authorities say was caused by a wrong-way driver who also died as a result of the collision. 

The slain police detectives, who were also a married couple, were identified by officials as 32-year-old Detective Ryan Park and his wife, 33-year-old Detective Jamie Huntley-Park. 

Officials say that the detectives were in a city owned Ford Fusion sedan while driving down Interstate 5, not far from the U.S.-Mexico border in San Ysidro. 

The California Highway Patrol were reportedly notified of a Honda Civic driving north on Interstate 5, going against traffic, at approximately 10:20 a.m. that morning. 

Shortly after CHP were informed of the wrong-way driver, a head-on crash was reported to authorities which involved the Honda Civic and the Ford Fusion sedan the detectives were inside of. 

Both Detectives Jamie and Ryan Park were killed in the crash, as well as the driver of the Honda Civic. The driver of said vehicle has only been identified as a woman. 

Reportedly, the wrong-way driver’s vehicle had burst into flames following the crash. 

Both of the detectives were said to have had the day off during the incident, but Ryan was still on call, according to Police Chief David Nisleit. 

The couple had met each other at the police academy back in 2012 and went on to get married back in 2016. Both had gotten promoted to the rank of detective on the same day back in 2018. 

Chief Nisleit shared his thoughts regarding the passing of the two detectives: 

“Today, my heart aches as we mourn the tragic passing of two decorated detectives…They were an incredible part of our team who helped countless San Diegans.”

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria shared his condolences during a press conference as well, saying: 

“Jamie and Ryan spent their lives serving the city, protecting the city. And so, I express my appreciation to both of them for their service and sacrifice to the city, and to the people who live here.

“Again, I extend my condolences on behalf of a grateful city, to their families.”

Authorities are still investigating the incident, taking factors such as vehicle speed and possible intoxicants into consideration. 

Hours after the fatal crash, a procession of more than a dozen motorcycle officers led a coroner’s van away from the site of the incident. 

On June 5th, member of the San Diego Angels Girls Ice Hockey Club paid tribute to the fallen police detectives, as Jamie Huntley-Park had also served as a coach for the hockey club

Alex Morrison, who serves as a San Diego Angels girls hockey coach and director, spoke about how members made the likes of signs and cards and placed them at their typical practice rink: 

“There were tears, there were hugs just to know how special Jamie and Ryan were to all of us. They had a beautiful tribute to her, they put up flowers and made posters and there are notes, and it just really shows how much she meant to all of them.”

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

One day prior to this fatal crash, a police officer in New York was critically injured while engaged in a vehicular pursuit, with authorities saying that a light pole had fallen on the officer’s cruiser during the pursuit. 

Here’s that previous report from earlier in June. 


BUFFALO, NY – A 29-year-old Buffalo Police officer is in serious but stable condition after a light pole fell on to the officer’s police cruiser on June 3rd during a pursuit.

Officials say that the injured officer had suffered severe head trauma from the incident.

Officials have identified the injured officer as Officer Jonathan Negron.

The incident that led to the officer’s injuries started after BPD officers were responding to a call on June 3rd at approximately 12:58 p.m. about a white vehicle with four suspects inside on Crossman Avenue near Genesee Street, where one occupant was reportedly armed inside the car.

Officer Negron had reportedly tried to stop the vehicle, but the driver had instead led the officer on a pursuit. The pursued vehicle had wound up going off road into the Mount Calvary cemetery, where upon exiting the cemetery, the vehicle hit a light pole when crossing Harlem Road.

The pole allegedly struck by the vehicle being pursued wound up crashing through Officer Negron’s driver side window, knocking the officer unconscious.

Additional officers responding to the scene of the incident transported Officer Negron to ECMC in a squad car, where the officer was later admitted to the hospital’s Trauma Intensive Care Unit.

The four suspects inside of the vehicle being pursued were reportedly apprehended, but authorities have not identified the suspects by name as of this writing.

However, the driver of the vehicle was said to be a 16-year-old male from Rochester, which he has been charged with assault on a peace officer, and unlawful fleeing of a police officer. 

The juvenile could be facing up to 15 years in prison if convicted. 

The 16-year-old suspect is slated for a felony hearing on June 8th in Family Court.

Police have not levied any charges against the three other passengers inside of the vehicle during the June 3rd pursuit. Said passengers were only identified as two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. 

Officials say that the weapon allegedly in possession of the suspects which spawned the pursuit has not been recovered, but police are continuing to search the area where the pursuit occurred. 

Buffalo Police’s Accident Investigation Unit worked on the reconstruction of the scene of the accident, while the Homicide Unit are reportedly taking the lead into the criminal investigation regarding the four suspects arrested.

Officer Negron has been placed into a medically induced coma, which his condition has been updated to serious but stable.

Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans said Officer Negron has been with the BPD for two years, adding that he is the father of an infant son and has a fiancée. 

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts