Manhunt underway for suspects who ambushed officer during traffic stop, shot him multiple times


BURLESON, TX– A manhunt is underway for three suspects who opened fire on a Burleson police officer early Wednesday morning, April 14th. 

According to reports, the police officer is hospitalized after being shot multiple times while conducting a traffic stop. 

The Burleson Police Department made the announcement on Twitter saying that the police officer, whos name has not yet been released, made a traffic stop at 4:15 a.m. along the 1100 block of Southwest Hillside Drive, near the Burleson High School Campus.

Burleson Police Chief Billy Cordell said that at some point during the stop, one of the three suspects inside the vehicle opened fire, striking the officer multiple times before fleeing the scene. 

The suspects abandoned their vehicle a short distance away in the 700 block of John Jones Drive. It appears as though they tried to burn the vehicle, possibly in an attempt to conceal evidence. 

NBC 5 reported that the officer was taken by another officer to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth for treatment. He was “lucid and speaking” when he was being transported to the hospital. In a later news conference, Cordell described the officer’s condition as “stable.”


The officer was wearing a body camera, so Burleson police officers are using the footage to try to identify the suspects. A Fort Worth police helicopter was assisting in the search to canvas the area from overhead.

From the footage, officers have been able to determine that the suspects are two white men, and one white woman.

Cordell said that the wounded officer has served on the midnight shift for several years, adding that the incident comes as a shock to the department, NBC5 reported.

Cordell said:

“This is a surprise. Burleson’s a great, great community of people. This is certainly not anything we would expect to see, but it’s always a possibility,” 

He added:

“This will be difficult on the family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family,” 

Officers from various departments have shown up to JPS hospital to show their support for the wounded officer. 

County Sheriff Bill Waybourn was among those who showed up, and he spoke to reporters, saying:

“You’re going to see police officers come in and out of here, and deputy sheriffs and constables — they’re all going to show up because that’s our brother out there and we know he’s our brother in arms. We want to make sure that he and his family are OK,” 

He went on to say:

“We as a community will certainly get through this but it just reminds us of the day-to-day danger that our noble people in law enforcement see.”

Cordell said:

“We appreciate all of the support that we’re getting, the outpouring of support from so many people. Can’t tell you how much that means to us and to this officer,” 

He continued:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with him and we ask our community to be praying for him as well.”

The Texas Rangers will take over the investigation. At this time, the suspects have not been apprehended, but the Burleson Police Department is asking anyone with any information to call 911. 

This is not the first officer to be shot this month. Last week, Law Enforcement Today reported on a LAPD SWAT officer that was shot in the face during a standoff. Here is more on that. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

LOS ANGELES, CA – During an armed standoff in mid-March, a SWAT officer was shot in the face by a gunman, according to bodycam footage released by the Los Angeles Police Department.

The incident started around 12:15 p.m. on March 16th, when the Los Angeles Police Department received a complaint of a man shooting a rifle into the air in the backyard of a home in the 1000-block of West 21st Street.

The lot where the gunman was allegedly shooting the weapon was said to contain two different households, one in the front and one in the back, according to LAPD Chief Michel Moore.

The police chief further noted that the perpetrator, 37-year-old Jorge Cerda, was located by responding officers in the backyard of the lot.

Investigators found that the residents of the house located on the front of the lot are actually related to the alleged gunman, after responding officers had spoken with them.

Cerda’s family members gave police “varying accounts” of whether or not the suspect was actively using drugs, the status of his mental health, and how many weapons he may have had access to at the time, according to Chief Moore.

As a result of the assailant barricading himself inside the back residence, a SWAT team was deployed to the scene. According to Chief Moore, other members of the suspect’s family were removed from the scene.

Cerda had reportedly refused to lay down his weapons and come outside, despite officers’ attempts to get him to come out without incident.

While an officer was speaking to Cerda through his sister’s cell phone, the officer was trying to talk down the suspect by saying:

“We don’t want to come in there… We don’t want you to die today.”

The suspect’s family members were also urging Cerda to come out of the home peaceably. Those efforts were also unsuccessful.

Police opted to deploy tear gas into the home where the suspect barricaded himself. LAPD officials say that at that point, Cerda opened fire at the officers deploying the tear gas.

One SWAT member, identified as Officer Rodney Williams, was initially struck in the vest. Officer Williams seemed unphased, and the two SWAT members opted to deploy more tear gas toward the suspect.

After deploying additional tear gas, Cerda reportedly opened fire once again – this time, striking Officer Williams in the face. The officer can be seen falling to the ground, clutching the side of his face where the bullet had struck him.

The second SWAT officer moved the injured officer to safety, and officials say that Officer Williams was subsequently rushed to a local hospital for treatment and has since been released.

After Officer Williams was shot, the bodycam footage released shows the perspective of another SWAT officer positioned at a window above from where the suspect was holed up.

In the footage, the SWAT officer can be seen firing off several rounds not long after Officer Williams was shot.

Cerda slumped over on top of a loaded shotgun, according to reports, and was later declared deceased at the scene. Reports also allege that Cerda was in possession of an untraceable “ghost gun” as well.

Chief Moore commended the work accomplished by officers, specifically highlighting the quick actions taken by officers to render aid to Officer Williams:

“I am thankful for the SWAT officers that risked their life in rescuing him and getting him immediate medical attention. And I’m also grateful that there was no other further loss of life in this ordeal.”

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts