Florida man with lengthy violent criminal history shot dead by police while holding his own mother at knifepoint


KENDALL, FL – Last Wednesday night, Miami-Dade dispatchers received two 911 calls centered around callers hearing what sounded like a violent encounter and a woman screaming.

Police responded to a Kendale Lakes apartment complex, heard screaming from inside one of the units, but couldn’t get anyone to open the door.

That is when police say that the responding officers broke down the door and entered the apartment.

Inside, they found 21-year-old Richard Hollis with two knives. The women who had been screaming was his mother. What they were arguing about is unclear, but the officers deemed Hollis’s possession of the knives to be a threat to the safety of his mother.

Officers gave Hollis several verbal commands, which he refused to comply with.

Police spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta says that the officers were then forced to take action.

“He did not comply with the officers’ command and the officer discharged his firearm striking the subject,” Zabaleta said.

Hollis was rushed to Kendall Regional Hospital where he died. His mother was not hurt in the encounter.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, per policy, will be investigating this officer-involved shooting.

The Miami Hearld is reporting that Hollis had a violent history beyond the night that he died.

Prior to his death, Hollis was awaiting trial after he was arrested in April 2021 on allegations that he attacked an 88-year-old neighbor who complained that he repeatedly walked his large dog without a leash.

According to police, Hollis pushed the man down and then kicked him. This encounter happened at the Kendall apartment complex where they both lived. That trial for felony battery was set for July 11.

Hollis was also charged with felony battery on a law enforcement officer after police say he slammed the door on an officer who came to arrest him, striking him in the face with that door.

Officers had to stun him with a taser, according to the arrest report. That charge was later reduced to a misdemeanor.

In 2019, Hollis was arrested after his mother called police, saying that he was “screaming at her” while they drove, and began yanking her head around by the hair. He told arresting officers that the argument started over food, according to an arrest report. That case of misdemeanor battery was later dismissed.

Later that same month, he filed for a restraining order against his mother. He claimed that she had been “following him,” had “punched his computer” and “threatened his education.” The arrest documents did not clarify what was meant by that final accusation.

He also alleged that his mother had bit him in the past, leading to her arrest. He filed for emancipation. He later withdrew the request for a restraining order, saying he wanted to “repair” the relationship with his mom.

According to the Herald, court records show the emancipation which would free him from his mother’s legal guardianship, was granted by a Miami-Dade court. The report stated that the emancipation was granted in 2017, while stating that he filed in 2019. Law Enforcement has not been able to confirm either of those dates.


Knife-wielding attacker slashes police officer’s femoral artery before being taken down by other officers

CREST HILL, ILLINOIS – On Monday night, a Crest Hill police officer was seriously injured when a knife-wielding attacker slashed his femoral artery.

According to the police, a woman dialed 9-1-1 at 6:45 p.m. Monday evening saying that 30-year-old Matthew Parks, her husband, punched her in the face. The woman reported that Parks had a knife and that children were present in the home.



The Will County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) said dispatchers could hear someone in the background of the call making comments about “suicide by police.” There were also reports of arguing and crying heard.

Officers arrived in time to the 1400-block of Pioneer Road and encountered Parks. Moments later, a physical altercation ensued.

Investigators allege that Parks provoked an attack on one of the officers on the scene, stabbing the officer with the reported knife to encourage police to use deadly force.

Parks slashed the officer’s femoral artery and was critically injured. He was immediately rushed to Amita Health Saint Joseph Medical Center in Joliet.

He was then taken into emergency surgery to repair his artery.

The police say that another officer present stopped the attack by shooting Parks “several” times.

Officers present administered medical assistance to the suspect after the shooting occurred.

Parks died on the scene from wounds incurred.

Neighbors living in the building said they did not notice any signs of trouble with other residents.



Marissa Skold, Parks’ sister, said her brother had previously discussed “suicide by cop” and that he had mental health issues for years.

She said,

“Unfortunately, this is the end result of not getting help.”

As of Tuesday, the officer involved was in serious but stable condition and was still in intensive care. This officer has served with Chicago Police since September 2019.

The investigation is being handled by the WCSO and the Will and Grundy Counties Major Crimes Task Force. The surrounding area where the incident occurred was closed to traffic while the investigation took place.

It is reported that other officers involved with the incident received medical treatment at the local hospital and have been released. The sergeant who shot the suspect has served with Chicago PD since September of 2004.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity


Police officer ambushed and shot after discovering two gunshot victims in gun-controlled Chicago

CHICAGO, IL – A Chicago Police officer was non-fatally shot after being among officers who responded to a shots fired call where two victims were discovered.

Officials say the officer’s condition is stabilized, but one of the discovered gunshot wound victims was later declared deceased.


Police say that on September 24th at approximately 10:50 p.m., Third District officers had responded to a call of gunfire around the 7200 block of South Jeffery Boulevard.

Responding officers found two victims on the ground, identified as a 25-year-old male and a 15-year-old male, when additional gunfire rang out in officers’ direction.

A female CPD officer was struck during the shooting and was able to self-transport to an area hospital for treatment. Officials say that her condition is stabilized. The officer injured during the shooting did not return fire, according to police.

As for the two gunshot wound victims, the 25-year-old male had reportedly been shot multiple times throughout his body. He was transported to University of Chicago Medical Center where he later passed away.

The 15-year-old had also suffered multiple gunshot wounds primarily to his legs. He was transported to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was last listed as being in fair condition.

Area One detectives are investigating the shooting but have not made any arrests, nor have officials come forward with any possible description or motive attributed to the two male victims or police coming under fire.

According to a report from the Chicago Sun Times, the unnamed officer injured during the incident shared the following message after receiving treatment for her wounds:

“I just want to say thank you to everybody that responded, and I’ll be back soon.”

Chicago Police are urging the public to come forward with any information they many have about the incident, which Area One detectives can be reached at 312-747-8380.

Hours before the shooting incident on South Jeffery Boulevard, Chicago Police say that a 37-year-old man was injured in a shooting incident that stemmed from an argument on a CTA bus.

At approximately 7:50 p.m. on September 24th, the victim had gotten onto the #82 bus and had a heated exchange of words with another passenger. During this altercation, the suspect produced a firearm and reportedly shot the victim in his hip.

The victim was transported to Illinois Masonic Hospital, with officials saying he was at first in serious condition but has since been listed as in good condition. Authorities say that they do not have a suspect in custody regarding the shooting.


Gun-controlled Chicago: Suspect out on bail for murder caught with gun a second time while out on bond

(Originally published September 21st, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – A 38-year-old man who was out on bond for a murder charge was arrested this past June for allegedly being in possession of a firearm.

Surprisingly, the suspect was released on bond again for the gun charge – and was arrested again earlier in September for allegedly having another firearm.


On December 26th of 2017, 38-year-old Vincent Davidson was arrested for the murder of 28-year-old Tommie Jones and for the non-fatal shooting of a 26-year-old woman back in October of that year.

According to authorities, the shooting happened at around 10:30 a.m. on October 1st of 2017 within the 2600 block of East 75th Street.

Prosecutors allege that Davidson had walked up to the victims and opened fire, shooting Jones in the head and back multiple times, and shooting the woman in her back, which she survived and later recovered from the shooting.

Two days after being arrested and charged with first-degree murder and aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm in the case, a judge ordered Davidson to be held without bail.

However, in August of 2020, a judge reduced Davidson’s bail to $300,000 and Davidson was later released after posting a $30,000 deposit bond.

On June 1st of 2021, Davidson and two passengers were pulled over for a traffic infraction, and officers reportedly discovered an open bottle of tequila in the vehicle. According to prosecutors, when an officer inquired whether he had anything in his car, Davison replied there was “something” in the center console.


As it would turn out, according to police, that “something” inside of the center console was a loaded 9-millimeter firearm with a laser sight affixed to it.

The $30,000 bail that Davidson paid to get out of jail on the murder charge was described by Judge Mary Marubio as “incredibly hefty” and that the monetary imposition “didn’t move the needle.” She then ordered Davidson to be detained without bail in both the gun and murder cases.

Then, for reasons that are not quite clear, Davidson was released from jail back in August again.

On September 18th, Davidson was again pulled over for a driving infraction. Officers claimed they spotted an open bottle of alcohol in his vehicle again, as well.

Upon further searching of the vehicle, police again reportedly discovered a pistol in his trunk – this time allegedly hosting an automatic firing switch.

He was charged with being a felon in possession of a weapon and resisting arrest, according to prosecutors – same as with the June incident.

On September 19th, Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Davidson to be detained without bail for violating the conditions of his release in the murder case, as well as the terms of his bond in the June gun case.

In the current gun case, she set bail at $200,000 and ordered Davidson to be placed on electronic monitoring if he is released again under any circumstances.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

After 50+ shot and 9 killed in Chicago during weekend, mayor suddenly wants more money for cops

(Originally published September 21st, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – The weekend spanning from the evening of September 17th through the 19th served as another weekend rife with violence in Chicago, as there were a reported over 50 shooting victims with nine people killed.

The news regarding the violent weekend also comes at a time where Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot unveiled her 2022 budget proposal, where Mayor Lightfoot is looking to spend additional funds on law enforcement in light of the concerning level of shootings in the city.


According to the Chicago Police Department, more than 50 individuals were shot, nine of them fatally, in 45 different shooting incidents between 6:00 p.m. on September 17th through 11:59 p.m. on September 19th.

A pair of double murders on the West and South sides, as well as numerous drive-by shootings, were among the occurrences, according to authorities.

A drive-by shooting in the 1900 block of South St. Louis Avenue shortly after midnight on September 18th resulted in two male victims being killed, aged 29 and 34. According to police, a suspect fired a shot from inside a red car before fleeing the area. Both victims were reportedly shot in the head and were pronounced deceased thereafter.

A 31-year-old male was discovered unresponsive in the 200 block of East 121 Place with a gunshot wound to his torso and buttocks less than an hour later, at 12:50 a.m. He was transported to Christ Hospital, where he was declared deceased a short time later.

Following an altercation with a lady in the 3100 block of West Arlington, a 21-year-old male was fatally shot at approximately 2:39 a.m. on September 18th. During the altercation, an unknown male approached the victim and shot him in the chest, arm, and hip several times.

Two other fatal shootings occurred slightly before 4:00 a.m. that same morning. One involved a 33-yearold man being fatally shot while standing next to his vehicle in the 800 block of North Orleans, where authorities say the assailant was inside of a blue SUV during the shooting.

The second around the same time occurred in the 100 block of West 57th Street, where a 27-year-old male tow truck driver was shot numerous times by an unknown assailant while he was trying to provide service.

At approximately 1:25 p.m. on September 19th, a 28-year-old man and a 33-year-old man were fatally shot while standing outside along the 11800 block of South Emerald Avenue. Police say that two unknown shooters approached the men and opened fire before fleeing – leaving both victims with multiple gunshot wounds, including to the head.

In a shooting in the 8300 block of South Vincennes Avenue, one male was killed, and three women were wounded. At approximately 11:35 p.m. on September 19th, all four were in a car when an unidentified passenger of a red van opened fire, killing the male driver.

The car then collided with a steel beam and came to a full halt under a railway bridge, according to police. Two of the women injured were reported as being in critical condition, whereas the third woman was cited as being in fair condition.

Following the weekend of violence, Mayor Lightfoot announced her $16 billion 2022 budget proposal on September 20th, which aims to increase police spending from $1.7 billion to $1.9 billion.


Addressing city leaders during the announcement of her budget proposal, Mayor Lightfoot stated the following regarding safety in the city of Chicago:

“I know that community safety and thriving communities are at the top of all of our minds wherever you live in Chicago.”

“Too often, when we talk about community violence, we forget the victims. We know of them, but they are more than crime statistics. The lives deeply impacted by the violence that once it comes to their doorstep, it lives on in some form forever.”

Aside from increasing police expenditure, the budget plan includes approximately $400 million for community safety, $45 million for violence intervention programs and community organizations, and $10 million for youth diversion programs and wellness programs for Chicago Police officers.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts