Man found guilty of sex crimes against a child drank “cloudy liquid” in courtroom, dies shortly after


DENTON COUNTY, TX – Authorities have confirmed that a Texas man, who was found guilty of sex crimes against a child, collapsed and died after drinking a “cloudy liquid” from a water bottle as a jury found him guilty of child sexual assault.

On Thursday, August 11th, 57-year-old Edward Leclair was found guilty of sexual assault of a child in the 16th District Court at the Denton County courthouse. He was on trial for five counts of sexual abuse and had been freed on bond until the verdict on the 11th.

In an interview with CNN, Denton County Assistant District Attorney Jamie Beck, said in a statement:

“As these verdicts were being read, he chugged a bottle of what he had at [the] counsel table … It wasn’t like he was just taking sips of water. He was literally throwing it back, so to speak.”

Noting that the liquid was cloudy, Beck added:

“Our investigator noticed him chug the water. He told the bailiff he might want to go check on him. The bailiff did. He was unconscious in the holding cell.”

Becker said that Leclair had not been drinking from the water bottle before that point. Becker said that most people in the room did not expect what happened to be a fatal situation.

Leclair’s lawyer, Mike Howard, stated that he saw his client drink from the bottle, but didn’t know what it contained. Howard added:

“Shortly after entering the holdover cell, he started vomiting and emergency services were called.”

The fire department and paramedics responded to the incident, rendering medical aid until Leclair was taken to the hospital. Howard said:

“I saw him being taken out on the gurney. His color and pallor didn’t look good – gray – and then he was taken to the hospital.”

Leclair was later pronounced dead at the hospital. According to reports, Leclair was arrested in 2018 on a $30,000 bond, which he paid soon after.

The Texas Rangers have taken the bottle into evidence for further investigation. An autopsy was ordered and as of this writing, the cause of his death is still listed as pending.

In a separate incident, a Shreveport, Louisiana man has been found guilty of attempting to rape his pre-teen relative and then threatening her to keep her silent.

On Tuesday, August 10th, 58-year-old Roosevelt Horton was found guilty of a sexual assault that occurred between April 19, 2010 – April 18 2011, involving Horton and his pre-teen relative.

A jury of seven women and five men deliberated for four hours before returning the guilty verdict.

The assault reportedly happened on the 700 block of Woodmont Place in Hyde Park when Horton sexually assaulted his pre-teen relative and threatened to harm her if she told anyone about the assault.

The child told Horton’s spouse what happened and the spouse cautioned the girl not to speak about the assault. When the victim was 16-years-old, she attempted suicide and a friend, who she had confided in, told the victim’s mother about the assault.

The victim’s mother immediately notified the Shreveport Police Department (SPD) and an investigation led to the arrest of Horton for aggravated rape.

Horton’s spouse, who discouraged the victim from coming forward about the assault, had passed away before the assault was investigated. Horton returns to court on August 17th for his sentencing. He faces a sentence of 10 to 50 years in prison.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Former high school and elementary school teacher arrested on allegations of sex crimes with young students

June 23rd, 2022

GILBERT, AZ- According to reports, a former Higley High School teacher has been arrested for engaging in “inappropriate relationships” with young students.

The alleged predator, identified as 35-year-old Aaron Dunton, was taken into custody on Thursday, June 16th, by Gilbert police after a former student made allegations against Dunton when he taught at Power Ranch Elementary School.

Authorities stated that the student was just 11-years-old at the time that Dunton allegedly committed sex crime against the minor in 2019.

The former teacher is facing four counts of aggravated assault, one count of witness tampering, and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. After being arrested, he was booked into the Maricopa County Jail.

According to his records, Dunton started working at Higley High School in July 2021 after he taught at Power Ranch Elementary School for the five previous school years.

Dunton was also a volunteer softball coach and assistant football coach. The Higley Unified School District (HUSD) released a statement that said, in part:

“We are extremely disappointed and troubled by this news. Please know that we take all allegations of employees misconduct very seriously and providing a safe learning environment is always a top priority for our district.”

In response to these allegations, the Higley Unified Schools Governing Board will be launching an independent investigation surrounding the arrest of Dunton.

Dunton was arrested on allegations involving an inappropriate relationship with a 14-year-old student at Higley High School. He resigned from his position at Higley High School in April when the investigation first launched.

It was during that investigation that authorities uncovered the alleged inappropriate relationship with an 11-year-old student at Power Ranch Elementary.

During a board meeting on Wednesday, June 22nd, district leaders announced plans to hire a lawyer to open an investigation surrounding what the district new about Dunton’s alleged sex crimes. HUSD Board President Amy Kaylor said in a statement:

“The HUSD Governing Board, Dr. Foley, and the district administration remain extremely concerned about the allegations.”

This announcement to start an independent investigation comes after teachers said they did report Dunton’s alleged actions to school administrators at both Higley and Power Ranch nearly two dozen times, but no action was every taken. Kaylor added:

“We are very concerned about these accusations regarding this former employee. The district has hired an outside attorney to investigate and help our district in all of these matters.”

The district stated that it will be looking into when allegations were made, what school leaders were made aware of, and what actions were taken.

According to reports, before his employment with HUSD, he worked for six years at the University of Phoenix as an enrollment adviser and as a part-time coach at Kyrene School District from February 2011 – May 2015.

Dunton is married and has a young daughter. Some have criticized HUSD for only alerting Higley High School parents about him. One man said:

“I feel it should have been sent to all of Higley School District as the person being investigated also taught at Power Ranch Elementary. Why not make sure there isn’t more to know and offer counseling to anyone effected?”

The man added:

“The way the letter reads they make it sound like the teacher was a former teacher having a relationship with a student when the fact is he was teaching and coaching up until last week. This is important information for the community to know.”

Apparently, Dunton’s behavior was known among students at Higley High. One 16-year-old student said:

“I had him last year as a teacher and he was really weird. Everyone said he stared at girls. There has been so many girls reporting him to administration … they didn’t have proof, just hearsay.”

Gilbert police are encouraging any additional victims or witnesses to contact the department at 480-503-6500.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Convicted felon with ‘lengthy criminal record’ was out on parole when arrested for fatally shooting his neighbor

May 23rd, 2022

ATLANTA, GA- According to a report from Fox News, a convicted felon with a “lengthy criminal record” was out on parole when he allegedly fatally shot his neighbor during a verbal altercation.

Authorities reported that the suspect, 35-year-old Lamarion Sharod Banks of Griffin, part of the Atlanta metropolitan area, was on active parole at the time of his arrest on Friday, May 20th for the murder of 46-year-old Rafaeil Thomas.

According to the Griffin Police Department (GPD), officers responded to the 100 block of West Tinsley Street around 7 p.m. to calls about a person that had been shot.

GPD’s statement indicated that upon arrival, officers round Thomas, who had been shot in the upper body. Thomas was transported to a nearby hospital where he later died from his injuries.

Witnesses reportedly told police that prior to the shooting, Thomas and Banks had been arguing. However, as of this writing, investigators are still reviewing all the evidence for a possible motive.

According to GPD, police obtained a search warrant for Banks’ address located just a few doors down on the same street. Upon executing the warrant, police found a 9mm handgun with the same type of brand and ammunition recovered from the scene of the shooting.

Banks was arrested without incident and has been charged with malice murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

In a separate incident, a metro Atlanta family is frustrated that a convicted felon is still on the run two weeks after allegedly killing their son at a College Park apartment complex.

Arfederick Magby Sr. says that a parent should never have to bury a child, but that is exactly what he had to do and to make matters worse the man who police claim pulled the trigger is still not in custody. Magby said in a statement:

“I’m devastated right now. I’ve just been crying – I haven’t been to work.”

Reportedly, the deadly incident happened on May 2nd during the night at the Park Place Apartments on Godby Road. “Little Fred,” as the victim was called by family and friends, had taken his cousin to her friend’s apartment.

His father believes that his son had no idea what type of danger he would soon encounter. Magby said:

“I do think maybe little Fred dealt with the girl or something since it was her friend, but I don’t think he was in no serious relationship.”

That friend had two children by suspect Dontavius Carr. Police stated that when Carr arrived at the apartment complex, he started shooting at “Little Fred” Magby in front of the two children. The father said:

“I think she had a crazy kid’s father that may have felt as though they had something serious going on when he saw them.”

“Little Fred” was rushed to a nearby hospital, but he did not survive his injuries. College Park Police have been searching for Carr, who they described as a convicted felon. Magby said:

“It’s real frustrating. I thought maybe immediately … we immediately had the picture, the Instagram all that but still nothing. It’s been two weeks – two weeks.”

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of Carr is encouraged to contact the College Park Police.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Convicted felon charged with attempted murder after attacking cop with a baseball bat, trying to bash in his head

March 15th, 2022

EL CAJON, CA – A convicted felon is in custody for the attempted murder of a police officer by trying to hit him in the head with an aluminum baseball bat on March 4th.

An officer with the El Cajon Police Department responded to a Walmart in the Parkway Plaza on Fletcher Parkway just before 4 pm for a report of a man trying to steal sporting goods.

The loss prevention officer for Walmart had alleged that the suspect was threatening customers and employees while trying to steal multiple items from inside the store.

When an officer arrived on the scene, the unidentified officer made contact with the suspect, identified as 26-year-old Julian Sebastien Kurko, who was exiting the store armed with a bat.

The officer apparently attempted to defuse the situation with Kurko as he could be heard asking him if they could both sit down and talk on the body-worn camera footage released by the agency.

El Cajon Police Lieutenant Randy Soulard reported the officer could be heard saying:

“Hi there, man. Can we just sit down for a second and talk about what’s going on?”

Kurko refused to sit down with the officer and allegedly started to approach the officer in a threatening manner.

The officer can be heard ordering Kurko to drop the bat three times before he can be seen on the body-worn camera charging at the officer while getting ready to swing the bat.

Kurko got close to the officer and swung the bat in the direction of the officer’s head. The officer was able to use his arm to deflect the hit and a struggle ensued as the officer attempted to defend himself and take Kurko into custody.

As the officer attempted to take him into custody, Kurko could be heard telling the officer several times:

“I want to kill you, bro.”

The officer was able to gain control of Kurko and take him into custody after additional officers arrived on the scene to assist. El Cajon Police Lieutenant Will Guerin said:

“Once other officers arrived on scene, the suspect was handcuffed and placed under arrest, but continued to violently struggle, at which time he was placed into further restraints to protect his safety and the safety of the officers.”

The El Cajon Police Officer suffered what was reported as minor injuries during the attack and has already returned to full duty. There is no report if Kurko suffered any injuries while he was attacking the officer.

Kurko was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of a police officer and armed robbery. He was transported to the San Diego County Jail where he is currently in custody.

The El Cajon Police Department reported that Kurko has had a violent history in the past, specifically against police officers. They reported that Kurko has three felony convictions for violent crimes between 2014 and 2019. Of those, two of the felony convictions were by victimizing police officers.

Officer brutally attacked by man while protecting children at a school crosswalk

ORLANDO, FL – An Orlando Police officer was attacked while covering a school crossing guard location on February 10th.

Officers were able to eventually subdue the attacker and take him to jail.


An Orlando Police officer was assigned to cover a school crossing guard post, which usually is a rather boring assignment.

However, in this case, 33-year-old James Mossetty apparently did not like the fact that there was a police officer in the area and began banging on his marked police car while the officer was inside.

The unidentified officer called for assistance while he exited his vehicle to deal with Mossetty. As the officer tried to talk with Mossetty, he allegedly attacked the officer which led the two of them to fight.

The Orlando Police Department reported that the physical attack from Mossetty was so intense that the officer had difficulty providing updates on the police radio.

Officer Michelle Rogers of the Orlando Police Department reported that detectives with their Real-Time Crime Center were able to pull up the officer’s live body camera and update responding officers.

The officer fired both cartridges on his department-issued Taser which had little to no effect on Mossetty, who continued his violent attacks until additional officers arrived on the scene to assist.

Once officers arrived, they were able to subdue Mossetty who was arrested and charged with aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, hindering police communications, and resisting officers with violence.

Mossetty was transported to a nearby hospital where he was treated for what is described as minor injuries. When he was released from the hospital, he was turned over to the Orange County Jail where he is currently being held.

The officer was also transported to a local hospital where he was treated for what was described as minor injuries. The officer was treated and released according to Officer Rogers.

The Orlando Police Department has not released any information up to this point as to what caused Mossetty to allegedly attack the officer as he sat in his marked police car.

However, they did note that Mossetty has a history of being violent towards law enforcement officers.

Recent encounters with Mossetty began in October of 2021 when he refused to leave the Orlando Regional Medical Center Emergency room.

When the officers arrived at the hospital, they ordered him to leave the property several times and he refused.

His continued refusals forced officers to arrest him for trespassing and he was transported to the Orange County jail and booked. Mossetty was released from jail on that charge four days after being arrested, October 16th.

Instead of leaving on his own, as most people would do, he refused to leave the jail and instead took a fighting stance with a deputy.

Mossetty then allegedly pushed the deputy with both of his hands and as the deputy attempted to arrest him, he began to run away.

The deputy and correctional staff from the jail were able to catch up to Mossetty and take him to the ground so they could gain control over him. When on the ground, Mossetty began to brace and put his arms under his chest preventing the deputy from taking him into custody.

The corrections officer then used a department-issued Taser and delivered a drive stun to his back. When Mossetty was Tased, the deputy was able to gain compliance and place him under arrest without further incident.

Mossetty received what appeared to be minor injuries and was transported to the Orlando Regional Medical Center for treatment. While there, he allegedly threw a sandwich at a deputy and later tried to kick the deputy while he was attempting to take his picture.

Mossetty was eventually controlled and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting an officer with violence, trespassing on property after a verbal warning, and assault on a law enforcement officer.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts