Man who police say shot and killed a police officer was out on parole – here’s your California ‘prison reform’


STOCKTON, CA – The now-deceased suspect authorities say killed Stockton Police Officer Jimmy Inn earlier in May was reportedly out on parole at the time of the fatal shooting.

Authorities say that Officer Inn was responding to a domestic violence call at a residence located within the 4400 block of La Cresta Way on May 11th when the fatal shooting occurred.

Officer Inn was reportedly approaching the front door of the residence when the suspect, identified as 30-year-old Lance Lowe, opened fire – fatally striking the officer.

Shortly thereafter, Officer Pancho Freer had responded to the scene and exchanged gunfire with Lowe, according to officials. The suspect was said to have retreated back into the residence, later reemerging with his 8-year-old son that he was reportedly strangling.

Police say that a bystander had tackled Lowe and rescued the child. Officer Freer opened fire on Lowe again, which the suspect was said to have later died at the hospital from the sustained gunshot wound.

Hours after the fatal shooting, Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones stated the following about the incident:

“It was a violent, blatant and very sudden assault on our police officer.”

While the suspect is deceased, reports have surfaced showing that Lowe had been granted parole back in April of 2020.

Lowe had been given a five-year sentence out of Los Angeles County back in March of 2018 for grand theft auto with use of a firearm.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation records showed that Lowe had been given 820 pre-sentencing credits and 37 post-sentencing credits, which afforded his release back in April of 2020.

However, officials say that Lowe did serve his full sentence as prescribed by law, as the pre-sentencing credits were doled out due to Lowe having served time in jail while awaiting trial.

Officer Inn’s father, Phalyl Lee Inn, expressed feelings of wishing he could trade places with his son:

“I’d rather it would’ve been me and not my son because I’m older, and he had so much ahead of him.”

Phalyl Lee would like to see some changes within the Stockton Police protocols for officers responding to calls, specifically regarding how quickly additional officers can arrive on a call such as the one where his son was killed:

“Modify maybe, even though it might take a minute for another officer to arrive, to make sure that it’s more secure, maybe that the city might have to take that as consideration.”

The widow of the fallen officer, Tela Inn, says that the loss of her husband is still surreal:

“I just feel like I’m in a fog. It doesn’t feel real. They brought his car home last night and I saw it parked in the garage, but I knew he wasn’t going to be inside the house.”

Officer Inn served the Stockton Police since December of 2015, serving as a member of the department’s honor guard and assigned to the filed operations division.

He is survived by his wife, a 7-month-old son and his two stepchildren.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Earlier in May, we at Law Enforcement Today reported on the fatal shooting of two Texas sheriff’s deputies who were responding to a reported dog complaint. 

Here’s that previous report. 


EDEN, TX – A Concho County Sheriff’s sergeant and deputy were killed following a standoff involving a barricaded suspect that officials say originated as deputies responding to an alleged dog complaint on the evening of May 10th.

The slain Concho County Sheriff’s Office have since been identified as Deputy Samuel Leonard and Sergeant Stephen Jones.

According to officials, CCSO deputies had responded to a reported dog complaint at approximately 8:40 p.m. on the evening of May 10th at a home located within the 100 block of Bryan Street.

While investigating the complaint, deputies made contact with an individual identified by officials as 28-year-old Jeffrey Nichols.

While limited details have been revealed on how the matter escalated, officials say that some sort of altercation ensued that resulted in shots being fired.

Officials say that Nichols had barricaded himself inside of a residence, with a standoff lasting approximately 30 minutes.

Jeffrey Nicholas - courtesy of the Tom Green County Jail
Jeffrey Nicholas – courtesy of the Tom Green County Jail

During the incident, Deputy Leonard and Sergeant Jones were fatally shot by the suspect, according to investigators. A third individual, identified as a City of Eden employee, was also shot in the stomach during the incident.

The current status of the Eden city employee injured is unknown as of this writing.

After the standoff came to an end, Nichols was taken into custody. News outlet San Angelo LIVE reported that Eden Mayor Pete Torres had convinced the suspect to surrender to authorities.

Nichols has been charged with two counts of capital murder of a peace officer and had his bail set at $4 million between both of the counts.

Sergeant Jones had served the CCSO for eight years prior to his passing, while Deputy Leonard served with the department for 18 months.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott shared the following statement about the slaying of the deputies on Twitter, writing:

“Our hearts go out to the family & friends of 2 Concho County Sheriff’s deputies who were killed in the line of duty last night. This terrible loss is a solemn reminder of the risks our brave law enforcement officers face while protecting our communities.”

District 11 Congressman August Pfluger also shared his condolences regarding the fatal shooting of the deputies, noting the following: 

“Camille and I are absolutely devastated by the news that two of our Concho County Sheriff’s deputies were killed in the line of duty last night in Eden. 

“These officers protected the community until the very end—defending our freedoms, values, and safety.”

“Though we are unable to thank them for their sacrifice, we will never stop honoring their legacy and service. We join with our Concho County neighbors in mourning the loss of these heroes. 

“Please keep our entire law enforcement community in your prayers.”

A procession occurred on the day following the fatal shooting of the deputies, as their bodies were transported a forensic lab in Lubbock where an autopsy will be performed. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts