Man tackles 350 pound bear, punches it in the face repeatedly to save his best friend – a dog


GRASS VALLEY, CA – A man in Grass Valley, California let his beloved dog out to play, not dreaming that there was a predator nearby that wanted to eat him. 

The man heard a strange noise and looked out to see that a large bear had begun to attack his dog. 

The man, reacting out of instinct, attacked the bear until he let the dog go.

Kaleb Benham recounted the scary experience by saying:

“I heard a growl, looked about 75-100 feet down, and the bear was dragging him by his head, had his head in his mouth.  Honestly the only thing I could think of was ‘save my baby.’  I just ran down there, plowed into the bear, tackled it and grabbed it by the throat and started hitting it in the face and the eye until it let go.”

Through Benham’s actions, the bear let go of his dog and both fled for their lives.  Once Benham and his dog were able to get to safety, he realized how badly injured his dog was and he knew he needed to get it to a veterinary quickly if he was going to save his life.

Benham contacted the local veterinary clinic and learned that it was closed because of positive COVID-19 case.  He then reached out to another clinic, Mother Lode Veterinary Hospital in Grass Valley, and learned that they were open.  He said:

“My first thought was that I was going to lose him.”

He rushed his injured dog to the animal hospital and they immediately put his dog, Buddy, into surgery.  The veterinary had to staple, stitch, and insert tubes inside of Buddy’s head so that it would drain from all of the swelling created from the bear attack.  Benham, feeling helpless since all he could do was watch, said:

“I just stood there and watched through the window for 3 ½ hours.”

Thankfully, Buddy made it through the surgery just fine and is now recovering.  Buddy received numerous injuries to his body, including a bite close to his eye as well as a hole through his lip. 

Buddy also had to have his ears stapled back onto his body.  Now Buddy is forced to wear a cone to prevent him from doing anything that would cause further damage to his healing body.  While it may take time for Buddy to recover from all of his injuries, Benham received good news.

Buddy, thankfully, is expected to make a full recovery and be up to playing again soon.  Sadly, Benham believes that the bear that attacked Buddy in the first place has returned around his home several times since the initial attack.  Benham fears that the bear will come back to finish what he started.  Benham said:

“It [the bear] made an attack and had it’s food and it’s food got taken from it and it wants it back, I feel like.”

When asked what he would do if the same situation presents itself, Benham answered quickly that he would do whatever it is he could to ensure Buddy was safe.  He added:

“If it was your kid, what would you do.  That’s my kid, I would die for my dog.”

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife report that California is home to one species of bear, which is the black bear.  The population for that bear is estimated to be anywhere between 25,000 and 30,000 in the state.

They report that adult black female bears weigh anywhere between 100 to 200 pounds and adult males weigh anywhere between 150-350 pounds.  However, there are some cases in which adult male black bears can grow as large as 600 pounds.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Mother shields baby during plane crash, sacrifices her own life to save the child

October 17, 2020

COLOMBIA – A mother’s love is something that can never be underestimated. Mothers always tell their children that they would do anything for them, and, thankfully, most of us never realize how far they will go.

Sadly, in Colombia, a mother sacrificed her life in order to save her baby’s as the plane the family was traveling in crashed.

A well-known doctor from Bogota, Colombia, Fabio Grandas, was flying a HK2335-G aircraft on October 13th with his wife, Mayerly Diaz Rojas, their baby, and the family’s nanny, Nuris Maza.  The group had decided to fly from Santa Marta to the Guaymaral airport. 

Initial reports seem to indicate that Grandas, known as an experienced pilot, had no difficulties during the flight until they neared the city of Ubate.  Grandas declared an emergency as the plane started to lose altitude and ultimately crashed in the Novilleros area.

Rojas must have known that the plane was crashing and took her baby, Martin, and used her body to take the impact and shield as much of it as her body could take from the baby.  Miraculously, the move worked, and Martin survived when no one else in the plane did. 

Witnesses to the crash called emergency authorities to report the incident and have rescue personnel respond just after 5pm.  Upon their arrival, they were able to get to the wreckage and began looking for survivors.

Rescue members located the bodies of Grandas, Maza, and Rojas.  Rescue personnel found the infant, Martin, alive and still clutched in his mother’s arms.  It appears as if Rojas knew the plane was going down and used her body to shield Martin from most of the impact of the crash, thus, saving his life.

Medics stated that Martin did not seem to sustain any serious injuries and was transported to the Fundacion Santa Fe de Bogota Hospital for treatment.  He was later transferred to the Marly Clinic in Chia according to El Tiempo and was last listed in stable condition. 

The victims’ names were released shortly after the identities were confirmed and the news of the death was taken hard by the medical community.  Grandas’ death was viewed as a “huge loss for medicine in Colombia.”

Grandas was a member of the Air Patrol which travels to remote areas of the country to render medical aid.  The Air Patrol paid tribute to all of the victims of the crash.

Colombia’s Civil Aviation Authority will be investigating the cause of the crash which will likely take significant time to be completed. In the meantime, they issued a statement that read that they wanted to express “solidarity with the families of the victims.”

They stated:

“According to initial information, the plane had all of its technical documentation up to date.”

Sadly, this is not the first plane crash this year in Colombia or in recent years.  The Colombian Bureau of Aircraft Accidents reported several plane crashes in recent years, including two others in 2020, one of them claimed four lives.

Prior to these events, the Country also suffered significant loss when a plane carrying Brazil’s Chapecoense Real soccer team to a game in Medellin struck treetops while descending.  This caused the plane to crash, killing 71 people on board and leaving six survivors. 

In that incident, the charter plane was carrying 68 passengers and nine crew members when it took off from the Viru Viru airport in Santa Cruz.  The plane struck the treetops as it made its approach to the Jose Maria Cordova International Airport in Rionegro.

The team was headed to the area to play against the Atletico Nacional of Medellin in the first part of the Sudamericana final.  The team had reached its final of a major South American club competition. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts