Police arrest man found sleeping in Waffle House parking lot – caught with drugs, guns


NASHVILLE, TN – A man who decided to take a nap in his vehicle in a Waffle House parking lot ended up in jail after police located drugs and guns in his vehicle.

At approximately 5:30 am on September 27th , Nashville Metro Police responded to the Waffle House on Trinity Lane after receiving a tip from a citizen that there was a shotgun visible under the sleeping man’s legs.  In addition, the person reported that material appearing to be marijuana was also visible on the passenger seat.

Seized contraband
Photo credit: Nashville.gov

When police arrived, they observed the male, later identified as Ralph Cole, passed out or sleeping behind the wheel.  For officer safety reasons, officers removed the shotgun and marijuana that they observed in plain view prior to waking the man.

Officers seized three pounds of marijuana, 55 grams of methamphetamine, 29 assorted pills  believed to be a narcotic, 4.5 grams of Ecstasy, ¾ of a pound of alleged psilocybin mushrooms and just under $2,000 in cash.  Cole denied that the items belonged to him. 

Seized contraband
Photo credit: Nashville.gov

Cole reportedly told officers that he was traveling home from what was described as a “hippie concert” when he stopped and took a nap.  He was placed under arrest and his vehicle seized since it was used in the commission of a felony.

Seized contraband
Photo credit: Nashville.gov

Cole was charged drug possession and weapons violation. He was being held on a $128,000 bond.

At another Waffle House, police responded to a brawl over a cell phone that was reported on September 21st.  A Twitter user first posted the viral video which showed the mayhem in action. 

The video begins with three customers, two women, one in and yellow shirt and one with red hair, and a man, all yelling at a Waffle House employee.  The man was demanding his cell phone which was apparently in the hands of the employee for unknown reasons.

The woman said to the employee:

“Ring that one up so we can pay for that one and then you can put up that phone.”

When the employee was unwilling to give up the phone and complete the transaction, the incident takes a turn for the worse.  The man runs around the counter and tries grabbing the phone out of the employee’s hands. 

Both women decided to jump into the fight over the phone.  Seeing the fight, two Waffle House employees then joined in as well.

An employee not involved in the altercation attempts to call 911.  The woman in yellow grabs the phone out of the employee’s hand to prevent her from calling the police, which results in a physical fight between the employee calling 911 and the woman in yellow.

During the altercation, the woman in yellow’s shirt rolls down and her wig flies off, and she begins shouting:

“We gotta go, we got coke!  We gotta get our phone and we gotta go.”

The woman in yellow attempts to leave before the police arrive while still engaged with the employee and yells:

“Get off me, whore!  Get the hell off of me, [expletive]!

The group then flees the store before police arrive on scene.  What caused the fight?  We do not know for sure, but there is speculation that they were attempting to leave the store without paying for their meals and had left the cell phone behind. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.Police arrest man found sleeping in Waffle House parking lot - caught with drugs, guns

Massive raid in Democrat-run Philly has 35 arrested, illegal guns, drugs and cash seized

PHILADELPHIA, PA – It’s being described as a massive bust.

Illegal guns and thousands of doses of deadly fentanyl were taken off the street last week when law enforcement officers arrested 35 people, according to state officials. 

KYWs Crime and Justice reporter Kristen Johanson also reported that the bust prevented 5 shootings.  This is the largest Kensington Initiative Operation to date.

According to Attorney General Josh Shapiro, his Office seized 20 guns, $480,000 in cash, 23,000 doses of fentanyl, 26,000 doses of cocaine, and 174 bottles of xylazine in the Kensington Initiative’s latest operation.

The law enforcement action is the result of an 8-month targeted investigation into three drug trafficking organizations in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia.

The Kensington Initiative is a unique partnership between with local, state, and federal law enforcement to target major criminal drug organizations in the Kensington neighborhood.

The Kensington Initiative is an investigation launched by the Attorney General to make Pennsylvania, and particularly the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, a safer place to live.

Drugs sold by the groups have been located as far away as Delaware, New York, New Jersey and Virginia as well as Pennsylvania, he said. Shapiro also released the names of almost three dozen people he said were among those arrested.

Among the items confiscated were, “Three AR rifles, one mini AK-47, three shotguns, 13 handguns,” Shapiro said. As well as a “massive network” of fentanyl and a horse tranquilizer called Xylazine, he continued.

“We saw how within a matter of hours, one of these defendants could sell 400 to 1,000 bundles of fentanyl for redistribution across our city and bring in $25,000 to $40,000,” Shapiro added.

Ten of the people arrested are being held on more than $2 million bail, and eight of them are being held on $1 million bail.

“Consistent, fair and effective prosecution must remain paramount to ensure that individuals don’t revictimize communities or become victims themselves. There has to be accountability,” said Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw.

Two shootings in early August were linked to this operation.

Meanwhile, crime continues to rage out of control in the besieged city. The FBI is looking for the criminals who’ve robbed more than a dozen pharmacies in the Pennsylvania and Maryland areas. They are offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to their arrest.

Philadelphia is the Democratic stronghold of the state, often delivering huge margins for the Democrats in statewide elections.

Like many other cities run by Democrats crime is on the rise.

The total number of homicide victims this year (just 9 months in), is more than in an average year and the Philadelphia Police are saying that it could easily hit 450 by the end of the year.

The last Republican Mayor was Barney Samual who served from 1941 to 1952.  In 2019 the current mayor easily won re-election with 80.33% of the vote.  This, even though violent crime continues to be an issue in this historic and once beautiful city.

The Kensington Initiative seems to be a small step in the right direction. 

In 2019, Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced that his law enforcement officials arrested 14 individuals and seized 6 kilos of heroin/fentanyl, 2 kilos of cocaine, 5 handguns, one rifle, $200,000 in cash, a kilo press, scales, and packaging equipment in the largest Kensington Initiative operation to date.

That was the previous largest operation.

“Kensington is a neighborhood ravaged by the heroin, opioid, and fentanyl epidemic, and criminal organizations such as the one we shut down today are fueling the crisis,” said Attorney General Josh Shapiro after the 2019 raid.

“While the ringleaders were jetting off to award shows and expensive restaurants, they were also ravaging the lives of those in our community.

I’m grateful for the hard work of our law enforcement partners in the Kensington Initiative to shut down this dangerous organization and make our streets safer for the families, children, and seniors who live there.”

While Shapiro is staunchly in the progressive “take guns away from everyone and give them all a counseler” corner of the political spectrum, he is at least trying to round up dangerous criminals and get them off of the streets.

In a statement from his office, Shapiro said:

 “Operations like this are where progressive reform and public safety meet.  For essential reform efforts to work, from violence prevention outreach and stronger social services, to mental health and treatment programs — they need to have space to take root, and thrive.”

In the meantime in the city, crime is exploding, and with it the number of shootings and homicides related to shootings.

Now, city leaders and police are asking people to look around their homes for guns and surrender them anonymously, according to the Washington Times. Because apparently at least in Philadelphia, people have guns around their houses they are unaware of.

The Times reported that the city is once again having a gun turn-in program—not a buyback, a turn-in.

City council members and the Philadelphia Police Department announced Thursday that there were going to be two locations where guns would be accepted, no questions asked.

This is part of the city’s Home Gun Check Program. Last December, dozens of guns were recovered when the program was initially run.

With the explosion in gun violence, city officials hope that residents will search their houses for random guns, and then turn in guns they find or otherwise do not want, at two church locations. The guns will then be collected by police.

CBS 3 in Philadelphia noted that bullets do not discriminate, and the city has been experiencing that this summer.


On August 1, 7-year-old Zamar Jones was killed, while less than a week later, a 6-year-old girl was struck by a stray bullet that was fired into a crowd. Last weekend, two more children were struck by stray bullets.

City councilmember Cindy Bass said, “Get those guns, run that room, see what’s in there. Find out what’s being hidden in your house. Take it out and turn it in.”

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said, “It must be stressed that community members who submit firearms will not be asked to produce identification.

In addition, the submission of a firearm will not trigger an investigation of the person who relinquished it.

While this is not a buyback program, organizers are hoping to appeal to someone’s conscience. Clearly, someone who fired a bullet that struck a child likely does not have much of a conscience.

“You can possibly save their life and the lives of other people,” said Rev. Gregory Holsten of Janes Memorial United Methodist Church.

“You might be saving your own child’s life because gun violence is as dangerous as coronavirus,” Councilmember Curtis Jones said.

This past week, the Philadelphia City Council sponsored a two-day emergency gun violence hearing, as the number of shootings in the “City of Brotherly Love” has exploded to over 1,100, while homicides are up to 260—each equaling about a 30% increase year over year compared to 2019.

Outlaw said during the hearing that despite the coronavirus pandemic, officers in the city are still confiscating an average of about 77 guns per week. Last year, the department averaged around 80 guns per week.

Outlaw, who took over as head of the police department earlier this year, noted that Philadelphia is second only to Chicago as of this month in the increasing number of homicides.

The gun turn-in program apparently needs some work, as the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that five people, including three teenagers were shot in the city just before midnight Saturday. The incident occurred as an outdoor gathering of primarily young people turned violent, with several people shooting at police, authorities said.

The victims, who ranged in age from 16 to 26 all received non-life-threatening injuries, according to Outlaw, who spoke to reporters just before 2 a.m. on Sunday, while visiting the shooting scene. No officers were injured, nor did any fire their weapons police said later in the morning.

“It’s disturbing, it’s disheartening,” Outlaw said in the midst of another violent holiday weekend.

Police reported six more shootings over the next 4-1/2 hours, two of which resulted in deaths.

Outlaw noted that police were already in the area at around 11:30 p.m., in anticipation of a separate event that was taking place nearby. Officers saw what appeared to be a muzzle flash and heard a “boom,” and almost at the same time heard gunshots from a different type of weapon, Outlaw said.

Officials gave an update Sunday afternoon and said that officers had responded to a 911 call reporting a person with a gun. On arrival, they found a crowd of over 200 people; at that time “several males began shooting at the police,” the update said.

When officers went toward the gunshots, they found some of the wounded.

Investigators said they found 28 AR-15 rounds and 10 40-caliber rounds at the scene of the shooting, in an update given to reporters Sunday afternoon, which confirmed Outlaw’s belief that there were different weapons involved. One of the shooting victims had a magazine in his possession, police said.

“Right now, we’re trying to piece it all together,” Outlaw told reporters when asked what prompted the shootings.

Philadelphia Police said that one 18-year-old male was shot once in the left ankle, while a 21-year-old male was shot twice in the right side. Hospital officials at Temple University Hospital said that both were in stable condition Sunday afternoon.

In addition, a 26-year-old man was shot in the left calf, a 16-year-old male was shot once in the right shoulder, and a 19-year old female was shot once in the left leg; all were listed in stable condition at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Last weekend, police reported 25 people shot in the city, including two 11-year-olds and six other at a playground in the vicinity of the Philadelphia Zoo.

This was just another in a long-line of violent weekends in Philadelphia, with a 17-year-old male shot once in the chest on Friday night, killing him.

The police department reported nine other shootings with 10 victims between 9:30 p.m. Friday and 6:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. One victim, and 18-year-old was shot nine times, and was listed in critical condition Saturday at Temple University Hospital.

Yet another man was murdered Saturday night, when a man believed to be 20 years old  was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. Police did not make any arrests in that incident.

Just another weekend in a major American city in 2020.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First



Submit a Correction
Related Posts