Man puts up pool for homeless people in Portland, gets stabbed to death the next day


PORTLAND, OR- According to authorities, a man who put together a pop-up swimming pool to help keep the homeless cool during the recent 100-degree plus heat wave, has been fatally stabbed in the same spot just one day after putting up the pool. 

The Portland Tribune reported that officers have identified Tyson L. Morlock as the individual who was found stabbed to death.

Morlock was found in the inner east side Hosford-Abernethy neighborhood at Division Street and Southeast Martine Luther King Jr. Boulevard around 3:37 a.m. on Thursday, July 1st. Morlock was transported to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy and determined that Morlock died from a stab wound. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Just one day earlier, on June 30th, 27-year-old Morlock had been interviewed by a freelance journalist on assignment for Reuters media outlet. The reporter, Sergio Olmos, had tweeted:

“Climate change and inequality: Tyson Morlock hooked up a pool to a fire hydrant under an overpass in Portland where temperatures reached 116 degrees Fahrenheit.”

The tweet then added a quote from Morlock:

“There’s not a lot of places you can go in the community where you can be safe.”

Reportedly, Morlock hooked up the pop-up pool to a fire hydrant at the Division Street underpass of Highway 99E. Olmos said:

“Morlock said he ‘tried to steak’ a slurpee from 7-Eleven this weekend, but the clerk wouldn’t let him. He’s like ‘just take it man, it’s hot outside'”

KOIN 6 News reported that nearly 100 people in Oregon have died in the heat and that the impact on the homeless community is still unknown. The pop-up pool that Morlock setup is now deflated, but while it was up it was full of water and campers trying to stay cool in the record heat.

Patrick, who also goes by the name Ninja, told reporters that a camper from another spot gave them the pool. He said:

“We set up some rules that you’d find at your typical public pool. No weapons, no drugs, no smoking, no violence, keep your problems away from here.”

Patrick added that he was grateful for the pop-up pool:

“It definitely is a blessing when it’s 107 degrees out. I’ve had heat stroke before and I don’t want to ever get it again.”

In Multnomah County alone, the medical examiner reported at least 59 people died from the excessive heat. Multnomah County Communications Director Julie Sullivan-Springhetti said that out of the 59 people, it is not yet known how many of them were homeless. She said:

“The overwhelming majority died in their homes, but at this stage we are not able to release the exact number of people experiencing homelessness because of missing information.”

Homicide detectives said that the person who stabbed Morlock remained at the scene and was interviewed. They stated:

“He has not been charged at this time and we are not releasing his name.”

Detectives and the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office are actively working on the case as police have not yet detailed the circumstances of the stabbing.

Anyone with any information about the stabbing is urged to contact Detective Jeffrey Pontius at [email protected] or 503-823-0433 or Detective Travis Law at [email protected] or 503-823-0395.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police-defunded LA: Cops searching for man who stabbed a homeless woman in her head as she slept

May 20th, 2021

LOS ANGELES, CA – The Los Angeles Police Department are actively searching for a male suspect that was caught on surveillance footage stabbing a homeless woman in the head while she was sleeping just after midnight on May 18th.

Authorities say the attack transpired at approximately 12:02 a.m. on May 18th near the intersection of San Pedro in 25th in South Los Angeles. Video of the incident shows the suspect walk up to the victim while she slept, where the suspect then stabs the knife downward into the victim’s head.

The woman had awoken from the attack, after the suspect had fled, and pulled the knife out of her head. Authorities described the weapon used as a steel kitchen knife.

A passerby had reportedly called the police following the incident, with paramedics from the Los Angeles Fire Department responding to the scene to tend to the victim.

The victim in this case was transported to an area hospital and was last listed in critical condition.

Residents nearby to where where the crime occurred noted that the victim is known throughout the area and that she typically kept to herself, with some commenting that she was known to feed a couple of stray dogs in the neighborhood.

Police are urging the public to come forward with any information they may have about the incident or the at large suspect.

Authorities have described the suspect as either a black or Hispanic male, aged anywhere between 30 to 40 years old and standing at about 5 feet 10 inches and weighing approximately 185 pounds.

The suspect was last seen wearing face covering, a black long sleeve hooded sweatshirt, dark blue pants, black shoes, and one glove on his right hand.

Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact Newton Area Detective Galvan or Officer Fuentes at (323) 846-6566.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other news regarding at-large suspects, authorities in Houston are still searching for the man caught on video attacking an elderly man who runs a used car dealership earlier in May. 

Law Enforcement Today previously reported on the May 4th incident that saw a 68-year-old man attacked with a crowbar while also having a firearm pointed at him. 

Here’s that previous report. 


HOUSTON, TX – Police in Houston are actively searching for a suspect that was caught on surveillance footage beating a 68-year-old man, who runs a used car dealership, with a crowbar during what authorities say was an armed robbery.

Authorities say the incident happened during the morning of May 4th, where the assailant forced his way into the office of a Houston based-used car dealership in the 6700 block of Telephone Road where the victim was attacked.

Video shows the 68-year-old businessman trying to ward off the attacker, who is armed with a handgun in one hand and a crowbar in the other.

The victim struggled with the assailant, with the man then striking the elderly victim multiple times with the crowbar.

At one point the owner of the business attempted to run out of the office, but the man seen on video winds up pulling him back inside and the assault continues from there.

Later on in the video, the suspect appears to have tied the victim’s hands behind his back, where the victim can be seen getting dragged by his feet to a corner of the office that is out of the camera’s purview.

Investigators say that the attacker seen on the video reportedly stole the victim’s wallet before leaving the scene. Houston police are reaching out to the public to help identify the individual seen in the video.

The suspect has been described as a black man standing at about 6 feet tall, aged somewhere between 40 to 45 years old with a muscular build.

As for the victim, later identified as Hoss Gharatappeh, he spoke with local news outlet Fox 26 noting that he was appreciative that not only he survived the attack but that his wife was not around when the attack took place.

The family of the victim is reportedly offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect. Houston Crime Stoppers is also offering a reward of up to $5000 for information leading to this individual’s arrest.

For those with any information on this case, Houston Crime Stoppers can be reached at 713-222-TIPS.


In other attacks caught on camera, surveillance footage inside of a courthouse in Illinois caught the moments when a defendant awaiting a hearing in relation to a trespassing charge launched an attack against deputies inside of the courthouse. 

Here’s that previous report. 


SKOKIE, IL – Surveillance video caught the moments when a 30-year-old detainee waiting for an appearance inside of the Skokie Courthouse launched an attack that injured four Cook County Sheriff’s deputies on May 12th.

According to reports, 30-year-old Jerome Townsel was inside of the Skokie Courthouse and making a phone call before his bond hearing in relation to a trespassing charge at approximately 10:00 a.m. on May 12th.

Footage shows the suspect talking on a phone in an office at the courthouse when he begins motioning toward a pair of sheriff’s deputies standing a few feet away from him.

While there is no sound available in the footage, Townsel appears to become agitated at the nearby deputies while on the phone.

Townsel then moves in the direction of the two deputies and raises both his fists.

The suspect strikes one deputy in the face, which prompts three other nearby deputies to get involved and help detain the suspect.

As the additional deputies close in on the suspect, video shows the detainee hurling punches at the other deputies, landing multiple strikes against them in the process.

Eventually, deputies were able to pin Townsel against a partition and one deputy moved to his rear which enabled the deputies to take control and cuff the suspect. 

Reportedly, the other deputies suffered minor injuries during the fracas.

Sometime after Townsel was detained, he was brought back to court regarding his bond hearing for his trespassing case.

The judge reportedly set his bond at $150,000 and officials say he’s now slated to be facing some new charges in connection with the incident caught on video.

Officials say the incident is still under investigation. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts