NEW YORK CITY, NY – Three days after a sudden and violent attack on a grandfather, grandmother and grandson in the Bronx, police have released video of the man who they believed pushed the grandmother onto a set of train tracks and then ran away.
New York City Police shared what appears to be security camera footage of the suspect in the attack walking down a sidewalk near the crime scene on the afternoon of Oct. 19 , right after the incident happened.
Local TV station News 12 posted the video on its website and reported that officers now want the man for questioning.
Police said the altercation started about 1:30 p.m. on the platform of the Clinton and Washington avenues subway station.
ABC 7 New York reported that the elderly couple’s grandson and the suspect initially exchanged words.
The younger victim was on the platform with his grandparents when he saw the suspect smoking and told him that he could not smoke in the subway station.
Police officers told the outlet that a dispute followed and the man who had been smoking attacked the 30-year-old man and his 82-year-old grandfather.
News 12 reported that the suspect tried to punch the younger man in the face and in the process also punched his grandfather. There is no word on whether that was intentional or accidental.
Both were bloodied and had to be treated at a local hospital. The younger of the two reportedly had multiple injuries.
According to ABC 7, it was when the 73-year-old grandmother attempted to stop the fight that the suspect pushed her onto the train tracks in front of an oncoming train.
The train operator saw her on the tracks and was able to stop the train before she was hit.
News outlets reported that she required sutures to close her injuries.
The suspect then fled the subway station. Police were still searching for the alleged attacker.
It’s not the first vicious attack in a Bronx subway station this year.
In February, a young woman became the victim of a random attack when a stranger slashed her in the forehead while she was riding the train.
NBC 4 New York reported on the crime, saying that Rabia Begum, 23, was riding the northbound 6 train about 9:45 p.m. on a Wednesday when a man pulled a knife and attacked her.
She told police that he cut her forehead and hand in the unprovoked attack, and then when she cried out for help “no one came to her aid.”
A witness to the attack told NBC 4 New York that the suspect nearly fought another train passenger before turning on the victim. He said:
“He almost started a tussle with another man and then that didn’t really play out. The next thing you know, he was just on top of this girl, kicking and stomping her. Then [he] started stabbing her once in the head and once she put her hand up, cut her across the hand.”
Police say the suspect, who was described only as a 6-foot-tall man, had been looking at the victim and even followed her when she changed positions on the train.
The suspect fled the train at the Brook Avenue stop, and police immediately launched an investigation. In the months since, there has been no word on any arrests in the case.
NYPD Crime Stoppers last tweeted a video of the suspect on Feb. 13. The post was captioned:
“WANTED for a SLASHING/STABBING of a 19 y/o female on board a @NYPDTransit N/B ‘6’ Train at Brook Avenue in the Bronx @NYPD40PCT. Have you seen him or know who he is? 1-800-577-TIPS or NYPDCrimeStoppers.com. It’s anonymous and you may receive a REWARD!”
?WANTED for a SLASHING/STABBING of a 19 y/o female on board a @NYPDTransit N/B ‘6’ Train?at Brook Avenue in the Bronx @NYPD40Pct. Have you seen him or know who he is? ?1-800-577-TIPS or ?https://t.co/MoYB90aDa9. It’s anonymous and you may receive a REWARD! pic.twitter.com/wK0mzDn69m
— NYPD Crime Stoppers (@NYPDTips) February 13, 2020
Begum was originally admitted to Lincoln Hospital in serious but stable condition. She told News 4 that she felt “good” following her treatment and release from the hospital but that she is now afraid. She said:
“I’m not going to take 6 train,” she said. “I’m too scared.”
Her brother, who was not identified, told News 4 that Begum had called for help during the attack but no one came to her aid.
A witness to the bloody attack told ABC7:
“No one should have to go through that or endure that at all. That’s someone’s daughter or someone’s mother or someone’s child. I really hope they catch the guy for doing that to her because it’s so messed up. It’s so wrong.”
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired, and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Bombshell report shows NYC gun violence continues to spike; shootings up 166 percent since May
September 7, 2020
NEW YORK, NY – Since the death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota, gun violence has surged in the streets of New York City.
Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio, instead of dealing with the violence, has taken steps that some argue has helped to increase it, such as disbanding the New York Police Department’s Anti-Crime unit and removing $1 billion from the police budget.
?WANTED for RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT: Do you know these guys? On 8/25/20 at approx 1:03 AM, inside of 2250 West 11 St in Brooklyn, a group of males fired several rounds at each other before fleeing. No injuries were reported. Any info call or DM @NYPDTips at 800-577-TIPS. pic.twitter.com/fXXnn4BsMT
— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) September 5, 2020
In a recent incident, a shooting is captured on surveillance video in which two different groups of people began firing on each other. The New York Police Department advised the incident happened in the early-morning hours of August 25 at the Marlboro Houses in Brooklyn.
The NYPD does not have any reports of anyone injured during the shooting and has not been able to identify those involved. They are asking for anyone who knows the people to please contact them so they may continue their investigation.
This disturbance is one of many that has happened throughout the city of New York. According to Fox News, shooting incidents have increased by 166 percent compared with the same time frame in 2019. In August alone, police reported 242 shooting incidents, compared with 91 in August 2019.
Shootings in the city have become far too commonplace and often times, the victims of that violence have been children and/or minorities. An example of this is a shooting which happened in the early-morning hours of Sept. 7, in which a six-year-old boy was shot along with four other people.
CBS New York reported that people had been attending a J’ouvert (freedom from slavery) celebration when the shooting occurred in a Brooklyn Crown Height’s neighborhood. Police advised that two people allegedly opened fire and struck five people.
The child was struck in the leg and four people, ranging in age from 34 to 47, were shot in their feet and legs. All of the people who were injured were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. There is no doubt there will be a long-lasting psychological effect for the victims, at least for the small child who was shot.
8 people shot from 12:00 AM, included a 6-year-old child in #NewYork. Ironic how all the people that want to defund the police, and screaming "call the police."
Warning: Footage is not for the faint of heart.pic.twitter.com/MqduamWeU3
— Disclose.tv ? (@disclosetv) September 7, 2020
Police have not released much information regarding this shooting nor the names of those involved. Therefore there is no indication if this was an insolated incident, domestic or gang situation.
A person who lives in the area of the shooting told CBS News that the 47-year-old was in the area only to check on her daughter and son when the shooting happened.
The neighbor said:
“Only reason she was over here was because her daughter wasn’t answering the phone. After she spoke to her daughter, they were walking right here, and that’s when three shots went off. I saw the little boy on the floor full of blood, and I ran.”
The NYPD tweeted about the shooting:
“At tonight’s senseless shooting in Brooklyn where five people were shot, officer also arrested two men – and recovered two guns. The investigation is in its early stages and is ongoing. We’re asking anyone with information to contact @NYPDTips at #800577TIPS.”
J’ouvert and a West Indian American Day Parade were scheduled to be celebrated virtually this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, despite gathering restrictions in place in the city, it is apparent some people decided to celebrate the events in person.
The holiday weekend was particularly violent. The New York City Police Department reported officers responded to 14 shootings which a total of 14 victims. Three of those victims died as a result of their injuries.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!