Man arrested for breaking into the home of ex-girlfriend, desecrating the remains of her child – claims he was “blacked out”


Mount Pleasant, SC: Mount Pleasant police report that a 33-year-old man was arrested for breaking into the home of an ex-girlfriend, damaging the home and desecrating the remains of her deceased child.

Talk about harboring resentment.

Police reported that video surveillance footage shows the man, Joseph Oberlies, entering the residence during the overnight hours, damaged property and threw the ashes of the ex-girlfriend’s deceased child in the trash. The child belonged to the woman and her ex-husband.

According to a Fox News press release, it stated:

“Oberlies was reportedly recorded at 3 a.m. Saturday by a security camera as he approached the door of his ex-girlfriend’s house, entered the security code and went into the home, according to the report. He was taped leaving the residence minutes later and returned shortly after 4 a.m., not leaving again until 7:52 a.m.”

It is unclear what motivated Oberlies to commit such a senseless crime to violate the dead in such a manner.

One can safely assume he was not pleased with the recent breakup and harbored ill feelings toward it. The report added that no one was in the home at the time of the break-in, which surely was a blessing for the victim.

That incident could have gone much differently.

Oberlies was already on bond for an eerily similar offense that had a different outcome.

This past August 5th, Oberlies was arrested for allegedly breaking into the home of another ex-girlfriend and was charged for first degree assault and battery. Investigators allege that Oberlies confronted the woman and stabbed her after breaking in.

Fortunately for the latest break in, the woman was not home.

According to the Fox News column:

“The female victim dated Oberlies for several months earlier in 2022, the report said, and trespassed him from her property on Aug. 23. She claimed to police that she was not at home when Oberlies broke into it, but that in addition to taking a hammer to her flat-screen TV, he also dumped the ashes of the child she had with her ex-husband into the garbage.”

It continued:

The report added that the victim noted Oberlies could not have known she and her children would not be at home when he broke in, which made her frightened to think of what he would have done if they had been.”

The coward just needs to get over it.

We have all been through bad break ups. But Oberlies just needs to get over it and stop drinking. His explanation to investigators had him at another location during the break in. But his story quickly changed once presented with the video evidence.

According to Fox 28 local media, it stated:

“Officers interviewed Oberlies, who initially claimed he was in West Ashley at the time of the break-in. When they confronted him with video evidence, he told them he was “black-out drunk” and couldn’t remember anything.”

Being drunk is a common cowardly excuse for making terrible decisions. But how drunk does someone have to be to desecrate the remains of a child’s ashes.

The textbook definition of why people make bad decisions is:

“Poor decision making: Alcohol is a depressant, which means it slows the function of the central nervous system, muscle coordination, movement, reflexes, speech, and decision making. This can result in poor decision making while inebriated, such as drunk driving or unwanted sexual encounters.”

Most people can relate to making poor decisions under the influence of alcohol; spending too much money, having too many drinks, getting into arguments.

But normal people still know where to draw a line, even while inebriated.

But not Oberlies.

Stabbing people, desecrating remains, and destroying property is a much deeper level of troubling. With crimes of that degree, it would be a safe bet that he will one day seriously injure someone- all while being ‘black-out’ drunk.

Unfortunately, this possibility may come to fruition because he is still roaming the streets.

According to the Fox column:

“Joseph Oberlies, 33, is facing charges of First Degree Burglary and Destruction of Human Remains. He was booked into the Al Cannon Detention Center Thursday morning and released on $60,000 bond Thursday evening.”

Mount Pleasant police had alerted the local school system to be on the lookout for Oberlies as a precaution.

Hopefully, he doesn’t do anything incredibly disturbing again, but don’t hold your breath.

Man arrested for breaking into the home of ex-girlfriend, desecrating the remains of her child - claims he was "blacked out"

Another eerily similar crime.

Man accused of drunkenly killing a Florida Sheriff’s deputy bonds out of jail 9 months after the fact

Posted August 23, 2022

ORANGE COUNTY, FL – Neil Demetree is the 57-year-old man who is facing felony charges after he allegedly drove under the influence and struck a sheriff’s office civilian field officer, killing him in the process.

He was transported from the crash scene and died at the hospital.

The death of David Grassi occurred on December 11, 2021. Now, nine months later, Demetree was arrested before eventually bonding out. He has been charged with vehicular homicide.

A local station, Channel 9, was there when he left the county facility where he had posted bail. They confronted him about the charges he is facing. he simply turned and ran away, according to the ABC affiliate.

Here is what we know.

Early in the morning of December 11, Grassi was sitting in a marked county patrol vehicle. The 66-year-old man was monitoring a lane closure in a construction zone on Interstate 4 in Orlando.

Around 2:30, Demetree, who has admitted having three beers at a gentlemen’s club, was heading home.

It was in that construction zone where Demetree is alleged to have veered into the closed lane where Grassi was sitting, striking the patrol car, killing Grassi.

He told officers that he had a few beers, but the arrest affidavit showed a BAC of .08 as well as traces of marijuana in his system.

Investigators asked if he fell asleep, but he denied that allegation. He simply said the accident “shouldn’t have happened, but it did.”

When questioned about his recollection and driving into the lane, he said he:

“faded into the lane. I put on my breaks, and I tried to go around him.”

He also claimed to have been traveling between 60 to 65 miles per hour at the time of the accident. Forensics shows that he was traveling in excess of 85 miles per hour at the time. The speed limit in that zone was 40 mph.

Man arrested for breaking into the home of ex-girlfriend, desecrating the remains of her child - claims he was "blacked out"
Accident scene, screenshot of video courtesy of WFTV 9.

Grassi had served with the agency for nearly 19 years.

“We appreciate the outpouring of support for the loss of Field Service Officer David Grassi who died in the line of duty on Dec. 11. He joined OCSO in 2003 as a 911 and became an FSO in 2008. He was 66 years old. Please keep his wife Nancy, their kids & grandkids in your prayers,” the OCSO tweeted back in December after Grassi tragic death.

Sheriff John Mina said that simply by being there, Grassi was a hero.

“He saved the lives of many road construction workers out there that night,” he said.

Mina was alluding to what could have happened if Demetree’s car had not contacted Grassi’s, instead swerving where the workers were stationed, potentially striking them.

Law Enforcement Today did a quick open records search but could not determine how much Demetree’s bond was or when he is due back in court.

We will continue to follow this story and provide updates as they become available.

This is how you handle a drunk.

Hero trooper uses patrol vehicle to stop drunk driver from plowing into 10K race, saves countless lives

ST. PETERSBURG, FL – A Florida Highway Patrol Trooper is being hailed as a hero after she stopped a drunk driver from potentially plowing into thousands of race participants.

The trooper’s selfless actions occurred on Sunday, March 6, 2022, during the running of the annual Skyway 10k in Manatee County, Florida.

According to the Herald-Tribune, a woman driving a 2011 BMW 335i was traveling “at a high rate of speed,” on I-275, approaching the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, where thousands of runners and walkers were crossing.

I-275 was closed at that time due to the race.

The driver did not detour onto US-41 despite being directed to do so, and she instead drove around barriers and through traffic cones, past state patrol presence.

As the woman headed toward the bridge, two Florida Highway Patrol troopers drove south on the northbound lanes of I-275 to intercept her.

In the video below, the dash cam recording of Trooper Toni Schuck shows the moment when Schuck directed her patrol vehicle into the path of the oncoming BMW, colliding nearly head-on with the car:

Schuck is a 26-year veteran of the Florida Highway Patrol.

The Herald-Tribune reports that she suffered serious injuries in the collision, but is now recovering at home.

According to WTSP, those injuries included a “serious head wound” and a concussion, as well as significant lacerations that “are expected to cause permanent scarring to her head and face.”

The driver, later identified as Kristen Kay Watts, 52, of Sarasota, was also seriously injured and was found to be intoxicated.

No participants in the Skyway 10k were hurt.

Watts was arrested by the Florida Highway Patrol and charged with:

“driving under the influence with serious injury, two counts of DUI with property damage and two counts of reckless driving involving injury and property damage.”

Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Ken Watson called Schuck the “last line of defense,” saying:

“There was no time to think.  You have to act.

“And without question, she was the last line of defense.”

Watson continued:

“There’s no telling what would have happened, had that vehicle actually reached all of those runners. 

“You know, the bottom line is, these troopers saved dozens upon dozens of lives….

“For this trooper [Schuck] to risk her life to make sure that others would be ok, is the epitome of what service is all about.”

WTSP reports that FHP Sgt. Steve Gaskins wrote an email praising Schuck and the other trooper who drove to intercept Watts and her vehicle.

He said:

“Both are high-caliber and high-quality members dedicated to the FHP and serving the public.”

Gaskins continued:

“Every one of them responded immediately and without hesitation.  

“While the crash was severe, I know the injured Trooper who is currently receiving medical care as I author this email, is absolutely relieved to have been available to ensure the safety of hundreds of innocent persons.”

Skyway 10K announced in a Facebook post:

“On behalf of the Skyway 10K, we are beyond thankful for our law enforcement partners and the trooper who risked her life to keep our race participants safe.

“We are extremely grateful for the Florida Highway Patrol and all of our federal, state and local law enforcement partner agencies, not only for providing layers of security for this event, but the sacrifices they make every day.”

Watts is being held at the Manatee County jail on a $52,000 bond.

Fox 13 reporters shared a video showing Watts laughing during her first court appearance:

The Florida Highway Patrol announced:

“Those wishing to contact Trooper Schuck, who continues to recover from her injuries with her family at home, may send their thoughts to her attention at Florida Highway Patrol, 11305 North McKinley Drive, Tampa, FL 33612 or via our FLHSMV and FHP social media.”

FB Group Page

Submit a Correction
Related Posts