Man accused of dousing girlfriend’s kids with lighter fluid and threatening to set them on fire


MEMPHIS, TN – A 30-year-old man was arrested in earlier in September after authorities say a domestic incident between him and his significant other back in August escalated into a physical altercation.  And during it, the suspect allegedly poured lighter fluid on his girlfriend’s four children and threatened to set them on fire.

According to reports, police responded to a call of domestic violence within the 1700 block of Preston Street on the evening of August 14th.

The victim alleged that her boyfriend, identified as 30-year-old Christopher Garrett, had become angry and started throwing things during an argument.

The victim further alleged that Garrett had then poured lighter fluid over the feet of her four children and threatened to light them on fire.

Cantral Anderson, the victim’s brother, also alleged that Garrett had broken out the glass to the front door of his sister’s house: 

“She said something about he was jumping on her, but she didn’t go into details, but she told me something like that was going on.”

Anderson has been staying with his sister at her house ever since the incident and was relieved once police finally caught Garrett nearly a month after the incident: 

“Every time she came home, she was scared. She didn’t know what was going to happen to her.”

Reportedly, Garrett had also stolen the victim’s blue 2010 Ford Taurus following the August incident. 

Apparently, Garrett has a history of domestic incidents involving his significant other. Back in February prior to his latest arrest, Garrett’s girlfriend filed a police report alleging that Garrett had intentionally turned on the gas inside their home while she was away.

When officers responded to the gas call earlier in 2021, police could immediately smell an overwhelming odor of gas before shutting down the main valve and evacuating several homes nearby.

Garrett was sentenced to 30 days in jail for the February incident. 

As for his latest charges, Garrett was arrested under charges of aggravated assault, theft of property between $2,500 and $10,000 and domestic assault-bodily harm and is slated to appear in court on September 22nd.

His bond was set at $22,000, according to court records. Anderson says that his sister will be fully at ease so long as he stays in jail: 

“As long as they can keep him in place and she doesn’t have to worry about messing with the kids and her.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police: Man charged with murdering his girlfriend tried drowning a deputy before he was arrested

(Originally published August 17th, 2021)

CLEARWATER, FL – According to reports, a 34-year-old murder suspect accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend also allegedly tried drowning a sheriff’s deputy that were among authorities that took him into custody at a retention pond where he was located.

Officials say that this murder suspect is now facing an additional charge of attempted murder for the incident that transpired at the retention pond.

On August 13th shortly after 3:00 p.m., authorities discovered the body of 20-year-old Shyanne Turner, who was found shot to death while inside of a Nissan Sentra off of the 1700 block of Townsend Street.

Investigators believed the shooting suspect to be Turner’s boyfriend, identified as 34-year-old Joshua Henderson.

Authorities say that Henderson was the driver of the Nissan Sentra where Turner’s body was discovered, having shot the victim in the area of Otten Street and Weston Drive and then later abandoning the vehicle in the area it was discovered.

Pinellas County sheriff’s deputies reportedly located Henderson that same afternoon at a retention pond that was nearby the scene of the incident.

While deputies were taking Henderson into custody, sheriff’s office officials say that Henderson pulled and held a deputy underwater for an unspecified amount of time.

Deputies were able to eventually get the situation under control and take Henderson into custody. Henderson is now facing charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder on a law enforcement officer.

Records show that Henderson hosts a variety of previous arrests within the county, with charges ranging from drug possession, resisting arrest, and domestic battery.

The suspect is currently being held in the Pinellas County Jail. Jail records show that bond for the defendant has not yet been determined.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police: Florida man paid homeless man $100 to slash his girlfriend in the face, then visited her in the hospital

(Originally published June 13th, 2021)

ORLANDO, FL – Police in Orlando arrested a 35-year-old man they say paid a homeless man $100 to slash his girlfriend in the face in an effort to “send a message.”

The recently released police report also shows that the boyfriend who allegedly commissioned this attack on his girlfriend was at the hospital with her after the was slashed.

At approximately 9:52 p.m. on April 17th, the victim had reportedly parked her vehicle at a parking garage within the 100 block of South Orange Avenue and had opened her driver’s side door, but briefly turned over to grab her purse.

As the victim was doing this, an unknown Hispanic male had launched an attack on the woman, slashing her in the face with some sort of bladed object.

The police report noted the victim suffered “two lacerations to her face, one to the left side of her nose and another laceration from the left side of her cheek to the left ear.”

The officer who arrived on the scene after the attack, identified as Officer Juarbe in the report, noted the following while examining the crime scene:

“Upon walking the crime scene, I observed the victim’s vehicle parked [redacted]. There was a significant amount of blood around the driver’s portion of the vehicle. I also observed a trail of blood leading to the elevator, which was consistent with the victim running to her place of work.”

The victim told authorities that she didn’t recognize who attacked her, nor did the attacker say anything while cutting her face.

When Officer Juarbe was speaking with the victim inside of the hospital while she was being treated, she was accompanied by her boyfriend, identified as Alexis Colon Colon, who proclaimed to have been at home when the incident happened.

During the course of the investigation, security footage obtained from the parking garage where the incident transpired showed a light colored Toyota Prius that had entered the parking garage shortly before the attack and then left the garage shortly after the incident.

Further investigation uncovered footage obtained from street cameras that showed this Toyota Prius following the victim’s vehicle prior to the attack.

Investigators conducted a follow up interview with the victim three days after the attack, and outside of learning that there was a history of domestic violence between her and Colon Colon, the victim mentioned that she remembered Colon Colon having access to a Toyota Prius by way of a tow yard that was located on Ferguson drive.

When investigators tracked down this tow yard, they happened to find this Toyota Prius, which eventually led them to a witness who proclaimed to have had a conversation with Colon Colon inside a vehicle where he’d asked him if he knew anyone who could “hurt” a woman who had upset him.

Alexis Colon Colon - Orlando Police Department
Alexis Colon Colon – Orlando Police Department

This witness reportedly told Colon Colon that he didn’t know of anyone that would do something like that, but informed investigators that Colon Colon picked up a “homeless Spanish male” where he observed Colon Colon make the same proposition to.

The witness proclaimed that Colon Colon paid the vagrant $100 on April 15th after coming to an agreement that this homeless man would attack a woman who works in the Downton Orlando area, driving the vagrant to the specific parking lot where the attack would occur two days later.

Colon Colon was later arrested in early May, having been charged with criminal attempted felony and burglary with a deadly weapon. He’s currently being held without bond at the Orange County Jail.

Authorities have yet to track down the vagrant who allegedly carried out the attack.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Man beaten to death by angry group for allegedly giving pregnant girlfriend a black eye

(Originally published June 18th, 2021)

MAGNA, UT – A 41-year-old man was reportedly beaten to death by a group of at least five people behind a grocery store earlier in June.

According to police, the deceased was the victim of the fatal beating for allegedly giving his pregnant girlfriend a black eye days before the murder. 

On June 14th, a group of roughly five people, which included one 13-year-old, went to the girlfriend’s home of 41-year-old Fred Valdamar Ortiz to look at getting a puppy, as she’s reportedly a dog breeder. 

While this group was at the victim’s girlfriend’s home, she allegedly told the group that Ortiz had given her a black eye two days earlier. 

Ortiz happened to have driven by on a scooter while this group was still at the woman’s home, and the group started to chase after Ortiz. 

Police say that a car being driven by 19-year-old Osyeanna Maria Martinez struck Ortiz during the pursuit, but Ortiz was still able to continue running. 

The angry group eventually caught up with Ortiz at the back of a Smith’s Food and Drug located at 8055 West 3500 South. 

Surveillance video reportedly captured Martinez throwing two boards that struck the back of Ortiz’s head, and then began to punch and kick him. 

Another suspect, identified as 18-year-old Xandre Sky Hill, was said to be seen on video beating Ortiz with a pole. Hill allegedly told police that he only tackled and punched Ortiz, but someone else used the pole on the victim. 

When police were interviewing the suspects involved in the murder, a family member of Ortiz told police about the alleged domestic violence incident that inspired the group beating, according to he police report: 

“[The family] have been scared to report it because [Ortiz] is on parole and his probation officer will not do anything to lock him up.”

This family member, identified in the police report only as M.P., was reportedly the daughter of Ortiz’s girlfriend who was allegedly assaulted days earlier by Ortiz.

M.P. had admitted to police that she was one of the first to get out of the car to attack Ortiz, trying to spray him with pepper spray, but the wind blew the pepper spray in her eyes and she ran into the Smith’s Food and Drug to wash her eyes out and didn’t see most of the attack.

A woman identified as “Hannah” in the report told police that Ortiz’s girlfriend was nearby while the group were beating Ortiz.

Hannah had told police that she asked Ortiz’s girlfriend to make the group stop the attack, which the girlfriend allegedly refused to do.

By the time authorities arrived on the scene of the beating, Ortiz was no longer breathing.

While police confirmed that as many as five people were involved in the fatal beating, arrest details have only been released for Martinez and Hill, both of whom have been charged with murder. 

The other suspects mentioned in the police report have only been identified by their initials. 

Currently, both Hill and Martinez are being held without bail. 

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates regarding this case. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts