Man accused of beating 3-year-old boy into a coma and leaving the toddler with broken ribs


WIXOM, MI – A 25-year-old man has been charged with first-degree child abuse after law enforcement officials say that he had beaten a 3-year-old boy so severely that the child suffered broken ribs and resulted in the boy going in a comatose state back in May.

On July 2nd, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office announced that 25-year-old Ryan McManus was charged with first degree child abuse for allegedly beating his girlfriend’s son on May 25th. According to the Sheriff’s Office, the child’s mother left the boy in McManus’ care while she went to work.

Reportedly, Child Protective Services had contacted the Sheriff’s Department who then met with doctors at the ICU at Mott Children’s Hospital and Ann Arbor, where the 3-year-old boy was comatose and had apparently suffered 8 broken ribs, elbow fractures, a laceration to the liver, brain injuries, trauma to both his pancreas and kidneys, and bruising on his face, back and chest.

Luckily, since the May 25th incident, the child has been released from the hospital and is currently in the custody of his biological father.

McManus was reportedly arrested on July 1st and is facing up to life in prison if convicted.

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard made the following comments regarding the case:

“Violent crimes against children are among the most horrific and disturbing things we see. I am proud of our team’s swift work to hold this suspect accountable for the torture inflicted on this innocent child.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other reports regarding violent against children, a man who is accused of murdering a toddler that was left in his care back in May was caught on camera trying to take a police officer’s gun inside of the interview room where he allegedly confessed to the murder of the child. 

We at Law Enforcement Today shared that report and video from the intense moments from inside the police interview room in Las Vegas. 

Here’s that previous report. 


LAS VEGAS, NV – Police officials recently released the video of a man accused of murdering a two-year-old boy trying to grab an officer’s firearm while inside of a police interview room at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department headquarters building. 

Luckily, no one was hurt during the May 12th incident. 

On May 12th, LVMPD officers were interrogating 27-year-old Terrell Rhodes in connection with the killing of two-year-old Amari Nicholson that occurred May 5th. 

Reportedly, Amari had been reported missing on May 5th, with Rhodes having initially told investigators that the child was taken by an unknown family member. 

Days after the child was reported missing, Rhodes had allegedly confessed to killing the two-year-old child after Amiri had urinated on himself. 

Amiri was reportedly left in Rhodes’ care when the child’s mother had left the state to go take care of her own mother. Police say that Rhodes had rendered a crudely drawn map to lead authorities to where he’s reportedly hid the child’s body after the murder.

Utilizing the hand-drawn map, police located Amiri’s body within the 400 block of East Twain Avenue.

When Rhodes was being brought into a police interview room on May 12th, the suspect is visibly upset and is crying while squirming as officers are trying to have him take a seat. 

Rhodes had allegedly told police in the interview room “let me out of here,” and that he “can’t go back.”

Suddenly, Rhodes can be seen reaching over to one of the officer’s holstered weapon, actually taking control of the firearm. 


The two officers inside of the interview immediately try to get the firearm out of the suspect’s hands, with then two other officers coming in to assist. 

According to the police report on the incident inside of LVMPD headquarters, Rhodes allegedly said “I’m going to kill a mother fucker,” while the struggle for the gun took place. 

Luckily, officers were able to subdue Rhodes and no injuries were reported from the incident. 

After the suspect was under control, Rhodes reportedly told police “I wanna die,” and “kill me.”

Terrell Rhodes - Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Terrell Rhodes – Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department

Following the death of the young child, in concurrence with the incident at police headquarters, Rhodes was charged with murder, attempted murder with a deadly weapon, assault on a protected person with the use of a deadly weapon and resisting a public officer with the use of a firearm.

Rhodes was said to have pled not guilty to the charges and is due back in court on June 25th. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Back in May, we at Law Enforcement Today shared a report about a double-murder suspect that engaged in a shootout with police as they closed in on him. 

This homicide suspect was reportedly killed in the shootout within authorities in Mississippi, as was his baby that he’d reportedly kidnapped prior to the shootout. 

Here’s that previous report. 


BILOXI, MS – A Louisiana-based double murder suspect, who also reportedly kidnapped his infant son, was killed along with that kidnapped baby in a police shootout that transpired on May 3rd. This, following a pursuit that ended in Biloxi, Mississippi on the I-10.

According to officials, the events leading up to the police shootout on the I-10 began after the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office had responded to a 911 hang-up call from a residence located in Baker, Louisiana.

Deputies responded to the residence in Baker at approximately 11:30 a.m. on May 3rd, where deputies found the bodies of 32-year-old Christin Parker and her nephew, 26-year-old Brandon Parker.

Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s officials noted that both of the victims were fatally shot.

Authorities later identified 30-year-old Eric Derell Smith, reportedly Christin Parker’s ex-boyfriend, as the prime suspect for the double homicide.

Officials allege that Smith had fled the scene of the double homicide and had kidnapped his and Parker’s four-month-old son from the home where the murders occurred.

A description of Smith’s vehicle was released by officials shortly thereafter, noting that he was believed to be driving a blue Nissan Altima with dark tinted windows.

Minutes before 3:00 p.m. on May 3rd, the Biloxi Police Department had received a notification that the double murder suspect had been spotted driving along the I-10 in Mississippi and was driving toward the city of Gulfport, which is mere miles from Biloxi.

Numerous law enforcement agencies began to pursue Smith on the I-10, with authorities closing off numerous exits along the interstate and eventually deploying spike strips in an effort to safely disable the vehicle.

The suspect’s vehicle was reportedly bumped into by a police vehicle near mile marker 40 on the I-10, where Smith’s Nissan Altima had eventually came to a stop at a median along the Interstate.

A statement released by the Biloxi Police Department noted that once Smith had exited his vehicle, a shootout ensued between the suspect and authorities:

“As the suspect exited the vehicle, shots were fired. Medical attention was given to the suspect but he died as a result of injuries sustained.”

Reportedly, Smith’s four-month-old son was also injured during this shootout. The child was reportedly rushed over to an area hospital for treatment, but unfortunately succumbed to his wounds while being treated.

Autopsies for both the double homicide suspect and his son are slated to occur on May 5th, according to Harrison County Coroner Brian Switzer.

Biloxi Police Major Christopher De Back declined to offer preliminary details on who allegedly opened fire first during the shootout, emphasizing that a lot of the details related to this investigation are still being fleshed out.

Major De Back also pointed out that even when investigative officials determine the aforementioned, that information will not be immediately released to the public until the district attorney’s office reviews the case:

“Once a thorough investigation is completed the details will be released to the District Attorney’s Office for review.”

In the fallout of the shootout that resulted in the young boy being killed, activists in Mississippi began demanding answers as to who was responsible for the gunshot that killed the baby. 

Anastassia Doctor, a Black Lives Matter Mississippi board member and Army veteran, spoke with the Associated Press about the incident and what they want to know: 

“We want to have a coherent, truthful conversation about what happened and how this could have been avoided. Period.”

Doctor questions whether race was a factor in the police response during the May 3rd shootout: 

“If this was a white man with a white child, would they have done the same thing?”

This is an ongoing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing matter.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts