Louisiana trooper ambushed and murdered – and his body went undiscovered for 12 hours


Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.  And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

PRAIRIEVILLE, LA – According to reports, Louisiana State Police are leading an investigation regarding a 31-year-old suspect who allegedly went on a shooting spree across several parishes in the state.

Officials say that among the suspect’s victims was a state trooper, whose body went undiscovered for approximately 12 hours.

Master Trooper Adam Gaubert, a 19-year veteran of the force, was identified as the deceased trooper by officials.

On October 9th, Col. Lamar Davis, superintendent of the Louisiana State Police, stated that Master Trooper Gaubert was discovered inside his patrol car in Prairieville, approximately 18 miles southeast of Baton Rouge, hours after being attacked.

In a Facebook post from the Louisiana State Police, the suspect alleged to have killed Master Trooper Gaubert was identified as 31-year-old Matthew Mire:

“The preliminary investigation revealed that Master Trooper Adam Gaubert was ambushed by Mire as he sat in his fully marked patrol unit.  The ambush of Trooper Gaubert occurred in close proximity to the Dutton Road shooting that took place in the overnight hours of October 9, 2021.

Mire is a person of interest in multiple shooting incidents in several parishes.  Following the shootings, Mire was involved in a pursuit where he fired a weapon at a separate pursuing State Trooper. The Trooper exchanged gunfire with Mire during the incident and was not injured.

As the search for Mire progressed, Louisiana State Police, Homeland Security Investigations, US Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms, LA Department of Corrections, Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office, and East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office worked together in the search area near Hoo Shoo Too Road at the Tiger Bend Bridge. 

After being located and taken into custody without incident, Mire was transported to a local hospital for injuries he sustained from a K-9 bite and suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound to the leg.”

Another individual allegedly killed by Mire during the shooting spree was the suspect’s own sister. Reportedly three other people were injured, one critically, during Mire’s purported shooting spree across various parishes.

Authorities have yet to reveal a possible motive for the shootings.

Mire is now facing charges of first-degree murder of a police officer, attempted first-degree murder of a police officer, and aggravated flight from an officer.

Master Trooper Gaubert was cited as having joined the Louisiana State Police back in 2002, having performed patrol duties with Troop A in Baton Rouge and also serving as a detective within the criminal investigations division.

The fallen trooper was also a Army veteran, which the Louisiana State Police’s Facebook post read that he “truly embodied the LSP Core Values of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. Together as a family, we will mourn his loss and honor his legacy of service to our department and the citizens of Louisiana.”

Arrangements for the fallen trooper have not yet been finalized but will be announced on the agency’s Facebook page once they are. Those interested in making any monetary donations to the family of Master Trooper Gaubert can do so through the Louisiana State Troopers Association – Louisiana Troopers Charities.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Video: Three suspects arrested following ambush of Orlando officers in broad daylight

(Originally published September 26th, 2021)

ORLANDO, FL – According to reports, three suspects have been arrested in connection with an ambush of Orlando Police officers that was caught on bodycam earlier in September.

The shooting incident occurred in broad daylight, with the Orlando Police chief noting that he was “puzzled” over the ambush as there was nothing that seemed to have provoked the shooting.

On September 21st at approximately 1:00 p.m., officers in a patrol unit in the area of Jacobs Place and S. Lakeland Avenue were pulling over to the sidewalk to make contact with a trio of males, identified as 22-year-old Jameon Brown, 19-year-old Michael Collins and 17-year-old Travis Weston.

Orlando Police Chief Orlando Rolón stated that without provocation and before contact could even be made with the three subjects, the officers came under fire while still inside the unit.

Bodycam footage from the incident shows the officer in the passenger side saying, “watch out” and then the gunfire starts ringing out.

The suspects fled on foot, and both of the officers exit the vehicle, with one of the officers retrieving a rifle from the squad car. However, footage shows that no additional shots were fired during the incident once the officer retrieved the rifle.

After the initial incident, Weston was reportedly discovered with a wounded leg and was taken to an area hospital before being officially booked. Brown was also reportedly apprehended the same day a short time later, having sustained an unspecified injury to his arm.

Police caught up with Collins on September 22nd, with investigators saying they located the suspect near Camping World Stadium.

Chief Rolón is relieved that none of his officers were hurt or killed during the exchanged gunfire, but expressed confusion as to what prompted the rapid escalation of events:

“We are very fortunate not to be speaking about an officer-involved shooting where we may have lost one of our officers in this incident. We’re kind of puzzled as to how this happened. Again, the officers simply pulled up, as they tried to make contact, before they could get out of their car, there are shots that went into that vehicle that they were in.”

Officials did not disclose what the officers involved were attempting to make contact with the suspects for prior to the shooting.

All three of the suspects have since been charged with attempted first-degree murder on a law enforcement officer with a firearm and aggravated assault with a firearm.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Sheriff’s deputy ambushed and shot in the head by former town marshal during welfare check

(Originally published September 20th, 2021)

NEW HARMONY, IN- According to the Indiana State Police (ISP), a Posey County sheriff’s deputy was shot while responding to a welfare check on the evening of September 18th. The deputy has been identified as 41-year-old Bryan Hicks.

In a press release, ISP Evansville District Sergeant Todd Ringle stated that the incident began around 6:46 p.m. when the Posey County 911 dispatch center received a call for a welfare check at 612 Short Street.

Within 10 minutes deputies and the New Harmony town marshal responded to the scene.

While outside the home, a man opened fire on them and law enforcement officers returned fire, wounding the suspect.

Hicks was shot in the head. The suspect has since been identified as 70-year-old Paul D. Wiltshire. Sheriff Tom Latham confirmed that Wiltshire was a former town marshal and reserve deputy. Sgt. Ringle stated that:

“During the exchange of gunfire, a Posey County sheriff’s deputy was shot and critically injured.”

According to authorities, the deputy and the suspect were both rushed to Deaconess Midtown Hospital in Evansville.

As of this writing, details regarding their conditions have not been released, but sources stated the deputy is “basically fighting for his life.” Sgt. Ringle said in a statement:

“These types of calls are very nerve wracking. We know that in today’s society it is becoming more violent. These officers went to this residence to check on someone … and unfortunately, bad things occurred and right now, a Posey County deputy is fighting for his life.”

He added:

“Please keep the Posey County sheriff’s deputy and his family in your prayers.”

Wilshire, who has not yet been charged, received multiple gunshot wounds. Latham stated that this was the first officer-involved shooting in Posey County since 1994. He added:

“This situation has sent shock waves through this community and this office.”

According to the sergeant, the wounded deputy has a wife and family. The ISP is handling the ongoing investigation into the shooting. Additional information will be released as it becomes available.

In a separate incident, police in Detroit, Michigan are investigating the fatal shooting of an off-duty Wayne County corrections officer who was killed just hours after finishing his shift.

The victim, identified as 23-year-old Devante Jones was shot several times after dropping someone off in the area of East Forest and Chrysler Service Drive in Detroit.

The sheriff’s office said Jones fled the vehicle, trying to escape the gunfire, but was found and privately conveyed to Detroit Receiving Hospital. He had been shot multiple times and has died of his injuries. 

Jones joined the department in October 2019 and worked in Jail Division I. During a news conference, Wayne County Undersheriff Mike Jaafar said in a statement:

“We’re all fathers. As a parent, we can all relate to that loss. I didn’t know the officer personally, but in our line of work you don’t really have to. We are a family and when this happens to one it happens to all.”

Jones was just six hours from the end of his last jail shift before he was killed. He got off at 11 p.m., Jaafar said. The person he dropped off was not a deputy sheriff. Jaafar added that the timeline between Jones leaving work at 11 p.m. and his death just before 5 .m. is unclear. 

Sheriff Raphael Washington issued a statement extending condolences and prayers to Jones’ family. He said:

“This resonates with all of us on the job. We’re going to do all we can to find out what happened.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts