Another officer was just murdered in a shootout with a fugitive. A liberal judge released him before the killing.


HOUSTON, TX – A 30-year-old man accused of shooting two Houston Police officers earlier in September, killing one, is resulting in some locals focusing their respective ire toward a Harris County Criminal District Court judge due to the identified shooting suspect’s lengthy criminal history.

Authorities have identified the shooting suspect as 30-year-old Deon Ledet, who allegedly opened fire on two Houston Police officers – killing one of them and inuring the other – while they were executing a warrant on September 20th.

The officer killed during the incident was identified as Senior Officer William “Bill” Jeffery, who had served the Houston Police Department for nearly 31 years.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner lamented the passing of the officer, noting how many within the department were personally familiar with Officer Jeffery:

“Thirty-one years of service, just a few days short of that. Most of us know him personally, I’ve known him my entire career.”

On the day of the incident, Officer Jeffery and Sergeant Michael Vance approached a residence within the 5300 block of Aeropark Drive in an effort to serve a high-level felony warrant. A woman reportedly answered the door and the officers asked where Ledet was.

Shortly thereafter, police say that Ledet came to the door and started shooting at the two officers. The officers returned fire on Ledet, with the suspect later being pronounced deceased at the scene.

As of this writing, Sergeant Vance is still hospitalized, but is in stable condition.

Mayor Sylvester Turner shared the following sentiments the day of the shooting:

“This has been a tragic day today. It is another reminder that police work is inherently dangerous. And you never know, police officers never know what they are going to face when they leave their homes during the course of their duty. It is inherently dangerous.

So I want to lift both of these families. I’m going to ask the City of Houston to pray for both families. Pray for the Jeffery family, and then pray for the full recovery for Sergeant Vance.”

Yet, there are those within the community who feel as though this incident could’ve been prevented and are focusing their frustrations against 208th criminal district Court Judge Greg Glass.

Ledet apparently has quite the criminal history, hosting seven prior felony convictions and had an active case during the time of the shooting. Back in November of 2020, Ledet was charged with felony drug possession and possession with intent to deliver, which a magistrate judge set his bond at $60,000.

However, when Ledet went before Judge Glass, his bond was substantially lowered – to $20,000. It’s an aspect that has Houston Police Union President Doug Griffith infuriated:

“The fact that he should not have been out of jail, but was, is something I’m sick to my stomach talking about…The DA’s office requested a no bond because twice he’s been in TDC that makes him a habitual offender.”

All Ledet had to pony up was $2,000 to be freed from jail while awaiting trial – which he did – and the fact that Ledet was freed from custody, it set the series of events in motion that led to Officer Jeffery being killed and Sergeant Vance being injured.

Andy Kahan with Crime Stoppers is also among those calling the murder of this officer something that could’ve been “prevented”:

“It’s a tragedy yet from our perspective it’s another example of a tragedy that could have been prevented.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Got them! Two suspects arrested in murder of detective in Houston – and both were out on multiple bonds

(Originally published September 1st, 2021)

HOUSTON, TX – Two suspects have been arrested in the fatal shooting of New Orleans Detective Everett Briscoe, who was killed in August while off-duty and dining out at a restaurant in Houston, Texas.

The suspects, who were both out on bond on separate cases prior to the murder, could be facing the death penalty after being charged with capital murder, according to Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg.

New Orleans Detective Everett Briscoe had only been in Houston for 2 hours before he was fatally shot while dining on the patio area of the Grotto Ristorante on August 21st.

Detective Briscoe was part of club called the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club, a group that puts on a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans.

Apparently, several members – along with Detective Briscoe – were in Houston that weekend to meet up with each other.

Zulu president Elroy James said that the members in Houston had checked into the Hotel Derek that afternoon and walked across the street to have some cigars and drinks at the Grotto.

While Detective Briscoe was among friends, that’s when police say 19-year-old Frederick Jackson and 21-year-old Anthony Jenkins arrived at the restaurant with intentions to commit a robbery.

During the incident, Detective Briscoe was fatally shot and another man, identified as Dyrin Riculfy, was shot in the head and remains in a coma at a Houston area hospital.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said the following during a press conference announcing the arrests of the two suspects:

“We said that we were going after these suspects, and we were gonna leave no stone unturned, and we didn’t.”

Chief Finner stated that he’d also recently spoken with Riculfy’s wife, updating her on the arrest of the two suspects, saying the following during the press conference:

“She’s hurting, her family is hurting. Pray for her husband. He’s still fighting. But more importantly, pray for everybody.”

Authorities say that both of the suspects had a pattern of stalking victims at high-end restaurants and stores in the Galleria area in an effort to commence robberies. At the time of the murder, both Jackson and Jenkins were out on bond for separate cases.

Jenkins wound up being arrested on August 25th at an apartment complex in Southwest Houston, where authorities say they also seized a vehicle matching the description of the one used to flee the scene of the fatal shooting. 

Jackson was arrested the day after by a Houston Police SWAT team, according to authorities. 

Jenkins was out on a $40,000 bond for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon case, whereas Jackson was out on bond for an aggravated robberies – which authorities say Jackson wound up cutting off the ankle monitor he was supposed to be wearing while out on bond.

District Attorney Ogg delivered the following comments about the case:

“We’re sickened by this bold attack that left one beloved detective dead and his friend still fighting for his life. Our city’s shaken at how this could happen on a weekend afternoon at a restaurant in the heart of the tourist area. Details are brutal and they are heartbreaking.”

When commenting on the fact that both of the murder suspects were out on bonds at the time of the crime, DA Ogg added:

“As I keep saying, I am opposed – along with the mayor and police chief – to the repeated release of people on multiple bonds. There is no doubt that that’s part of what’s driving the crime rate that all of these members of law enforcement are working so hard to prevent.”

The district attorney says she’s working to ensure that Jackson and Jenkins do not receive bond this time around, considering that they’ve both been charged with capital murder.

She also added that “death is on the table” for the two if convicted.

Officials also noted that there is a third person of interest wanted in the case who is still at-large, but they hope to make an arrest soon in the coming days. No additional details were provided regarding this third suspect.

Crime Stoppers are currently waiting to learn which tip (or tips) led to the arrest of both suspects, as Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner announced that the reward for information leading to arrests in the case would garner a $40,000 reward. 

Houston Rockets team owner Tillman Fertitta also added to that reward, putting up $60,000 of his own money for information that would lead to the suspects being arrested.

Detective Briscoe’s body was returned to New Orleans earlier in August, where a public viewing to honor his life was held on August 27th at the Mahalia Jackson Theater and his funeral was held the day after at the Xavier University Convocation Center.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Earlier in August, we at Law Enforcement Today shared the initial report of when Detective Briscoe was the victim identified in the fatal shooting in Houston. 

Here’s that previous report. 


HOUSTON, TX – The off-duty officer who was shot and killed at a Houston restaurant earlier in August has been identified as a New Orleans Police detective who had served with the department for 13 years.

Authorities say that the detective was one of two people shot during an armed robbery, where the victims complied with the robbers before being shot.

On August 21st, New Orleans Detective Everett Briscoe was out dining on the patio area of the Grotto Ristorante in Houston when two armed suspects approached a group of people at the patio and demanded that they hand over all their belongings.

Witnesses say that the group of diners had complied with the robbers’ demands, yet one of the suspects reportedly fired their weapon – killing Detective Briscoe and injuring another unidentified diner, who is currently in critical condition.

New Orleans Police Chief Shaun Ferguson was fighting back tears when he confirmed the passing of Detective Briscoe, describing the pain of having to inform the late officer’s wife and children that their father was stolen from them.

Later taking to Twitter, Chief Ferguson wrote the following:

“I am extremely heartbroken about the death of my dear friend and brother Detective Everette Briscoe who was killed while off-duty in Houston, Texas. I am praying for the family of Det. Briscoe and for the family of the second victim in this incident.”

During the press conference held on August 22nd, New Orleans City Councilman Jay Banks spoke of Detective Briscoe highly, referring to him as a “gem” and a “jewel”:

“I’ve known Everett for a very long time. Actually, when he and Terrell started dating and had gotten married, I’ve known Everett. And I’m going to tell you, Everett was a gem – he was a jewel.

He loved his community, and he did everything he could to help make it better. Not just as a police officer, but as a citizen. It is very true that we lost a really good one.”

With his voice cracking, and struggling to hold back tears, Banks continued:

“And y’all, I’ve got to tell you, I’m about tired of doing this. I was at the house last night, Nick started his senior year, Terrell was asking me ‘Who is going to teach him how to tie his tie?’

I…I…there was no answer, because the only answer she wanted to hear was Everett is going to walk through the door – but he’s not.”

“This cancer of senseless violence has to stop. And I hear all these people talking about they’ve got a cure for crime, and they know how to stop crime – well tell me.

No other family should have to go through this. Nobody else should have to stand at one of these podiums and talk about this. We keep doing this. If I had the answer, I promise you, I would have done it.”

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner announced that information leading to the arrest of the people responsible for the killing of Detective Briscoe have been increased to $10,000:

“The rewards for the arrest of persons who shot and killed an off-duty [New Orleans Police] officer and critically injured his friend in the 4700 block of Westheimer and a young father on I-10 near Federal have both been increased to $10K.”

“Please provide information that can lead to their arrest by contacting [Houston Police] Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or [Crime Stoppers Houston] at 713-222-TIPS (8477).”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts