‘It’s time for us to come together’: Little girl, 7, shot and killed while riding in her mother’s car


NEW ORLEANS, LA – A family is grieving after a little girl was shot and killed while riding in her mother’s vehicle in New Orleans, Louisiana.

At this time, there are no leads in the senseless death that happened the day after Christmas.

On December 26th, 24-year-old Maquisha Burton was driving in the area of General DeGaulle Drive and Hendee Street with her two children when she reported hearing gunfire just before 9 pm.

After hearing the shots, Maquisha quickly realized that her seven-year-old daughter, Dillan Burton, had been struck by the gunfire.

Maquisha drove to the 1200 block of Milton Street and called 911 for help. As police and medics arrived on the scene, they attempted all life saving measures and transported Dillan to a nearby hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

A man who lives in the area of the shooting, Charles Dillon, spoke to 4WWL about the tragedy of the incident. He said:

“We have to do better. We have to do better as people, as a community, we have to do better. We’ve always had violence, unfortunately.

We live in New Orleans, we’ve always had violence, but it has gotten younger and younger, and this is senseless to me. These youngsters are losing their lives and they haven’t even gotten a chance to live.”

The New Orleans Police Department located video surveillance footage from a camera near the scene of the shooting which captured what they believe is the vehicle involved. They released a still shot of that video which shows what appears to be a white or silver Chevrolet truck with a bedcover.

At this time, it does not appear that the New Orleans Police Department has any indication if Maquisha was targeted in the shooting or if it was just some random violent act by whomever fired the gun.

Regardless of the motive, the violent death of anyone is senseless, especially when it is the life of a young child that is lost.

New Orleans Police Department Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson and the Democratic Mayor of New Orleans LaToya Cantrell issued a joint statement on the tragic incident. Their statement read:

“We stand in shock over the violence that claimed the life of a 7-year-old child, the day after Christmas. It is unbearably tragic.

As a City, as a community – we reject this. How often have said ‘one is too many?’ This one, alone, is too much. This child deserved better of us.

Somebody out there knows who pulled the trigger. We need them to come forward. The NOPD is devoting the full force of our resources to holding this shooter accountable —and we will demand the same of our partners in the Courts and at the DA’s office.

This is a time for us to come together. This will not be tolerated by us as leaders of our City, or our people.”

As the New Orleans Police Department is working diligently to seek justice for young Dillan, Tiffany Brooks has established a GoFundMe account to help the family with funeral expenses during this difficult time. The page reads:

“Dillan Burton was a vibrant, jovial, loving little girl. Her life was cut short tragically on 12/26. No parent should have to experience burying their child. If you have the means to support her family through this unbearable loss, please do.”

The New Orleans Police Department is asking anyone with any information that can lead to the arrest and conviction of those responsible to please contact them.

If you do not want to contact the police department direct, you can call the Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans or contact them through their webpage.  

Anyone with information that is determined credible can claim a reward of up to $5,000 for homicide cases.

Two men arrested and charged with the attempted murder of a Chicago cop after shooting him during a traffic stop

Suspect who murdered man eating Thanksgiving dinner walks after D.A. gives him sweetheart deal

NORRISTOWN, PA – The gun-toting teenage criminal accused of firing the stray shot that killed a man who was eating Thanksgiving dinner with his family in Norristown should have been in prison.
That’s because the suspect, Kevon Clarke, 19, of Norristown, with a lengthy rap sheet, was previously arrested on May 26th, and charged with carrying an unlicensed firearm, plus carrying firearms in public. 
Only 13 days earlier, Clarke had been convicted of possessing a firearm in juvenile court.
But after his May 26th arrest, on Nov. 3rd, in a guilty plea that was negotiated in record speed, the D.A.’s office under Larry Krasner gave Clarke a sentence of six to 23 months in the county jail, plus three years probation.
The deal amounted to a fake sentence, because as part of the negotiated plea bargain, D.A.’s office offered Clarke immediate parole, even though he had served less than his minimum sentence of six months after he pleaded guilty to a gun crime.
Clarke could have been sentenced to one to two years in state prison because he was a repeat offender.
But thanks to the sweetheart deal arranged by the D.A.’s office under Krasner, on Nov. 3rd, Clarke got to walk immediately. 
A veteran prosecutor who reviewed Clarke’s court records said that a suspect going from arrest to a negotiated guilty plea in little over five months was incredibly fast; only one out of a hundred gun cases in the D.A.’s office, the veteran prosecutor estimated, are handled that quickly. 
In negotiating the sweetheart deal with Clarke, the district attorney’s office under Krasner also ignored three recent arrests that violated the terms of Clarke’s juvenile supervision based on a previous May 2019 gun arrest. 
If the D.A.’s office had done its job and prosecuted Clarke for violating the terms of his supervision as a juvenile, the veteran prosecutor said, instead of letting Clarke walk, he would have been in prison on Thanksgiving.
And he would have had to stay there all the way until Christmas, 2023. 
“Instead of seeking justice or protecting the community,” said the veteran prosecutor who sought anonymity, the focus in the D.A.’s office under Krasner in this case was, “how quickly can we get this guy out of jail; that’s the only motivation in how they resolved this case.”
As far as the veteran prosecutor was concerned, giving a sweetheart deal to an armed and dangerous criminal like Clarke was just plain “ridiculous.”
Clarke’s case was similar to the case just last month of another armed and dangerous teenager.
Police had previously arrested Latif Williams, 17, on Aug. 14th for an armed carjacking but the D.A.’s office under Krasner withdrew the case, dropping a total of eight charges against the suspect.
It was the fourth time in a row that Williams had been arrested over a three-year period, only to have the D.A. drop the charges.
On Nov. 28th, according to police, Williams attempted to carjack another victim. But according to police, Samuel Collington, a 21-year-old Temple University student, fought back, so Williams allegedly shot Collington twice in the chest. He died a half hour later. 
Despite his youthful age, Clarke is another veteran criminal with a rap sheet that features eight arrests, the first of which happened in 2016, when he was 15, for simple assault. 
On Dec. 13th, Clarke was arrested by the U.S. Marshall’s Fugitive Task Force after they found him hiding out on Whitby Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia. He was charged with first-degree murder, third degree murder, reckless endangerment, plus two gun charges.
On Thanksgiving Day, police said, Clarke, his girlfriend and two friends were kicked out of another Thanksgiving celebration in Norristown. According to the Inquirer, the host of the party accused Clarke’s girlfriend of stealing liquor bottles from their home. 
The girlfriend was supposed to return the liquor. But when the girlfriend’s cousin arrived at Clarke’s home to pick up the booze, Clarke came outside brandishing a gun. The cousin decided to flee. As she drove off, she heard multiple shots. 
According to police, one of those shots ripped though a kitchen window and struck Edilberto Miguel Pelaez Moctezuma,  25, in the torso as was sitting at the table eating Thanksgiving dinner with his family.
The victim was flown to Penn Presbyterian, where he was pronounced dead. 
According to reporter Steve Keeley of Fox 29, detectives subsequently found seven .40 caliber shell casings, six 9 mm shell casings, and one live round in the vicinity of the crime scene.
When he was arrested On May 26th as an adult, Clarke was still under supervision for his crimes as a juvenile. 
As a juvenile, he was arrested on Sept. 19, 2017 and charged with terroristic threats and aggravated assault, in addition to other charges, but the D.A.’s office withdrew the case, and dropped all 13 charges against him.
On May 8, 2019, police arrested Clarke and charged him with carrying unlicensed firearms, carrying firearms in public, possession of a firearm by a minor, and conspiracy.
On May 12, 2021, Clarke was found an to be an adjudicated delinquent, the equivalent of a guilty plea, on the charge of possession of a firearm by a minor. Under terms of the agreement, the D.A.’s office withdrdew all the other charges. 
Court records show that Clarke had an inability to stay out of trouble. On four occasions from May 12, 2017 until July 11, 2019, Clarke was taken off of a GPS and had to be placed back in custody.
On July 10, 2019, police arrested Clarke again for carrying unlicensed firearms, possession of a firearm by a minor, carrying firearms in public, and conspiracy. But on Aug. 22, 2019, all the charges against Clarke were withdrawn by the D.A.’s office.
On July 16, 2020, Clarke was arrested again in Montgomery County for disorderly conduct, and public drunkenness; on July 27, 2020, he pleaded guilty to both charges.
On Jan 14, 2021, police arrested Clarke again and charged him with indecent assault, but on Sept, 8, 2021, the D.A.’s office under Krasner dropped the charge. 
The D.A.’s office gave Clarke immediate parole on Nov. 3rd. Just 22 days later on Thanksgiving Day, Clarke was accused of murdering Edilberto Miguel Pelaez Moctezuma.
“They don’t care about public safety,” the veteran prosecutor said about the D.A.’s office under Larry Krasner. 
“They only care about emptying the jails.” 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts