LA: Officers injured, patrol vehicles destroyed, 400 people arrested, National Guard activated


LOS ANGELES, CA – Friday night and early Saturday morning, Los Angeles – like countless other cities – erupted into violent riots.

Police are reporting that more than 400 people were arrested overnight after violent confrontations, business vandalism and theft.

At least five officers were injured and patrol vehicles were vandalized.  There was extensive destruction of property and theft of businesses, including jewelers and restaurants.

Michael Moore, Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, asked for peaceful protests.

Which is interesting, given the fact that he’s been working with the Mayor to block previous protests by people who don’t want to be locked down.

“I am asking everyone in Los Angeles to come together and find the ability to peacefully express their individual and collective nonconformity, while at the same time maintaining the safety of all Angelenos,” said Moore.

Earlier in the day, the LAPD had ordered protesters to disperse after vandalism erupted in downtown streets.

The arrests came when many of the protesters refused to leave.

Early Sunday morning, National Guard troops deployed onto the streets of Los Angeles.

It was a dramatic move that came after a day of escalating violence.

During overnight hours, demonstrators burned Los Angeles Police Department cruisers, threw objects at officers and looted retail businesses, including the Apple Store and Nordstrom at the Grove shopping mall.

As things exploded Saturday night, the mayor ordered a night curfew for downtown L.A.

That extended to the entire city an hour later.

Less than an hour after that, the called in the National Guard.  That hasn’t happened since the 1992 riots that erupted after the police officers who beat Rodney King were found not guilty.

One large crowd first gathered at Pan Pacific Park off Beverly Boulevard.  That’s where they chanted, “Defund police” and “Prosecute killer cops,” and waved signs at a rally organized by Black Lives Matter and social justice group BLD PWR.

Speakers at the rally demanded less public money for police departments and for schools and prisons to be overhauled.

“We’re living in the middle of an uprising,” Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors told the group. “Let’s be clear: We are in an uprising for black life.”

The violence escalated throughout the day, leading to more than a dozen destroyed or defaced LAPD cruisers sitting abandoned on 3rd Street.

Windows of the vehicles were smashed, mirrors ripped out and the vehicles’ bodies scrawled with anti-police slogans.

Protesters spray-painted “Cops and Klan go hand and hand” on the side of a Citibank on Fairfax Avenue and “Eat the Rich” on the Writers Guild of America building.

Chief Moore begged for peace.

“This is not the solution,” he said, standing next to broken glass from the Nordstrom facade. “We haven’t given up on L.A., and L.A. shouldn’t give up on itself. We can pull around this. … Policing doesn’t fix these kinds of societal problems. I need all of L.A. to step up right now and be part of the solution.”

The violence was all over the country.

Police are searching for a vehicle that seriously injured four people, including three Denver officers on Saturday night. 

And while the search is on for that suspect… the police chief is warning they’re also looking for the people responsible for hiding weapons and gasoline in protest areas.

First – the hit and run.  It happened at 16th Avenue and Logan Street, in the Uptown neighborhood.

Denver: Car hits, seriously injuries three cops, takes off. Chief - Weapons and gasoline planted in protest areas.
Denver: Car hits, seriously injuries three cops, takes off. Chief – Weapons and gasoline planted in protest areas.

Police said that although there were no life-threatening injuries, some of the victims had serious bodily injuries.

Now police are searching for the suspect vehicle, a Chevrolet Cobalt or Cruze with the Wyoming license plate No. 59722.

Police said it might have extensive front-end damage, police said.

Anyone with information about the vehicle is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867).

Local media reports that more than a dozen police vehicles were at the emergency entrance to Denver Health hospital about 11:45 p.m.

Now to the investigation into the weapons.

Denver Police Chief Paul Pazen said officers confiscated weapons in the protest area Saturday afternoon.  Among them?  Canisters of gasoline.

Pazen showed reporters a picture of some of the weapons that officers found inside of a backpack.

They included a hatchet and a heavy chain, and he said officers also found two five-gallon canisters of gas that were planted in the area.

“Nothing like that has any place in a peaceful protest and we need to make sure that the good people of Denver who want to have their voices heard, they police themselves,” Pazen said.

“They make sure these individual agitators do not take control or hijack their peaceful message.”

Pazen said:

“We do have individuals who are not Denverites who are coming into our city to cause great harm.”

He was fuming.

“We want to support people who peacefully march but we will hold those people accountable, these agitators that are hijacking this very important and powerful message that we as a country are facing,” Pazen said.

And the FBI is investigating after lasers were used to repeatedly target a news helicopter and police chopper.

“A spokesperson for the Denver Police Department confirms their helicopter, which was monitoring the protests, was also hit with a laser,” according to Fox 31.

Photojournalist Angel Rosado was inside the SkyFOX chopper when they were hit by a laser, and he said it was clear the person was aiming at them.

“When these lasers hit your cockpit, it refracts, and it fills your entire cockpit with green light for a moment, kind of blinding light, for a moment,” Rosado explained.

Denver police reportedly responded to the home in question shortly after, and handed the case over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

“At this point, the FBI says it’s still gathering information, and no arrests have been made,” the Fox 31 report said.

Pointing a laser at an aircraft is a felony punishable by up to five years in jail, according to the FBI’s website.

“Aiming a laser pointer at an aircraft is a serious matter and a violation of federal law,” Assistant Director of the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division Ron Hosko said in 2014.

“It is important that people understand that this is a criminal act with potentially deadly repercussions,” he added.

Now to Chicago, where the “peaceful protests” resulted in anything but peace on Saturday.

On the contrary, at least four people were shot downtown and one of them was killed.

There’s also been significant chatter that ‘Anonymous’ hacked Chicago police radios and played the song ‘Fuck the police’.

CPD administration has not confirmed that the radios were hacked.

All of this as a well-financed “bail fund” promises to bail out people arrested in the riots.

The murder happened about 11 p.m. in River North in the 100 block of West Hubbard Street.

Police said Bernardino Mercado, 26, was walking on the sidewalk when he exchanged words with a male suspect in a car.

According to Chicago police, the suspect got out of the car and started hitting the male with a handgun – then shot Mercado in the chest before continuing to strike the other person with the weapon. 

He then got back in his car and drove off.

Police said Mercado, who lived in Avondale on the Northwest Side, was pronounced dead at the scene.

At least three more people were shot in the Loop.

One happened about 10:30 p.m. in the 200 block of North Michigan Avenue.  Police said a man, 19, was standing on the sidewalk when he heard gunshots and felt pain.

He brought himself to Stroger Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds and was listed in critical condition.

At about 9:30 p.m., two other people were shot a few blocks away in the first block of West Jackson Boulevard.

Their ages were not immediately known, but both are at the University of Illinois Hospital in good condition.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who has – at best – a strained relationship with the Chicago Police Department that she often attacks – announced a curfew in effect from 9 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m.

A lot of good that did.

Dozens of Chicago police officers were injured after riots erupted again on Saturday night.

This, as countless demonstrators attacked responding officers and – in one horrifying scene – beat and dragged them.  More on that below.

Police Supt. David Brown said gave an overview of the mayhem:

“We had dozens [of officers] injured today,” he said during a press conference Saturday evening, when a citywide curfew was announced.

How many?  They stopped counting.

“We don’t have an ongoing count. We do have one officer with broken bones – I will tell you that’s pretty serious – others who have had minor injuries, but it’s ongoing and the night’s young and this crowd is increasingly more mean-spirited and violent.”

Saturday evening, Law Enforcement Today spoke with an on-duty officer on the condition of anonymity:

“Officers are under attack – and it’s going to get worse.  Rioters are coming in by the busload and they aren’t letting us do anything to stop it.”

But the images speak for themselves.

On Saturday night, video footage hit Twitter showing officers violently attacked and dragged through the streets while masked rioters cheered.

The officers fought desperately to get away and protect each other… to no avail.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who has had countless dustups with the police department, held a press conference shortly after 8 p.m.

She said the protests had “evolved into criminal conduct” and imposed a curfew on the city: from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice.

Lightfoot said she was “disgusted” after seeing protesters use pipes, hammers and other objects to damage property.

“I’m here to call you out for your recklessness,” she said to rioters.

“I’ve seen protesters hurl projectiles at our police department…bottles of water, urine and lord knows what else,’’ she said.

“I want to express my disappointment and really, my total disgust at the number of others who came to today’s protests armed for all out battle.’

Chicago police Superintendent David Brown was also at the press conference.

“We will be taking you into custody when you destroy property,” or burn cars, said Brown. “That’s just facts.”

The crowd numbers grew to more than 3,000 people by 2 p.m. and started making way onto Lake Shore Drive and shut down portions of the roadway.

By 3:30 p.m., hundreds began to turn violent, throwing fireworks, bottles and we’re told gasoline at officers.

Then came the vandalism, as they hit buildings, cars and a bus shelter.

It didn’t take long for reports of injuries to come in, including at a police sergeant who had his arm broken near Trump Tower.

By 4 p.m., the crowds had split into multiple groups, escalating violence against law enforcement.

By 5 p.m., there were at least a dozen calls of 10-1, which is a police emergency, as they worked to control the crowd.

Rioters tried to overturn a Chicago police car.  Others broke out into fights with police officers.

Around 7:30 p.m. at Dearborn and Hubbard streets, a police vehicle was flipped over.

Mayor Lightfoot, of course, seized the opportunity to attack the President.

“It’s not easy when we have a president who is inciting violence.”

“Let’s be better than him,” said Lightfoot.

Watch below as she’s “better than him”.

She made sure to urge people to wear masks while rioting.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First


Related Posts