Officer who was shot in the head released from hospital. He had a 1% chance of surviving. ‘A miracle’


KANSAS CITY, MO – Friends and family members of a Kansas City Police officer who was shot in the head earlier in July are relieved to see their loved one making their way out of the Medical Center on July 23rd. Because when the officer was first shot, their odds of survival were extremely low. 

Dr. Michael Moncure spoke about the shooting that happened on July 2nd, noting that mere minutes would have decided on whether the unnamed officer would live or die: 

“Five more minutes and he would not have had a good outcome and probably would not have survived”

That same doctor was the first surgeon to see the wounded officer on July 2nd, and at the time doctors agreed that there was roughly a 1% chance of the officer pulling through after being shot in the head. 

Dr. John Gianino is among those thrilled that now 21 days removed from the near-fatal shooting, this officer will now be engaged in a rehab program: 

“We’re all overjoyed at the outcome that the officer had. He’s on his way to an excellent rehab center that specializes in traumatic brain injury, and I have all the hope in the world.”

The initial surgery that the officer underwent was said to have lasted 3 to 4 hours. While no gunshot wound to the head is considered good, the fact that the officer was struck on the right side of his head vastly increases his chances of having a beneficial recovery. 

Dr. Dustin Neel explained his elation when seeing a responsive gesture from the officer recently: 

“We’re most ecstatic about his thumbs up on the way out because that means that his brain is able to process the information that he’s been told, allowed to then make a decision, and then react to that decision in a coordinated fashion.”

A letter from the officer’s family was read at a press conference held outside of the hospital, which was read by Kansas City Officer Doaa El-Ashkar: 

“We have seen miracle upon miracle in the past three weeks at Truman. A mere ‘thank you’ seems not enough for a life, but we would like to thank all the staff at the hospital from the bottom of our hearts for the care, compassion, dedication to their callings and everything that was done to make this outcome possible.”

Medical professionals say that if all goes well during the rehab period, this officer may be able to resume a normal life once again. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here’s Law Enforcement Today’s original report on the shooting. 

Police say a second KCPD officer was shot on July 2nd… and the suspect is believed to be dead.

According to the Kansas City Police Department, gunfire broke out near 31st Street and Van Brunt Boulevard just before 5 p.m. Thursday.

The officer was taken to a hospital – that’s according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Kansas City police later said the officer was shot in the head and was undergoing emergency surgery.

Police are telling the public to avoid the area until further notice.

Officials at first said they were looking for at least one suspect – at least a dozen KCPD and highway patrol cars were gathered at the scene.

Later, a police spokesperson told the media that the suspect had died.

Thursday morning, just hours before, another KCPD officer was shot, along with two others.  This, after an alleged robbery in northeast Kansas City.

Sgt. Bill Lowe of the Missouri State Highway Patrol told the media that a Ride KC bus driver called police after she witnessed a robbery around 10:35 a.m. and saw the suspect board her bus.

Lowe told the media that the suspect shot an officer who tried to enter the back of the bus near the intersection of Independence and Hardesty avenues.

Then the suspect opened fire and shot the bus driver before a second officer shot the suspect.

The officer who was hit was treated and released from a hospital, police said and according to Lowe, the bus driver had non life-threatening injuries.

Mayor Quinton Lucas took to Twitter following the news of the second officer shooting.

“This has been a tough day for the men and women of [KCPD] and the people of Kansas City,” Lucas wrote. “Please pray for our wounded officer, all of our law enforcement community, and their families. I thank them all for their courage and service.”

This story is developing and will be updated when more information becomes available.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts