Guy who took selfie in Capitol during January incident takes plea deal, still faces nearly two years in prison


WASHINGTON, DC – One of the rioters who participated in the events of January 6th has reportedly pleaded guilty to one count of obstruction of an official proceeding. 

While the offense can carry up to 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $250K, a plea deal will reportedly see the rioter only facing between 15 and 21 months in prison.

According to reports, 38-year-old Paul Allard Hodgkins has accepted a plea deal with respect to his participation in the January 6th riot that took place at the Capitol building. 

Hodgkins was reportedly seen on camera inside of the Senate Chambers adorning a Trump shirt and flag, which is certainly compelling evidence of him having unlawfully breached the Capitol building. 

However, it is unclear if Hodgkins engaged in any other unlawful activity outside of the aforementioned. 

On June 2nd, Hodgkins reportedly entered a plea of guilty to one count of obstruction of an official proceeding, which said felony typically can see someone facing up to 20 years in prison – on top of fines up to a quarter-million dollars. 

However, Judge Randolph Ross estimated that the defendants time in prison would be somewhere in the realm of 15 and 21 months, alongside a considerably smaller fine, around $2,000.

Reports indicate that he was originally charged with four additional felonies after his February arrest, which were dismissed as part of the plea deal.

Hodgkins will be sentenced on July 19th. 

Hodgkins now marks the second Capitol rioter to have pleaded guilty, with the first having been the guitarist for the heavy metal band Iced Earth, Jon Schaffer, back in April

Reportedly, Schaffer has informed authorities that he’s a member of the Oath Keepers militia, and he’s slated to fully cooperate with the government’s investigation into the January 6th riot. 

Schaffer is reportedly out on bail while he is awaiting sentencing. 

A plea bargain is also reportedly in the works for New Mexico elected official Couy Griffin, who was allegedly outside of the Capitol building during the riot but was still within the confines of a “restricted area.”

On January 18th, Griffin was charged with entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority. Griffin feels that since he didn’t actually enter the Capitol building, his charges should be dismissed. 

Court documents show that Griffin’s attorney’s have filed a motion to dismiss, citing the case that was dismissed against Christopher Kelly earlier this year since Kelly was noted as having not entered the Capitol building. 

The motion pertaining to Griffin’s request for a dismissal notes in reference to the Kelly case: 

“Since this development followed briefing on Griffin’s motion to dismiss, Griffin respectfully requests that the Court take it into account in considering his arguments concerning arbitrary enforcement of § 1752, in light of the government’s concession that Griffin did not enter the Capitol Building.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other reports pertaining to the Capitol riot, Hillary Clinton – among others – have continued to spread the blatant falsehood that a police officer was killed during the riot. 

Here’s that previous report. 


In the wake of Republicans blocking a bill that would have created a commission dedicated to investigating the events of January 6th at the Capitol building, Hillary Clinton took to Twitter to repeat the lie that a police officer was killed by the unruly mob present at the Capitol on January 6th.

On May 28th, Republicans in the Senate blocked the creation of a House-passed bill that sought to form a bi-partisan commission to further investigate the events that led up to and took place on January 6th during the riot at the Capitol building.

While six Republicans did reportedly vote to advance the bill, the advancement fell short of the 60 votes needed to move forward, garnering only 54 votes to proceed.

Even though criticism of the blocking of this commission is fairly reasonable, Hillary Clinton took to Twitter to boast falsehoods regarding the January 6th riot as a means to shame Republicans who voted against the commission:

“An angry mob attacked our Capitol, our lawmakers, and our election. They killed a policeman. And Republican leaders would rather we all not know more about what happened.”

The lie of course is the notion that members of the mob “killed a policeman” during the riot.

With little surprise, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer also alleged on May 26th that a police officer was killed during the January 6th riot on Twitter, writing:

“January 6th was the culmination of months of lies about our elections propagated by Trump and his allies. Capitol Police officers were brutalized and one was killed in the attack. We cannot let the Big Lie fester. The Senate will vote on the January 6th Commission”

This mentioning by Clinton and Schumer of an officer being killed during the riot is obviously a reference to Officer Brian Sicknick.

A homicide investigation was initially opened regarding Officer Sicknick’s death, as he reportedly collapsed several hours after the riot had ended at the Capitol building and passed away during the evening of January 7th.

Yet, in the weeks following the launch of the investigation, authorities were reportedly unable to find evidence to suggest that Officer Sicknick suffered any fatal injuries during the January 6th riot.

There were investigative theories being floated that “Sicknick became ill after interacting with a chemical irritant like pepper spray or bear spray,” but a medical examiner’s report released in April found that Officer Sicknick “died of natural causes.”

Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Francisco Diaz revealed on April 19th that Officer Sicknick passed away after suffering a series of strokes. The ME further found that he didn’t suffer any allergic reactions to any chemical irritants, nor any evidence to external or internal injuries.

There are arrests linked to an alleged assault committed against Officer Sicknick on January 6th, which two suspects, 32-year-old Julian Elie Khater and 39-year-old George Pierre Tanios, were charged in connection back in March.

According to reports, Tanios was the individual that allegedly brought the pepper spray that Officer Sicknick came into contact with during the riot, which Khater is reportedly responsible for spraying the chemical irritant Officer Sicknick and others.

However, with the ME’s ruling of Officer Sicknick’s death being one of natural causes, this makes the likelihood of any homicide charges being levied with respect to the officer’s death slim.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts