Police officer attacked in crowd by angry mob after he ‘ran towards danger’ into the sounds of gunfire


JACKSONVILLE, FL– Riots are picking up again across the country as the weather is warming, and officers again have become the enemy to those taking to the streets. 

A police officer in Jacksonville, Florida was attempting to respond to a 911 call when he was attacked by an angry mob on Thursday, June 3rd. 

The incident, which was caught on video and posted by a person on Twitter with the name of Duval Promo, shows the officer entering a crowd of people after a report of shots fired. 

A video posted by Duval Promo shows an officer entering a crowd of people and getting thrown to the ground as fights broke out. The officer reportedly did not know if people were in danger, or if there was an active shooter, so he chose not to wait and ran straight into danger. 

The video shows several people, two of whom appear to be female, attacking the officer while he was on the ground for a short time before the officer was able to get up and regain his footing. 

The officer, who clearly has a rifle strapped to his back, chose never to draw a weapon, despite the fact that he was being attacked while trying to do his job.

On Saturday, June 5th, Steve Zona, the President of the police union in Jacksonville, said on Twitter that officers were responding to a report of gunshots

Zona wrote on Twitter:

“When gunshots ring out, our officers will not wait to respond and eliminate the threat.”

The tweet went on to say:

“This officer ran towards danger, alone, to make sure some of the very people who attacked him would be safe,” 

Zona continued on, saying:

“It’s sad no one from this crowd chose to help our officer but we don’t believe that’s a true representation of our community. We know you have our backs and we will continue to run towards danger to keep you safe.”

At least one arrest was made in the attack, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office told CBS47

Apparently even children are now attacking police officers as well. Recently Law Enforcement Today reported on two children, ages 14 and 12 who engaged in a gun battle with Florida deputies after breaking into a home and stealing firearms. Here is more on that story. 

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

VOLUSIA COUNTY, FL – According to officials, a 14-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy broke into a home, acquired several firearms from inside said home, and allegedly engaged in a shootout with Volusia County Sheriff’s deputies on the evening of June 1st.

Surprisingly, no deputies were harmed, but the 14-year-old girl was reportedly non-fatally shot during the exchanged gunfire.

According to a press release from the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, a 12-year-old boy, identified as Travis O’Brien, and a 14-year-old girl, identified as Nicole Jackson, had both ran away from a group home and broke into a house in Enterprise.

Apparently, the two juveniles had armed themselves with a shotgun and an AK-47 that was found inside of the home they’d broken into. Officials say that O’Brien had fired upon deputies responding to the break-in with the AK-47.

Jackson also allegedly fired at deputies. 

Deputies had taken cover while they were coming under fire. The standoff between deputies and the suspects lasted over 30 minutes, according to officials.

Jackson had allegedly emerged from the garage while pointing a shotgun at deputies, according to the VCSO press release:

“The 14-year-old girl was shot and wounded after she came out of the garage at 1050 Enterprise Osteen Road and pointed a shotgun at deputies outside the house. The 12-year-old boy, armed with an AK-47, finally put down his weapon shortly thereafter and was not injured.

“Both children had fired at deputies multiple times throughout the incident as deputies attempted to resolve it peacefully. No deputies were injured.”

Jackson was reportedly shot in the abdomen and arm, with her last being reported in stable condition but still hospitalized.

Sheriff Mike Chitwood commented on the case, rhetorically asking what the world has come to with children shooting at law enforcement:

“I don’t know what to say. Where have we gone wrong that a 12-year-old and 14-year-old think it’s OK to take on law enforcement?”

Charging affidavits for both of the juveniles indicate that they’re both being charged with attempted first-degree murder of a law enforcement officer and armed burglary.

During a police interview with O’Brien after he was taken into custody, the youth allegedly told investigators that once both he and Jackson saw deputies had responded to the home they’d broken into, Jackson allegedly told him:

“I’m gonna roll this down like GTA.”

Officials say that O’Brien had allegedly admitted to him and Jackson knowing that they were shooting at law enforcement officers during the standoff.

Sheriff Chitwood stated that O’Brien told investigators that “he knew they were cops when he shot them because he wanted to harm them.”

Sheriff Chitwood noted that O’Brien has been in foster care since at least 2017, and while he has no criminal record, there have been documented incidents of him threatening people and school.

Apparently, O’Brien had at one point threatened a fellow student at school that he would kill him and “spread his guts all over the bleachers.”

Jackson, however, had been previously arrested for an arson case, which Sheriff Chitwood derided how the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice handled that previous case with Jackson:

“DJJ, who’s the gatekeeper, decides that arson isn’t a violent crime. So they’re going to return her back to her mother. Well, her mother obviously can’t control her, so they placed her into foster care.”

Sheriff Chitwood noted that Jackson had run away from foster care numerous times after being placed into the system, then adding “and then we all know what happened on June 1.”

O’Brien made an appearance before a judge on the morning of June 3rd where his charges were read off to him. Judge Michael Orfinger ordered the juvenile to be held for the next 21 days or until the next court order pertaining to the criminal case.

It is unclear when Jackson will be making her first court appearance since she’s still under care at the hospital.

This is a developing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight in this case.

In another disturbing cade from Florida, a 14-year-old boy is being charged as an adult for the fatal stabbing of a 13-year-old girl that happened in May. 

Here’s that previous report. 


JACKSONVILLE, FL – The 14-year-old suspect charged with the fatal stabbing of a 13-year-old girl is reportedly going to be tried as an adult, according to reports. The teen suspect is facing life in prison after authorities say he stabbed the victim 114 times.

On May 9th, the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office reportedly discovered the body of 13-year-old Tristyn Bailey, a young cheerleader at Patriot Oaks Academy in St. Johns, at approximately 6:00 p.m. in a wooded area within the Jacksonville suburb.

During the course of the investigation, authorities uncovered surveillance footage from approximately 1:15 a.m. on May 9th where Bailey can be seen walking in a residential area. The same surveillance footage also showcased the suspect, 14-year-old Aiden Fucci.

Fucci was initially treated as a witness while Bailey was first considered missing, which Fucci reportedly took a selfie from the back of a police vehicle while being brought in for questioning prior to the young girl’s body being discovered.

In the selfie, Fucci is making a peace sign and captioned the selfie with:

“Hey guys has inybody (sic) seen Tristyn lately.”

Authorities later announced the arrest of Fucci on May 10th, noting that both he and the victim attended school together.

An arrest report noted that “several items of evidentiary value were located within the defendant’s bedroom which were consistent with clothing observed in the aforementioned video surveillance.” Among those pieces of evidence were “items” that “yielded a presumptive positive test result for the presence of blood.”

On May 27th, 7th Judicial Circuit State Attorney R.J. Larizza confirmed that Fucci will be tried as an adult for the murder of Bailey:

“It brings me no pleasure to be charging a 14-year-old as an adult with first-degree murder. But I can tell you also the executive team and I reviewed all the facts, all the circumstances, the applicable law and it was not a difficult decision to make, that he should be charged as an adult. It’s a sad decision and a sad state of affairs.”

Larizza stated that the term “horrific” was an “understatement” to describe what Bailey endured when she was killed:

“To say that it was horrific could arguably be made as an understatement… Bottom line, premeditation can be inferred certainly from just the sheer number of stab wounds that Tristyn Bailey had to suffer.”

Officials say that Bailey was stabbed 114 times, which 49 of those stab wounds appeared to be “defensive wounds” along the victim’s arms, hands and head while she tried to ward off her attacker.

Larizza explained that every time the suspect brought the edged weapon down, it was another sign of “premeditation”:

“Every time that arm went back and every time that arm went down, that was premeditation.”

Larizza also noted that Fucci had allegedly told his friends that he sought to kill someone, in a very similar fashion as Bailey was killed, without noting who he intended to murder:

“He didn’t say who that was, but he indicated to witnesses that he was going to kill someone by taking them in the woods and stabbing them, which are certainly the facts of this case.”

Authorities say that fatal stabbing of the young girl was so brutal that the tip of the knife had broken off in the young girl’s head.

St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office commander Howard “Skip” Cole noted the unsettling nature of the details of this murder, while voicing support of Fucci being tried as an adult:

“It’s difficult to hear all that… We fully support the grand jury indictment.”

Since Fucci is under the age of 18, he cannot be subject to the death penalty if convicted. However, Fucci does face life in prison for the offense.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts